Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any experience of how long a tank of AdBlue lasts? Maybe it hasn't been around for long enough to get useful figures but surely my 3,000 miles must mean that my tank can only have been part-filled.

I believe it is a 35 litre tank, so if it injects at the ratio of 2% to diesel (read that somewhere), if a car is averaging 36mpg then the tank should last for around 14,000 miles.

If you are still running with the first tank full, how far have you gone so far?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does anybody have any experience of how long a tank of AdBlue lasts? Maybe it hasn't been around for long enough to get useful figures but surely my 3,000 miles must mean that my tank can only have been part-filled.

I believe it is a 35 litre tank, so if it injects at the ratio of 2% to diesel (read that somewhere), if a car is averaging 36mpg then the tank should last for around 14,000 miles.

If you are still running with the first tank full, how far have you gone so far?
Ransman,
The Adblue tank holds 23 litres in my 2011MY 2.0TDi Q5. A tankful lasts 18,000 to 20,000 miles. It does seem that your tank was not full on delivery

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ransman,
The Adblue tank holds 23 litres in my 2011MY 2.0TDi Q5. A tankful lasts 18,000 to 20,000 miles. It does seem that your tank was not full on delivery
Thanks Newhall. I wonder where I got 35 litres from?

Must be less than 2% then. Have you experience of lasting that long or is that what you have been told by the dealer? That's certainly the sort of figures he told me. I am interested to hear what people are actually getting in real driving conditions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks Newhall. I wonder where I got 35 litres from?

Must be less than 2% then. Have you experience of lasting that long or is that what you have been told by the dealer? That's certainly the sort of figures he told me. I am interested to hear what people are actually getting in real driving conditions.
Ransman,
I put 20 litres into the tank when the 1100mile warning light came on. I had done about 18,000 miles from new at that point

·
Banned
842 Posts
I have just refilled mine at 15000, refilled at the 1200 mile warning so 16000 for me.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Only done 7,500 miles and was just about to start looking for supplies so that I have them to hand, but possibly a little early?

Where do you guys get the refills from as I dont fancy paying the Audi rip off £150 version?

I take it you simply pour it in, no fancy 1-way valves required etc?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.

The RAC man showed me a simple funnel that they had made up to pour from the 10 litre containers. It looked like a 2.5 litre plastic container with the bottom sawn off and a small outlet attached to the screw top.

If you buy some before you need it make sure you don't let it freeze as, apparently, it ruins it. That's why he couldn't top me up on Saturday as they don't keep any in the van over the winter.

Makes you wonder about the contents of the tank in the car though. Even if the tank is well insulated it must eventually freeze if cold-soaked for long enough.

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
Here is the recommended storage temperature range for AdBlue
Various things can affect the quality of AdBlue , firstly the storage temperature of AdBlue must not be allowed to fall below -11°C, likewise it should not be stored above 30°C (at which point hydrolysis starts to occur,) at 55°C the level of ammonia vapour rising from the solution can become highly toxic and the solution is compromised beyond sustainable use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you don't know where to buy AdBlue from then look at www.findAdBlue.com, its a locator service for the solution itself. it only displays AdBlue product that conforms to the ISO standard and where the product is licensed to the VDA.

With regards to the comment about frozen AdBlue being ruined, I'm not sure where you heard this, but actually you can freeze AdBlue and then use it - its perfectly fine to do so. In fact the concentration of AdBlue is made up 32.5% technical grade urea and 67.5% deionised water; and it's this proportion so that when the AdBlue freezes the concentration of the unfrozen liquid is still the same (Eutectic).

Hope this helps. If you have further questions, feel free to get in touch at any stage, my company is the leading information provider for this product. www.integer-research.com.

James Dixon

·
Banned
801 Posts
If you don't know where to buy AdBlue from then look at www.findAdBlue.com, its a locator service for the solution itself. it only displays AdBlue product that conforms to the ISO standard and where the product is licensed to the VDA.

With regards to the comment about frozen AdBlue being ruined, I'm not sure where you heard this, but actually you can freeze AdBlue and then use it - its perfectly fine to do so. In fact the concentration of AdBlue is made up 32.5% technical grade urea and 67.5% deionised water; and it's this proportion so that when the AdBlue freezes the concentration of the unfrozen liquid is still the same (Eutectic).

Hope this helps. If you have further questions, feel free to get in touch at any stage, my company is the leading information provider for this product. www.integer-research.com.

James Dixon
Here is the answer for storing and temperature

http://www.vda.de/en...blue/index.html
AdBlue® may be used within Europe under all regular weather conditions. It is however essential that the purity of AdBlue is ensured throughout the supply chain and when stored at a home depot. To some extent AdBlue is sensitive to extreme temperatures, both hot and cold. The solution will freeze if its temperature falls below -11°C, and the urea content can decrease if stored at temperatures in excess of 30°C. However, AdBlue is not harmed by the freezing process and once thawed will retain its concentration and quality. In areas where the temperature is frequently in excess of 30°C it is necessary to ensure that the solution is not stored in direct sunlight.
http://www.bluesolut...rodukty?lang=en
Maximum period of storing AdBlue® is within one year from its production in conditions preferred for AdBlue®. It is non-inflammable, however it becomes prone to hydrolytic dissolution into ammonia if stored in temperatures above 30C. It also crystallizes if stored in temperatures below -11.5C, which means that the containers, distributors and valves should be insulated and, if necessary, heated, and the place of storage should have a working air conditioning.
http://www.handling-...age_systems.htm
It is important that the temperature of AdBlue does not fall below -11°C simply as the solution will freeze and become redundant until fully thawed. Likewise the storage temperature should not exceed +30°C as the quality of the solution is compromised and shelf life reduced.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Therefore this product can only be used in limited countries unless stored in fully insulated containers with a heater for the lower temperatures.

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
This Ad-Blue system sounds like a lot of piss to me.

When the tank runs dry, it might be easier to piss in the tank?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This Ad-Blue system sounds like a lot of piss to me.

When the tank runs dry, it might be easier to piss in the tank?
Yeah, done all of those jokes :) My work colleagues are amused it runs on pig piss.

On a 60 mile trip today the "AdBlue 600 miles remaining" came on again. As I didn't know whether I had a leak I called the RAC out again. He reckons the garage did not reset the computer when it was filled. Now down to 550 miles remaining and I want it sorted before the Xmas break.

·
Banned
842 Posts
If I remember correctly you need to refill more than 8.3 litres after the warning light comes on (yep just checked in manual) otherwise the system wont recognise the tank has been refilled.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well they said they filled it. The car is booked in for 0800hrs tomorrow for the software squirt that takes about 2 1/2 hours.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well they found a "slightly weepy" valve which they are going to try to replace before Xmas.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Less than 200 miles done and the eml came on again. Phoned to arrange a courtesy car only to be told the part is in so they have it now and should be fixed early afternoon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts