Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to refuel the Q5 today and whilst on route to the garage one of the engine management lights came on. Got to the local Morrisons and noted a huge liquid trail behind me. This was coming from in front of the rear nearside wheel inside the floorpan and was literally pissing out!. The liquid was like water but a little tacky to the touch.

As I was only a mile from home I took the car back and rang Audi roadside assist. They attended and the guy said straight away it was an Adblue leak (It leaves a white deposit on everything and stinks of ammonia as it's apparently made from pigs urine)

Sure enough he did a diagnostic check which confirmed his suspicions. The pipe had split/ become detached and adblue had spewed out everywhere. Apparently it's corrosive and toxic and makes a mess of everything. The car had to be recovered to Leeds Audi as it was not drivable and has to be cleaned with a special cleaner.

What really pissed me off was when the technician stated that Audi know of this problem with the adblue pipes but will not recall cars as it's not classed as a major safety issue. When I told him the car had just been in for a blocked drainage pipe on the air con unit (which required all the carpets to be replaced) he said this Adblue pipe should have been checked at the time.

So my six month old Q5 has been back to Audi four times already

Steering catching on the heat shield
Screeching fan (still not fixed)
Blocked air con drain
and now this Adblue issue

Despite loving the car I have never had so many problems with any new car before. I remember commenting on this forum in response to a survey about Audis poor reliability in comparison to some Japanese brands. Now I know why !

On the plus side Audi roadside assistance was excellent. The technician came within 30 minutes,diagnosed the fault, arranged recovery and a replacement vehicle. Car was recovered within the hour and within two hours I had a new A6 Avant on the drive, having been offered an A8, A5 Sportback or the A6.

·
Banned
842 Posts
I cant recall who it was but within a week of ownership another forum member woke up in the morning to find his adblue tank had emptied itself all over his driveway. I think Audi stumpped up to have his driveway repaired as like you say the stuff is pretty corrosive...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Funnily enough I got a call this morning from Aberdeen Audi for a recall to address the Adblue delivery system problem, and a power steering update. Looks like they are aware of the Adblue situation now.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Funnily enough I got a call this morning from Aberdeen Audi for a recall to address the Adblue delivery system problem, and a power steering update. Looks like they are aware of the Adblue situation now.
So you are aware, the power steering fix has had mixed/poor feedback. Might be worth checking with the dealership if this is going to have an adverse effect on your car (assuming you have certain options fitted).
http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/4402-software-updates/

·
Registered
47 Posts
Glad you mentioned that.Had a look at all the comments, and will have a serious chat with the guys when the car goes in. Cheers.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stew

Can you please expand on the content of the notification regarding the Adblue recall

thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
It was Audi reception who called,so not much explanation.Will let you know tomorrow as I plan to go into the dealership and get more info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts