Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you tell be does this actually steer the car around bends on motorway etc or does it warn you if you are going over the lane lines ? When overtaking what does it do ( nothing ) as it registers your input to the steering ? Thanks Dave

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
My extensive description and review... http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/3075-drivers-aids-review-acc-sidelane-assist/

But in short - it will steer for you for a period, but if your hands are completely off the wheel for more than say 10 seconds it asks you to put them back on! Basically it takes the majority of the weight of the steering and you just guide it where you want to be in the lane. I use it on long dual carriageway/motorway journeys - but make sure it is off on single carriageway roads as it gets really annoying otherwise and can really put you off. It takes a bit of getting used to it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Snowman and Jose' very informative looks like 2 more for the option list haha ( it's growing )

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I just did 260 miles in about 4 hours, of which probably had it on for 200 - made the journey a lot less tiring! You may as well add the side+lane assist package.

My only warning with particularly the lane assist and adaptive cruise is they both make driving a very different experience, you have to trust the car to really get them to work and take the load off as they are designed to do. I don't mind doing this, but I suspect a lot of people (particularly those with many years driving under there belt - I only have 2 years) would find it hard to adapt/accept the automation.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I don't mind doing this, but I suspect a lot of people (particularly those with many years driving under there belt - I only have 2 years) would find it hard to adapt/accept the automation.
Very interesting generalisation Jose! I've found the converse to be true to be honest.

I started driving 37 years ago when the most advanced piece of equipment in a car was an AM radio or a BorgWarner 3 speed auto box - the days when you drove the car rather than the car driving you. I've found it very easy to adapt to and embrace the rapid advances in technology and automation within the automotive industry and I dare bet I'm not the only one with a few miles under his belt that feels the same.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Very interesting generalisation Jose! I've found the converse to be true to be honest.

I started driving 37 years ago when the most advanced piece of equipment in a car was an AM radio or a BorgWarner 3 speed auto box - the days when you drove the car rather than the car driving you. I've found it very easy to adapt to and embrace the rapid advances in technology and automation within the automotive industry and I dare bet I'm not the only one with a few miles under his belt that feels the same.
Completely agree, there will be plenty that 'get it' but thought it was worth mentioning that you may want to try these before throwing money at them. It probably depends on how much people trust technology! And also if you have kept up with new cars over the last few years - jumping from an older car straight into a modern one with all the gadgets is quite a big departure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Completely agree, there will be plenty that 'get it' but thought it was worth mentioning that you may want to try these before throwing money at them. It probably depends on how much people trust technology! And also if you have kept up with new cars over the last few years - jumping from an older car straight into a modern one with all the gadgets is quite a big departure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
No problem Jose, I know where you are coming from - just didn't want us older folk to be too alarmed with modern technology lol In truth I would think that most people that buy a Q5 have evolved with the technology anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts