Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Anyone had any experience with 'Adblue'? I was surprised to see this addition next to the fuel filler cap. I notice the manual states that you won't be able to restart the car if you let it run out? I'm hoping it is included in the car as preparation and not as yet 'in use'.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Adblue tank has ~20 liters capacity (or so) which should be enough for ~25000km. Normally it should be refilled during regular service. Adblue liquid level is electronically controlled and you should get warning firs on DIS at 2000km before you run out of it. It is possible to refill on your own - you can buy it at fuel station in 1 liter bottles in emergency. If possible avoid it, however, as it is highly toxic and act as acid, so special care should be taken. At reception can should be fully filled. And yes, if you run out of it you wont be able to start the car, as there is risk of damage to some parts of exhaust system without this component.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adblue tank has ~20 liters capacity (or so) which should be enough for ~25000km. Normally it should be refilled during regular service. Adblue liquid level is electronically controlled and you should get warning firs on DIS at 2000km before you run out of it. It is possible to refill on your own - you can buy it at fuel station in 1 liter bottles in emergency. If possible avoid it, however, as it is highly toxic and act as acid, so special care should be taken. At reception can should be fully filled. And yes, if you run out of it you wont be able to start the car, as there is risk of damage to some parts of exhaust system without this component.
mirekma,
Most informative - just what I was after - many thanks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
What is Adblue?

Presumably from reading here it's some kind of fuel additive?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is Adblue?

Presumably from reading here it's some kind of fuel additive?
Hi Swainey,
I've just discovered in my manual that on vehicles with 'selective catalytic reduction' a solution of UREA!!!! (Adblue) is injected into the exhaust system upstream of the converter to reduce emissions. The adblue tank holds about 23 litres.
My dealer, however, tells me that, although fitted, the system is not as yet in operation and I can just forget it.
Dave.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Strictly speaking it is not fuel addition as it is not mixed with diesel fuel. It is applied later inside exhaust system (somehow sprayed inside catalyst(?)) to facilitate catalytic reduction of nitrogen oxides specific to diesel engines exhaust gases. This helps to meet low pollution norm (like Euro 5). You can find a bit more here:
http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09/experience/technology/?csref=inid_technology
In upper right corner click on See All Technology and then choose TDI video. Some more info about Adblue is at the last section of video.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks Guys.

You learn something everyday!

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Hi Swainey,
I've just discovered in my manual that on vehicles with 'selective catalytic reduction' a solution of UREA!!!! (Adblue) is injected into the exhaust system upstream of the converter to reduce emissions. The adblue tank holds about 23 litres.
My dealer, however, tells me that, although fitted, the system is not as yet in operation and I can just forget it.
Dave.
Well apparently new models do have adblue systems activated because mine has just come up with a system fault in the DIS and when I called yestereday into the dealer they told me it has to go into them. Aparently they have had a few Q5 with faults because when I told her the error she said " Q5 " before I told her.
Error message says countdown milage until car refuses to start so you have to take it in.
Will keep you informed about progress.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have just had to top up AdBlue on my q5 MY2011 (60 plate) after a message came up in the DIS displaying a countdown of 1500 miles before it runs out.

It should be refilled at service intervals but I am 5k short of my next service, so decided to top it up myself. I phoned Audi who wanted £4.70 for just over 1 litre. However a local BP garage was selling it for £10.99 for 10 litres! Guess which one I bought

Anyway, topped up the AdBlue and it must have took aporox 7litres and the warning light went out.

So AdBlue is certainly required on what appears to be the MY2011 models.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Well apparently new models do have adblue systems activated because mine has just come up with a system fault in the DIS and when I called yestereday into the dealer they told me it has to go into them. Aparently they have had a few Q5 with faults because when I told her the error she said " Q5 " before I told her.
Error message says countdown milage until car refuses to start so you have to take it in.
Will keep you informed about progress.
Just been in and had new injector upstream of catalyst under waranty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My car is with Audi today to have the Adblue error message rectified and a general inspection while it's there. DIS displays 'Adblue Fault' and then jovially started counting down from 650miles. What caught my attention was that it was 600miles the next day ! Topped the car up with Adblue, as recommended by my Audi garage, but this had no effect. (took about 8 litres FYI).

MY2011....surprise surprise

·
Registered
188 Posts
Many different dealers are having faults with Adblue systems.

My local Land Rover dealer is seeing many with Adblue error messages.

The Adblue injector tip clogs up and requires replacing (normally under warranty and they now keep them in stock) apparently the adblue fluid "crystallises in the injector tip" when a very hot engine is stopped numerous times.

No more diesels for me.

·
Banned
323 Posts
The previous post to this has now been deleted by admin because it was SPAM.

·
Banned
323 Posts
Quite relevant I would say...
@geoff3
It would appear you missed the SPAM post (that was totally irrelevant and that the Admin has now deleted) that I was referring to. If you had seen it, you would have realised why I commented as such.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts