Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 days in and I have had to refuel for the first time. First thing I notice is another filler cap next to the usual diesel one, which has AdBlue written on it.

Page 209 of the manual fully describes that it gets injected into the exhaust to reduce Nitrogen Oxide emissions, the tank holds 23 litres, the dash tells you when you need to "top up", BUT, if you run out, you cannot start the engine again !!

Anyone know what this is all about, it is the first I have heard of it, the dealer never mentioned it and I am pretty sure the road tax band is the same as my last Q5 (£210 pa?).

Obviously I'll call them tomorrow, but be interested if anyone else has this and knows what the costs are, as the manual reckons it uses up to 1.2% of your diesel fuel consumption?

·
Registered
147 Posts
2 days in and I have had to refuel for the first time. First thing I notice is another filler cap next to the usual diesel one, which has AdBlue written on it.

Page 209 of the manual fully describes that it gets injected into the exhaust to reduce Nitrogen Oxide emissions, the tank holds 23 litres, the dash tells you when you need to "top up", BUT, if you run out, you cannot start the engine again !!

Anyone know what this is all about, it is the first I have heard of it, the dealer never mentioned it and I am pretty sure the road tax band is the same as my last Q5 (£210 pa?).

Obviously I'll call them tomorrow, but be interested if anyone else has this and knows what the costs are, as the manual reckons it uses up to 1.2% of your diesel fuel consumption?
Not got that on mine. Hmmmmm

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pirate, you got a 2.0 Tdi 170 as well - if so, strange if you haven't got it and I have, hope it's not some kind of cock-up as I like this new car!

At the 1.2% of fuel consumption usage, I reckon the 23 litre tank should last 14k miles at 34mpg (my old Q5 consumption - this one is at 29mpg but is very tight!) - so not a huge issue.

Looked on the net and it seems to be something related more to commercial vehicles - confused now???

·
Registered
578 Posts
Not got one on my 143 tdi Q5, nor did I have one on my 2007 Q7, weird.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just done a net search and found this thread from this very site, started by Rowanlaw.

http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/1426-adblue/

Interesting - definitely going to check with dealer on this as it could be expensive to do it the Audi dealership method?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 2011 2.0 170 Stronic and have had to fill the AdBlu twice in 26,000 miles.

Don't buy from Audi as it is a rip off. I paid £9.99 for 10 litres at a local garage plus it is also available on some forecourts at the pump.

First time the light came onto warn me it needed topping up, the dealer said it needed an AdBlue service at £150ish. I told the service manager it just needed topping up ... I was right. They don't know alot about it and only some of the Audi range have it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for that - Looks like I will be searching for my own stash then - £150 service for something that isn't needed in the UK and doesn't reduce your road tax, even though it appears to be "for the environment"?

I find it odd that Audi UK seem to be inconsistent with some cars having it and some not?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pirate, you got a 2.0 Tdi 170 as well - if so, strange if you haven't got it and I have, hope it's not some kind of cock-up as I like this new car!

At the 1.2% of fuel consumption usage, I reckon the 23 litre tank should last 14k miles at 34mpg (my old Q5 consumption - this one is at 29mpg but is very tight!) - so not a huge issue.

Looked on the net and it seems to be something related more to commercial vehicles - confused now???
Yes mine is a 170 tdi manual. Seems like this one reduces emissions. But as you say is not a uk mandate. Would be interested to know what Audi's take on this is.

·
Registered
61 Posts
for what its worth i have also have it on mine (which i picked up saturday)...2.0 tdi auto
I filled up for the first time yesterday and noticed it, hope its not another dealership cash cow!!
will be keeping a watchful eye on this thread for advice

·
Registered
279 Posts
Checked with the dealer and they confirmed that all their diesel Q5's have been coming through with it and also confirmed that it is filled at the PDI and "shouldn't" need doing until the service - however, as Gingamong has confirmed and I have calculated above, it more than likely needs doing at 14k miles, which is about 5k miles short of the 19k service?

I think it is some form of "future proofing" do with the Euro 5 emissions regulations, but as yet not mandatory (at least in the UK), so Pauldoc is probably right that it is another Audi cash cow/money spinner ?

I have located my nearest BP station that sells the 10L canisters, which is only 8 miles away, so that is the route I shall be taking and will point this out when it goes for service in a couple of years - they need not bother adding the £150 to the service bill !!

Something to remember if you are planning a long trip, say a couple of thousand miles to the SoFrance and back for instance and you already have 12k miles on the clock - probably worth filling it up before you depart?

My only real disappointment is that it has not resulted in a lower Road Fund License bracket for the car, over one which doesn't have the system fitted - seems like an admin error - perhaps the facelift version will prove to be in a lower bracket (in which case I may petition the DVLA for a reduction - LOL)?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Checked with the dealer and they confirmed that all their diesel Q5's have been coming through with it and also confirmed that it is filled at the PDI and "shouldn't" need doing until the service - however, as Gingamong has confirmed and I have calculated above, it more than likely needs doing at 14k miles, which is about 5k miles short of the 19k service?

I think it is some form of "future proofing" do with the Euro 5 emissions regulations, but as yet not mandatory (at least in the UK), so Pauldoc is probably right that it is another Audi cash cow/money spinner ?

I have located my nearest BP station that sells the 10L canisters, which is only 8 miles away, so that is the route I shall be taking and will point this out when it goes for service in a couple of years - they need not bother adding the £150 to the service bill !!

Something to remember if you are planning a long trip, say a couple of thousand miles to the SoFrance and back for instance and you already have 12k miles on the clock - probably worth filling it up before you depart?

My only real disappointment is that it has not resulted in a lower Road Fund License bracket for the car, over one which doesn't have the system fitted - seems like an admin error - perhaps the facelift version will prove to be in a lower bracket (in which case I may petition the DVLA for a reduction - LOL)?
Road Tax rates are based on CO2, I don't think AdBlue reduces CO2 emissions and therefore I can't see why road tax would come down on the new models. It does improve MPG though but you are adding more liquid to make this happen at the back end of the combustion process where harmfull gassess are neutralised by AdBlue. As Adblue costs costs money, I guess its not commercially beneficial and would eat up any MPG benefits, it's just environmentally be beneficial.

Also did you know that AdBlue is bascially urea/urine, just take a wizz in the tank and you're good to go
Sorry, didn't mean to take the p1ss !

Reactions: Chopper

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately, however much I like to brag, the filler cap is just a little too high for me

·
Registered
147 Posts
the upcoming changes to the euro emissions standard in 2015 mandates CO2 and NOx emissions to be lesser than what they are now. So must be aimed at that (rather than find a permanent solution......)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Picked up my one on the 21st March and I do not have the adblue tank. At present fuel consumption is 6.5 mile to the litre the A4 is running at 9.2 mile to the litre, early days yet, but still better than petrol!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just had the Adblue refill warning appear on dash this week. Audi quoted £150 to replenish!
Had the tank filled today at a Renault garage for £7.06!

·
Registered
279 Posts
That is an unbelievable "rip off" - bad form Audi :-(

·
Banned
842 Posts
Just had the Adblue refill warning appear on dash this week. Audi quoted £150 to replenish!
Had the tank filled today at a Renault garage for £7.06!
Why on earth would you go to a dealer? Most fuel stations sell it and the filling tools are in the tool kit in the boot...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Not sold locally where I live but at least I was able to fill myself once I located a pump!

·
Registered
48 Posts
When i got my car, my dealer went into a bit of detail about it and even gave me a sticker for it !!

The good thing with it, is it stops the plume of black smoke coming out your exhaust when you accelerate away after sitting stationary for a while.

Did you know its basically pigs piss ! Any farms with pigs near anyone ? lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,

I picked up my new my2013 Q5 this week and like some of you have noticed the Adblue filler cap.
I brought it to the salesman's attention and he knew little about it saying just bring it in when you get the warning sign. Wanting to take everyone's advice to top it up yourself can't find this special refill bottle in the car anywhere. Can anyone shed any light as to where the bottle would be kept? or has Audi took this kit out so I have to return the car for a refill, sorry if I sound cynical.

cannonballrod.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts