Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

After a few months of lurking, I'm about to place an order and would really appreciate some help from forum member's.

Phantom Black Special Edition 2.0ltr 170 Manual

The options I'm struggling with are:

Tech Pack high v. Tech Pack low v. Neither
The dealer obviously assures me this is vital, and everything on autotrader seems to have the Tech Pack high. I do like the high option, with the HDD, but the Sat Nav is only 4/5 digit recognition (Garmin & TomTom hold the rights to full postocde recognition). Assuming it comes with AMI, and I'm not sure if you can order AMI by itself?

Rear Side Airbags
I've seen these are placed on the door pillar between the front and rear doors. Are these safe for rear-facing child seats and can they be turned off individually?

The other options I'm getting I'm mostly happy with: folding door mirrors, privacy glass, pano roof, storage package, LED light pack, heated front seats, rear bench seat, parking system plus, spare wheel, type pressure indicator, reversible load floor mat.

Discounts
What's the latest anyone's managed? Internet brokers seems to be consistently about 6% below list at the moment. My London dealer initimated they would match this, but I'd at least like to try and better it. I was at least going to go armed with a few broker and a few dealer quotes.

Any help much appreciated, and I'll let you know how I get on this week!

Cheers, James

·
Registered
132 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Tech pack
I believe the High benefits from the latest generation MMI; comes with a larger screen, it would also allow you to play movies in the DVD and comes with voice recognition and the addition of 2 SD cards slots in the dash. Both High & low have AMI and parking system plus.

Discounts
I managed 9.5% discount back in July with delivery in March 2011, but i only took it for 2 reasons
1- I knew VAT increase would mean +2.5% so this compensates for that
2-I did not want the car before March 2011 anyway.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the response - I wasn't sure if the Parking Plus came with the Tech Packs for free or not. The Audi configurator seemed to add it on, but included it in the list price. Was planning to confirm at the dealer. Also, the configurator is adding the 3 zone climate control for free - will check that out too.

When I had a test drive, I was asking the guy what MMI was and couldn't really understand. I know you have a smaller TFT screen as standard, and the joystick is where the DVD goes (instead of behind the gear stick), but do you get MMI with the non-Tech packs? Is it more than just simple navigation around the screen and the iPod tracks (if you have AMI and an iPod plugged in)? Appreciate this is probably an Audi thing - I've never owned one before.

I'm not in a hurry for the car either, but 9.5% would be nice even taking the VAT hike into consideration. Which dealer was that? PM me if you don't want to divulge that info.

If anyone has any answers for the Rear Airbags that would be great - the wife is nagging me!

Cheers, James

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Hi James,

Have to say that the joystick behind the gear lever is very easy to reach and use. Love the rear view camera on the advanced parking system too - works very well at night.

Kev

·
Registered
130 Posts
I second the comment about the reversing camera (Parking System Advanced) - my no1 favourite gadget in the Q5 (and I have a lot of them!)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, reverse parking camera - hadn't thought of that. I thought the Audi System Plus (with the little car graphic and front/rear distance warnings) would have been enough! Can sense that being added to my order...

Any other killer options I've missed?

I had another question on the Rear Bench Seat option. If you don't have that, I assume the seats still fold forward in a 60/40 split or are they totally static? If you do have it, is there still enough room to move the bench forward when you have child seats in situ? Another question from the wife!

Thanks for all the help so far, James

·
Registered
44 Posts
Again would agree with the comments re reversing camera, a real good idea especially with folding mirrors. Saves you from unfolding them to reverse if you're in a tight spot. With the excellent mirrors, camera and the tight steering lock the Q5 is an very manouverable car in a tight space.

MartynC

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi James,

Will you need a tow bar? Factory fitted around ?650.00. Cost post-delivery ?2500!!

Still waitng for my Q5 - ordered in April (expected Dec) - and it has been near impossible to revise the order without jeopardising delivery date and/or price so a good idea to get it right first time.

Ed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hmm, reverse parking camera - hadn't thought of that. I thought the Audi System Plus (with the little car graphic and front/rear distance warnings) would have been enough! Can sense that being added to my order...

Any other killer options I've missed?

I had another question on the Rear Bench Seat
option. If you don't have that, I assume the seats still fold forward in a 60/40 split or are they totally static? If you do have it, is there still enough room to move the bench forward when you have child seats in situ? Another question from the wife!

Thanks for all the help so far, James
hi James

we have the bench seat plus on our q5 and can confirm there's enough room to have it fully forward with the seats in situ. We have a maxi cosi tobi and a maxi cosi rodi and both fit fine with the bench forward. Another nice feature of the bench plus is that you can drop just the middle section of the backrest meaning anything long will fit in car without having to remove the kids seats.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info chaps.

We hadn't considered the tow bar as I don't have anything to tow, but thinking about it, are there any decent bike racks for the Q5? I know some rely on a tow bar, whereas the Audi accessories one seems to go on the roof. That almost seems to make the car too tall? I'll google this.

Think I'll definitely spec the Rear Bench Seat - thanks Barry.

Just need to find out about those rear air bags now. Worried they might not be compatible with the baby seats - anyone?

Cheers, James

·
Registered
963 Posts
Might as well say most things as it will cost you an arm and a leg afterwards........mind you if you go that route it will also hurt the wallet. Lol

I think you've got most things covered but what about DAB?

·
Registered
963 Posts
There is an Audi aftermarket towbar bike rack......which is one of the reasons why I've ordered the towbar.

A costly item to miss off that order given that it is folded out of sight when not in use!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for all the info chaps.

I can't really justify the tow bar as I've never needed one in the last 10 years. I thought it may be useful for the bike rack, but it looks like you can buy Audi Bike Holders for about ?75 each to go on the horizontal roof bars (which I believe are standard), so that's probably the cheaper option.

Hill Hold Assist is definitely going on as I've downgraded the order to a manual. Manual has more torque, less emissions (tax) and both wifey and I have always had manuals so happy with that change (I think!).

Spare wheel on the order for sure. Nappa Leather is a nice to have. We'll see about that one.

Broadspeed seem to be the best of the brokers at the moment with about 6.6% off. However, the first dealer I called this morning almost put the phone down when I mentioned that kind of discount. We'll see what my local dealer says in about an hour when I go down there.....

·
Registered
963 Posts
Some people have been lucky with Dealers on the discount front........but IMHO given that they can sell a used one for virtually the same price as a new one I wouldn't get your hopes too high!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Broadspeed seem to be the best of the brokers at the moment with about 6.6% off. However, the first dealer I called this morning almost put the phone down when I mentioned that kind of discount. We'll see what my local dealer says in about an hour when I go down there.....
It took calls to six different dealers before I could find one that would even entertain a discount.. (and this is before the May price rise + 20% VAT)

·
Registered
963 Posts
It took calls to six different dealers before I could find one that would even entertain a discount.. (and this is before the May price rise + 20% VAT)
Out of interest what did you achieve?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts