Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently installaed a towbar myself with no problems. It recommended that additional cooling fan will need to be fitted, but I don't think in our weather I will need to fit, but was wondering if anyone had installed the fan, if so how difficult was it and what parts were used?

Thanks

James....

·
Registered
240 Posts
What year is your car?

Chances are your car already has the towing additions already installed. I think 2010 onwards in the UK had towing preparation as standard.

Did you install the trailer control module and was there a red multi terminal plug already in the car that you simply plugged into the trailer control module? If so then you already have the trailer prep. If you didn't do this then I suggest you do it - it is the only way to properly wire your system so that the Q5 will compensate for when you are towing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year is your car?

Chances are your car already has the towing additions already installed. I think 2010 onwards in the UK had towing preparation as standard.

Did you install the trailer control module and was there a red multi terminal plug already in the car that you simply plugged into the trailer control module? If so then you already have the trailer prep. If you didn't do this then I suggest you do it - it is the only way to properly wire your system so that the Q5 will compensate for when you are towing.
Hi CrustyNoodle,

Sadly my car (2.0TDI 170) didn't come with the towing prep (built Jan 2010). Installation completed with a dedicated wiring kit, then coded to accept the towing module, therefore no problems with the wiring.

All I am trying to find out is if anyone who didn't have the trailer prep (pre May 2010 approx.) has installed the additional cooling fan, and if so, any thoughts or maybe a list of parts.

Many thanks

James...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi CrustyNoodle,

Sadly my car (2.0TDI 170) didn't come with the towing prep (built Jan 2010). Installation completed with a dedicated wiring kit, then coded to accept the towing module, therefore no problems with the wiring.

All I am trying to find out is if anyone who didn't have the trailer prep (pre May 2010 approx.) has installed the additional cooling fan, and if so, any thoughts or maybe a list of parts.

Many thanks

James...
I have a 2.0TDI 170 registered Jan 2010. I have had the cooling mods done. The instructions for the wiring kit that was installed with the towbar mentions the cooling mods required, and the fitter I used (Trident Trailers - very good btw) said they had to be done.

I have a parts list somewhere, which I'll dig out, but you need:

Cooling fan
Cooling fan cowling
Cooling fan control module

Part cost was about £420 and fitting was 4 hours. This would have meant a bill of about £1k, but due to the shocking service I received while sorting this and a few other bits out, I ended up paying nothing :)))

As for whether it's required - I suppose it depends upon what you are towing and where. I can imagine the conversation about warranties if there was a problem and you didn't have the extra fan!

If you have a 3.0 TDI, you also need a more powerful alternator, which I guess would increase the cost significantly.

Cheers, Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts