Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, anyone with this option? How do you like it? Can it go to full stop and resume cruise speed when the car in front accelerates?

·
Banned
801 Posts
I tried on several test models and system it functions perfectly

Relaxed and comfortable on long journeys: adaptive cruise control can even be used on busy roads and in dense lines of traffic.
The system measures the distance to the vehicle ahead by means of a special radar sensor and controls the speed, ensuring it does not exceed the set value. In addition, adaptive cruise control automatically maintains a constant distance to the vehicle ahead.
If the driver's intervention is required to sufficiently brake the vehicle, a signal is automatically given.
The driver can choose between four distance programmes and adjust the system's dynamics to suit personal preferences: the range of programmes comprises Distance 1 (sporty), Distances 2 and 3 (standard) and Distance 4 (comfortable).
Even when adaptive cruise control is activated, the driver is still responsible for monitoring the car's speed and the distance from the vehicle in front. Adaptive cruise control does not react to stationary objects or approaching vehicles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Looks like a great feature to have in slow moving traffic. I assume if the driver does not brake fast enough, the adaptive cruise control will take over and brake the car to prevent a collision. Bmw only offers this option on the x5. Not the x3. This is one of the reasons why I'm considering a Q5 instead of an X3.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My First Demo when looking to purchase a Q5 had Bose. as it was a pre Launch Demo.- thats a Fact.
B-O just the same.
Found Bass to be a bit "Muddy".- Fact.
Never bothered with our first Q5 and still not impressed enough to up grade it for the one we have on order.- another Fact.
But will get Bang & Olufsen when I change our RS6 for a new S8 Later this Year.- Yet Another Fact.
If people are going to interact on a Forum they should read a posting correctly.- Fact.
The word Nonsense is the Best Word for You.- Fact.
Apologies accepted........

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks. Looks like a great feature to have in slow moving traffic. I assume if the driver does not brake fast enough, the adaptive cruise control will take over and brake the car to prevent a collision. Bmw only offers this option on the x5. Not the x3. This is one of the reasons why I'm considering a Q5 instead of an X3.
Jumped out of a X3 Auto Demo straight in Q5 Demo found the Q5 to be more refined and not Tractor like as in the X3 Auto box better in Q5 also.
Yes it will intervene.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have adaptive cruise control on mine and is the best option i had. I do a fair amount of motorway driving and it makes the journey far easier. The system only works down to around 10mph then cuts out and cannot be started under 20mph. I find it is also useful on single track A roads where you can set it to follow the car infront and just steer. It is better on an automaic though as if you have to change gear I think it drops out wheras in an automaitc it will change gear and stay on. You do get the odd problem with false readings occasionaly where it will pick a car up in the adjacent lane and start braking but this is very rare. The main issue on motorways is the fact that even on the smallest gap setting the gap is large enough that people pull into the gap, but does make you realise how big a stopping distance you need. On really busy motorways I dont use it as it can be very frustrating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have adaptive cruise control on mine and is the best option i had. I do a fair amount of motorway driving and it makes the journey far easier. The system only works down to around 10mph then cuts out and cannot be started under 20mph. I find it is also useful on single track A roads where you can set it to follow the car infront and just steer. It is better on an automaic though as if you have to change gear I think it drops out wheras in an automaitc it will change gear and stay on. You do get the odd problem with false readings occasionaly where it will pick a car up in the adjacent lane and start braking but this is very rare. The main issue on motorways is the fact that even on the smallest gap setting the gap is large enough that people pull into the gap, but does make you realise how big a stopping distance you need. On really busy motorways I dont use it as it can be very frustrating.
Acb, thanks for sharing. I didn't know it cuts out at around 10mph. Still better than the regular cruise control. I read that the bmw X5 Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop & Go brings the car to a full stop if the car in front stops. Then it resumes within 3 seconds if the car in front moves. I guess this feature is available with higher end Audi's.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Acb, thanks for sharing. I didn't know it cuts out at around 10mph. Still better than the regular cruise control. I read that the bmw X5 Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop & Go brings the car to a full stop if the car in front stops. Then it resumes within 3 seconds if the car in front moves. I guess this feature is available with higher end Audi's.
If you have a look at this Video you will see it shows you after you have stopped with ACC on it will move off again when the Car in front moves away with no interaction from you.

·
Still Game
4,609 Posts
The main issue on motorways is the fact that even on the smallest gap setting the gap is large enough that people pull into the gap, but does make you realise how big a stopping distance you need. On really busy motorways I dont use it as it can be very frustrating.
That is an interesting point.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Not had it on the Q, but had it on a S7 and its a great gadget IMO.
Not only do you have the active part of the cruise, but you also get pre-sense - which is fantastic in rush hour traffic and will actual follow and break the car as you crawl along. (not sure if this is available on the Q)

·
Registered
70 Posts
The adaptive cruise control on the video is from the newer A6 where it is stop and go. The Q5 and A4 are still on the older system where it cuts out at around 10mph and you have to start off yourself and reset above 20mph.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dont really understand the "red lights" round the speedo - it seems to light one above and below the speed you set the cruise control to, although when you turn the cruise off the lights stay on??

I love adaptive cruise on the French peages, only caveart to that is when you pull off the peage onto a sliproad after sitting behind a slow car and the car accelerates rapidly towards a sharp bend.

kc

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
The red lights stay on as you have only 'paused' not turned the ACC off completely. It is remembering your previous speed so you can resume back to it again without having to start with your current speed and press + a lot

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

We are Vee W Services an independent garage in Bristol. We are one of the few Independents who can offer ACC Adaptive cruise control calibration on your car at a fraction of the local main dealer.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I love adaptive cruise on the French peages, only caveart to that is when you pull off the peage onto a sliproad after sitting behind a slow car and the car accelerates rapidly towards a sharp bend. kc
i think that's because you have a RHD Q5 on LHD roads and it thinks you are overtaking when you indicate right.

works perfectly in UK, but i reckon any Q5's from Europe accelerate into our sliproads too lol.

·
Registered
794 Posts
So it's true - ACC is NOT available on the new Q5's.

I'll hang onto my 2016 Q5 a little longer then I guess.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts