Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 3k miles thought it was time to look back.
Car has been pretty faultless, not a single thing has gone wrong, no recalls, no breaks and nothing has fallen off more importantly.

Plus - I still think the stance of the car looks great (20s or 21s
), and the cabin is one of the best places you could hope to be. At times you think its now lacking key technologies, but nothing huge or life changing. MPG is great for what it is, remember context!!! you can get 40MPG without much effort.

I still like the colour, very subjective i know, but for me I'm happy. Personally white would be my choice (marks and low maintenance), but given the last one was white i needed/wanted a change. I've not cleaned it for 12 weeks or so, but its not really showing marks or sign of wear.

VAGCOM mods make a difference, they are only small thing, but these do change the feel of the tools.
The replacement of lights for LED ones in the boot also makes me smile every time i see it. Shame around the cabin lights, but i guess i could change those too i guess.

Downside, boot is about two inch too small even with the bench seats to get cases and stuff in easily, Bench seats don't go back far enough - it would be really could to use more of the empty boot day to day, regardless of the stats - its not as fast as the stated numbers would suggest, you just can't live in LC mode light to light 12 seconds at a time. BUT, unless you get high in the rev range its not asthmatic or lacking power. its more than willing and is still faster that a lot of things out there by any measure. Noise and i know I'm in the minority on this one, but i don't like the fake noise, its not nasty nasty, just feels wrong. Lots more cars are now on the road - but still i don't see an SQ every day.

All in all, for a multi-purpose platform capable of many things i still believe its a great fit.
Tomorrow morning i have an RSQ3 - it will be interesting to compare the two approaches.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Nice write up, wish my mileage was that low... Actually no I don't, I love driving it!

RE interior lights, did you see the thread on it? I just got a quote for the whole lot for about £59 - will update the thread with the details shortly.

·
Banned
289 Posts
An interesting overview, which pretty much confirms my reasons for selecting an SQ5...

Comfortable, reliable, good looking, reasonably economical (for the size and performance) and plenty quick for the normal give and take situation on UK roads.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Wow very surprising write up, thanks SnowMan.
i agree why is mileage so low, Im reaching 3k now and had for 2 months...

Maybe a write up on RSQ would be good too mate, would love to see how it compares please!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mileage is due to the number of cars we have and selecting the most suitable for the task
R8 has done less than 10k in 3 years... I've been using it for the school run of late.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Interesting looking at the 'on paper' stats for the SQ5 vs the RSQ3. http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel4367-4679.htm

RSQ3 seems to come out on top at almost all speeds measured although not by much. The power of the two cars is very similar even though the SQ5 has a LOT more torque but its weight presumably counts against it particularly as the indicated weight of the SQ5 appears to be 230Kg heavier than Audi claim. That's like driving around with my mother in law hiding in the boot - gotta hurt speed AND economy
Jokes, I'm joking in case anyone gets upset...or in case the mother in law ever sees this

Be interested to hear how you get on Snow Man.

·
Banned
489 Posts
Reactions: Robin T

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hi Snow Man, nice report, I often wondered about the fake noise, and whether it'd get on one's nerves. if you had your time again though would you still choose an SQ5?

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
It's not really fake, but I would find it tiresome to have it on "LOUD" full time. The noise is only there when in S mode. I only use S when I feel the need to be a hooligan. D is more than enough to blow away most cars on the road.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I've had a go in an RSQ3, it's certainly very quick, more manic. The ride quality was simply brutal....probably why they are so rare.

The only vehicle I'd look at now is a Macan......if you are sensible with the spec it's similar money to the SQ.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I've had a go in an RSQ3, it's certainly very quick, more manic. The ride quality was simply brutal....probably why they are so rare.

The only vehicle I'd look at now is a Macan......if you are sensible with the spec it's similar money to the SQ.
I'm not capable of sensible when it comes to options, so the Macan is out for me! Might be more interested if/when a Diesel version to rival the SQ comes out.

Reactions: ?? SQ-BEAST ??

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
RSQ3 - its clearly spent a little time at the RS division for a look over, rather than just sprinkled with S models.

The ugly plastic lipping is gone, and replaced with body colouring. The alloys were stunning - these should be an SQ option.
Mica Racing blue was the colour (not Sepang) and i loved it, i was close to needing tissues for trouser mop up..
RS grill looks leaps and bounds better than the S grill, the outer chrome is not shinny like on the S models, so a swap onto the Q5 could look odd (unfortunately) unless the colour of the mirrors are matched. Single exhaust pipe at the rear looked wrong at first when you compare to the standard RS model twin ovals - but in fairness, the car doesn't need lots of pipes and cars like the TT would also be better with the minimal look. Noise, its not fake, but its not over loud either. High up the rev range the noise is as good as that on the RS TT and that generated a few looks as you drive by with the odd pop and crackle from the DSG - most of which left me thinking i can see what you are thinking "here comes another dick 'ed in a ricer" and then they see you in the SUV and you see that look change to "biggest ever dick 'ed" so while it sounds it good, I'm not sure it fits with the car shape. Fun however, even if it did feel uncomfortable at times.

Ride, I'm not sure Audi had any springs fitted to the car i had and it certainly crashes over everything from the white lines on the road, to the many pot holes with almighty bumps and bangs. The ride is defiantly anything but a relaxing feel thats for sure, but the cars height doesn't really help it out vs say the RS5 which has a similar setup, but carries it off much better.

Cabin, the new minimal look from Audi is great i guess, i don't like the new car ergonomics, I'm an old fashioned pilot, i need my cabin full of buttons and lights. it's too Eurofighter style glass cockpit for me. In general, I just don't like this dumbing down of everything from phones to computers or car cabins. The cabin was a nice place to be without doubt, so don't get me wrong. Nice leather in most of the right places, diamonds stitched into the seats (which i love), same carbon inlays i have in the SQ, the speed limit display didn't always seem to pick up the changes in speed limits, dials in dials within the binnacle, RS steering wheel is much chunkier and nicer to hold/use than the SQ5 one. The Steering/feedback feel is also light years ahead of the SQ5 (benefits of the RS division). The car went around corners much better than the SQ does too, the difference was like trying to drive fast with a car full of passengers and a boot full of bricks - it was just more agile/nimble with much less top roll - but again lets be clear its no rally/sports car either.

Performance, the engine and DSG are perfectly matched, i don't believe it was faster than the SQ, but it was more fun getting the speed out of it (mainly due to the longer rev range) and more traditional sporty feel. At motorway speed, id give the edge to the SQ, i guess the twin turbos mean you have more coverage - or maybe the Diesel engine having a smaller rev range has a part to play too. MPG was as to be expected from a petrol, at times i was averaging 17MPG and had to reset the system and chill before returning the car - which still only went upto 21.

Other differences/Comments.
Rear space is very limited on the Q3, and the boot is tiny.
Satnav is at a much better height to use, but i don't like the screen in front of the windscreen and found myself closing the lid.

So all in all, i enjoyed the drive (thanks AUK), but this play wouldn't make me want to swap to one. Its just not big enough, too hard core and not very economical - strange thing to say for an RS, but the SQ has a much better balance and equal performance. I can't recall much else, but I'm sure I've missed things. (I didn't take it off road, so can't comment on the Haldex system).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Great review Snow Man, kind of expected that from the RSQ3

@ Hectorshouse, the sound of the SQ5 never bothers; I have it on all the time

@ SQ5John, the only good thing about the Macan is that it comes with optional air suspension. Besides that I couldn't care less for that car; had too much shit with my Cayenne to ever want a Porsche again. Also, the diesel engines in the Macan are not as modern and performing as the biturbo from Audi

·
Registered
253 Posts
Great review on both the SQ5 and the RSQ3 Snowman

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Thanks for the write up was very interested to hear from someone whose properly driven both. Was this a courtesy for your R8?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts