Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi fellow Q5 owners!

My adaptive cruise control (ACC) is behaving strangely.

Observations:
1. There is no one in my lane, there is another vehicle in the left lane (left hand drive) and no one in the right lane.
2. My Audi suddenly starts tracking the vehicle in the left lane and matches its speed.
3. The DIS tells me there is no vehicle in front of me (which is correct)
4. A quick tap on the accelerator seems to fix the problem, the ACC accelerates away to the pre-set speed

My questions:
1. If the DIS knows there is no vehicle in front of me, why is the ACC tracking the vehicle in the left lane???
2. Is this normal, has anyone else experienced this?
3. I find this very annoying and potentially dangerous as the car behind me is not expecting me to brake when there is nothing in front of me.

Thanks in advance for your contributions and as always, safe and satisfying motoring.
Q5zilla

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I have RHD and it does the same thing - it will not allow you to undertake... In the UK this is VERY illegal and you will get a ticket for it instantly, not to mention dangerous as ALL drivers do not expect people to do it so will often not check their left side when moving over (of course you should check if you are a good driver).
I know in the US passing on either side is considered OK, not sure where you are based? EDIT - just saw you mentioned UAE in previous posts, guess they don't care about over/undertaking there?

I would say given my experience and yours it is normal behaviour.

I actually asked this question when I first got my SQ5, or more precisely questioned the placement of the radar dome. On mine it is in the right fog grill, which makes sense as it monitors the lane ahead and to the right... Is yours in the left fog grill?

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I was not impressed with ACC when I tested it. I guess it might be useful for those who do a lot of motorway driving.

·
Banned
289 Posts
I can't even get along with standard cruise control in the UK. I've used it extensively in USA, but in the UK it is a rare event when the motorway traffic flows at a constant speed. I guess that would make ACC more useful, but honestly, I prefer to be in control for myself.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I can't even get along with standard cruise control in the UK. I've used it extensively in USA, but in the UK it is a rare event when the motorway traffic flows at a constant speed. I guess that would make ACC more useful, but honestly, I prefer to be in control for myself.
I had the same problem on my last car with normal CC, with ACC motorways are great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have RHD and it does the same thing - it will not allow you to undertake... In the UK this is VERY illegal and you will get a ticket for it instantly, not to mention dangerous as ALL drivers do not expect people to do it so will often not check their left side when moving over (of course you should check if you are a good driver)

I actually asked this question when I first got my SQ5, or more precisely questioned the placement of the radar dome. On mine it is in the right fog grill, which makes sense as it monitors the lane ahead and to the right... Is yours in the left fog grill?
Hey Jose

I didn't consider the undertaking bit. That makes sense.

I live in Dubai (LH drive) where you can be in a middle lane and its the norm for drivers in the left most lane to suddenly slam on their brakes just before a fixed speed camera (usually located in the median) or slow down and start lane drifting (on close scrutiny I see they are texting or talking on their mobile phone). This is super annoying as the Audi picks up on this, starts to reduce speed when I would have otherwise passed it with a good margin. Instead the offending car slowly but eventually drifts into my lane and the Audi braking guard warning goes ape-sh!t

My Q5's ACC radar is also located in the right fog grill. Strange, I would have thought it will be in the left fog grill.

I went for the ACC option because of the unpredictable winter foggy mornings we have here in Dubai. Visibility is usually 50-200m and drivers here still travel at unrealistic speeds, with their hazard lights on (as if it will magically burn the fog off in front of them). I still have my Volvo XC60 with ACC and it really convinced us of the safety aspect of ACC when the XC60 applied braking before we could see the car in front had braked. We weren't going that fast and had plenty of distance between the car in front (so much so that I couldn't see it). There was a 200 car pile up in 2008 between Dubai and Abu Dhabi caused by heavy fog and poor distance between cars, plus driving with hazards added to it. The wife mandates ACC in any car we purchase from then on.

Safe and satisfying motoring everyone!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I too have fog fairly often and ACC has started slowing before I can see why. Braking guard has saved me from rear ending someone in town as well. All in all I'm quite pleased with it. It has only falsely 'binged' 2 or 3 times in 13k miles - shits you up though as you think your about to hit something you haven't seen!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jose,

I have only had braking guard alert me aurally and briefly with one brake jolt but my foot was already on the brake pedal by then. It was caused by the car in front braking hard for a fraction of a second but resumed its normal speed. Its good to know the system works. ACC wasn't on at the time.

I haven't had braking guard go off at less than 30 km/h yet. According to the Audi site, braking guard will stop the vehicle if required to avoid a collision. It goes on to say it may not be available in all countries. I think its a nasty way to find out whether one is in the list of excluded countries!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Jose,

I have only had braking guard alert me aurally and briefly with one brake jolt but my foot was already on the brake pedal by then. It was caused by the car in front braking hard for a fraction of a second but resumed its normal speed. Its good to know the system works. ACC wasn't on at the time.

I haven't had braking guard go off at less than 30 km/h yet. According to the Audi site, braking guard will stop the vehicle if required to avoid a collision. It goes on to say it may not be available in all countries. I think its a nasty way to find out whether one is in the list of excluded countries!
My specific scenario was...
Following a car at 25mph at a normal distance, they indicated left (so as we drive on the left they will just peel off into the side road).

I lifted off and coasted as they slowed, as such I got closer than the normal/safe following distance.

The driver in the car I was following then spotted the person they were picking up (presumably from the fitness centre that is down the side road they were indicating to go into).
So just at the point they would normally have turned off and I could of carried on, they did a full emergency stop in front of me so their passenger could get in - it was MASSIVELY irresponsible of them, to unnecessarily change their manoeuvre without any advance warning. They should have just turned into the side road and stopped - their passenger was waiting on the corner anyway.

So, as I wasn't expecting this, and I was a bit closer than you'd like to be as I had coasted up as they slowed, the Braking Guard 'binged' and also started to brake. By the time I reached the brake pedal with my foot it was already at the point of ABS having kicked in, so I don't think I was needed, but none-the-less I kept my foot planted to the brake pedal!

I came to a stop about 6 feet short of their bumper, and I'm pretty sure I would have at least nudged them if not for the braking guard. I had no option to swerve to the right due to oncoming traffic.
The passenger witnessed all of this, so I hope they said to the driver, "Maybe you should have just pulled in as you originally indicated you were going to do!"

I wasn't in the mood to have a shouting match, so I just put my foot down and swung out around them with a big ROAR from the SQ beast exhaust (I'm always torn about doing this as it's kind of rewarding bad driving with the sweet sound of the exhaust! Cyclists also get the same treatment and again I always feel bad about rewarding them - sorry to any cyclists, but a lot of you don't follow the rules of the road whilst expecting drivers to do so and you get in the way FAR too much, riding side-by-side is NOT cool!)

It wasn't a nice experience, but it was at least good to know the system works!

The false alarms I have had are always when doing a bit of slalom around parked cars or road furniture - the car doesn't know you are going to swerve around the obstacle ahead so bings at you.

Reactions: Q5zilla

·
Registered
123 Posts
Out of interest, my ACC will allow me to undertake (RHD UK/road/car) unless i have lane assist enabled in which case it tracks the vehicle on the right hand lane and will not undertake.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Interesting... That would be a nice way to turn the feature on/off.

For sure mine won't undertake regardless of lane assist though.
It's very annoying when leaving a motorway where it's one of this big splits rather than a slip road, if I need to be in the left half, damned if I'm crawling at 55 with the lorries staying on the right half!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree. I tried mine again to check and it will try to intervene but not if I turn off lane assist. I also agree with your earlier comments ref. ACC - it is a great piece of kit especially on a long journey.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts