Audi Q5 Forum banner

Adding a Manual Oil Dipstick

75K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Helisupp 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
After 'risking' the first 2 years of ownership of our Q5 relying solely on the electronic MMI oil level indication I thought it was about time I had the ability to manually 'dip' the oil level in the sump.

A Google search for information suggested that the correct dip-stick for our 2.0 TDi was Audi part number: 03L 115 611 E so I duly ordered one from the local dealers a few days ago. Yesterday morning I called by to collect the dipstick for the princely sum of £7.69 GBP (£6.41 + VAT). At last a genuine Audi part which didn't need a prior chat with the bank manager……

My joy of being able to check the oil level independently of the MMI system was, unfortunately, rather short lived:

After removing the blanking plug and prodding my new acquisition down the dip stick tube it became obvious that the end was 'hitting home' before the cap assembly was fully seated (i.e. it was too long). The oil level on the stick also supported the fact that the dip stick was far too long

The handle end of the dip stick is clearly labelled: 03L 115 611 E V120 so all I can assume is that the information around the Internet is either incorrect or perhaps it is relevant for a previous version of the 2.0 TDiengine.

I have measured the distances between the top flange and the levels:

574mm to Maximum mark

586mm to Minimum mark

Can anyone assist me in my quest for the correct part number for the dipstick

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello,

Here is what i have found on a French forum :

1.8/2.0 TFSI: 06J 115 611 E
2.0 TDI: 03L 115 611 E
2.7/3.0 TDI: 059 115 611 AB
3.2 FSI: 06E 115 611 H
S5 4.2: 079 115 611 AB (ancienne réf 079 115 611 AD)

So it seems that you have the good reference, thats strange !

Thomas

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thomas,

Thanks for your reply. I've checked & cross-checked the2.0 TDi dip-stick reference and cannot see why the one that I purchased is incorrect.

Interestingly this post (See Zafi's first post on link below) suggests that the distances should be:

488 = MAX, 512 = MIN

Link:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b8-chassis/109330-2-0-tdi-dip-stick-length.html

Using a length of thick wire as a makeshift dipstick these dimensions do seem to coincide with the oil level in my sump and again indicate that the dip stick that I purchased is far to long (574mm MAX / 586mm MIN).

I'll try & contact Zafi to find out if he has a dipstick and, if so, can he throw any light on this mystery.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Finally after discussions with my local Audi Parts Department, the Service Manager and (most useful of all) Zavi the mystery of the 2.0 TDi dipstick is finally solved: -

The dipstick (Part # 03L 115 611 E) is the 'correct' one: -

Earlier models of the 2.0 TDi engine had a longer dipstick tube to bring the dipstick within easy reach. The dipstick is designed to work with this tube.

Later engines have no hole in the plastic engine cover for the dipstick to poke through.... and consequently have a shorter dipstick tube. Hence the dipstick is approx 75mm too long when used with the shorter tube fitted on the later (Q5) engines. It looks like Audi haven't produced a dipstick for use with the shorter tube

Apparently the dipstick from a Passat 2.0 Bluemotion is pretty much correct length, but the top is slightly different, they are coded by notches under the O-ring, but it will work fine if the notch is filed away.

Audi technicians use a universal dipstick when they are servicing vehicles. This is rather like a ruler with a brass adjustment screw on one end. Hence they can measure the oil level down the shorter tube.

Now if only Audi would realise that a lot of owners would like the additional 'comfort' factor which a traditional dipstick would offer rather than to solely rely on the electronic MMI system

Reactions: Coldspur
#5 ·
Having just taken delivery of my new 225PS 2.0 TFSI Q5 I too am slightly uncomfortable with the absence of a dipstick for the first time ever in any car, never mind my 7th Audi.
The tube is all present and correct and I would like to fit a dipstick but given the above mention of different sized tubes depending on whether the dipstick comes through the plastic soundproofing shroud I wonder if anybody has researched this issue for a petrol engine.
Any relevant information or confirmation of part numbers would be great.

Reactions: BYD
#6 ·
I do not have a dipstick on my Mercedes, so far the electronics have been very reliable in telling me when to top up.

#8 ·
Indeed it is but done < 500 miles so far so not had an opportunity to see what it is really like. Roll on when it is run in and I can open it up. Torque band looks broad and pretty flat on paper so hoping for good mid range performance although it will not have the overtaking ability of my old 3.0 diesel Allroad I do not suppose. Went back to petrol as the V6 diesel is auto only in the UK now (manual still in Germany on A4 quattro but Audi UK will not accept an order for one) and I find the 4 cylinder diesel too rattly for my taste with a narrow torque band. Will probably get some stick from other forum users for that last statement.
Lack of a dipstick is an irritation so will need to do some investigation as not sure I trust the electronic one. Surprised that no-one else has raised concerns about the lack of a dipstick. Maybe I'm just not modern enough.

#9 ·
Audi/BMW and many others have been using electronic dipstick only for a few years now... If it didn't work I think more people would be moaning. I'd just accept it as a modern part of motoring and move on if I were you...

#10 ·
I was aware of Daimler-Benz using it for years but never owned a Bavarian product and certainly never had an Audi without one before. Last car was 2009 and my wife has a 2013 MY Scirocco with a dipstick.
It is very reassuring to be able to dip the oil before a long trip and know that it up to the mark and also easier to guage how much to add if it is low unlike the electronic display where it does not tell you if it needs 300mls, 500mls or whatever and overfilling is not a great idea with a catalyst.
Perhaps my faith in Audi technology is not as strong as others.

#11 ·
With my 23 yr old car, and my 13 yr old car I do exactly this, check oil, tyres, water etc etc most times I drive them.

With my new cars I get in and drive them. If it has a problem it will let me know. If I cannot solve the problem the manufacturer will as it is under warranty. If the car doesn't tell me about a problem and goes bang the manufacturer will fix the problem as the car should have told me...

It's a narrow minded and very technologically trusting stand to take - but it works for me. I don't plan to keep the car beyond the warranty period and so frankly don't care what longer term damage the car might get from my abuse of it (again, pig headed, but I bought the car and I have the right to use it as I see fit so long as it is without the warranty guidelines)...

#14 ·
Engine Setting of adjuster Min oil level Maximum oil level
2.0 TDI 46 0 24
3.0 ltr. TDI
(Type 1 → Anchor)
32 0 16
3.0 ltr. TDI
(Type 2 → Anchor)
87 0 12
2.0 ltr. TFSI
(Type 1 → Anchor)
39 0 24
2.0 ltr. TFSI
(Type 2 → Anchor)
32 0 27
3.0 ltr. TFSI
3.2 ltr. TFSI 132 0 13

#15 ·
Sorry about the above post.

Using tool T40178 from ebay, you can manually check the oil level using the table below

Engine Setting of adjuster Min oil level Maximum oil level
2.0 TDI 46 0 24
3.0 ltr. TDI (Type 1 → Anchor)32 0 16
3.0 ltr. TDI (Type 2 → Anchor)87 0 12
2.0 ltr. TFSI Type 1 → Anchor)39 0 24
2.0 ltr. TFSI(Type 2 → Anchor)32 0 27
3.0 ltr. TFSI 132 0 13
3.2 ltr. TFSI 132 0 13

Type allocation, 6-cyl. TDI engines:
Only type 1 engines were fitted up to and including model year 2012.
From model year 2013 onwards, engine codes CCWA and CCWB are allocated to type 1 engines. The values for type 2 engines apply to all other engine codes.
Type allocation, 4-cyl. TFSI engines:
Only type 1 engines were fitted up to and including model year 2012.
From model year 2013 onwards, engine codes CDNB, CDNC and CHJA are allocated to type 1 engines. The values for type 2 engines apply to all other engine codes.

#16 ·
I can't seem to get the editing done properly, so in summary, you can buy a universl dipstick tool from ebay T40178 and use values stated above to establish the min, max levels. Let me know if you require more info.

#20 ·
Ricky, if you really insist! Type T40178 in ebay.

#21 ·
Shabazmo,

Just returned from sunny Mallorca today, where I only saw 3 Q5s the whole week although Q3s seems quite popular, and my Laser T40178 ordered from an eBay seller had arrived while I was away. I have a 2.0 TFSI with a CNCD engine code (as opposed to a CDNC) which from your January 8th post would appear to be a Type 2 engine so just to clarify; do I set the lower arrowed end of the adjuster to 32 on the upper scale and use 27 & 0 as the max & min level?

Sorry if I have not interpreted your figures correctly.

#22 ·
Crucid, see extract below. So I guess yours is a type 2 engine. If you PM me your email address I will sent you the full instructions. Not sure what you mean, but the bottom of the black adjuster should be set at 32 on the top scale. You then read the bottom scale where the oil should be between 0 and 27.

Type allocation, 4-cyl. TFSI engines:

l Only type 1 engines were fitted up to and including model year 2012.

l From model year 2013 onwards, engine codes CDNB, CDNC and CHJA are allocated to type 1 engines. The values for type 2 engines apply to all other engine codes.

#23 ·

SOLUTION!!!!

Just to let everyone know, I have an Audi A4 B8 2009 2.0TDI Engine, i have done my research just like everyone else about this annoying dipstick issue. My dipstick tube is located underneath engine cover with a plug.

I found a solution at long last!!!!

I purchased this dipstick which was perfectly correct for my vehicle on eBay- CLICK HERE

Now I can always check my oil level on both MMI and manually finally.

#26 ·
As my previous post. Buy the universal dipstick.

#27 ·
I agree with shabazmo, it costs just a few pounds. Well worth it.

#28 ·
Hi just wanted to check I am purchasing a 2011 2.0TDI Q5.
I prefer old fashioned dipsticks.
2 questions
1) with the T40178 tool the settings of 46 0 24 on the Laser website says it is for the 2009 TDI engine. Will this work for my 2011 2.0TDI?
2) What is the amount of oil between the min and max mark ? is it 1 litre?
3) Is the dipstick tube easily accessible? is the bung under the engine cover.

Thanks for help in advance I m pre planning the arrival of my car.

#29 ·
Just trust the gauge I bet you don’t dip your fuel tank and rely on the gauge same thing.

#31 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.