Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my q5 for about three months now and with the electronic oil measurement system now fixed, I am very happy. The only thing I notice and I don't know whether it is a general characteristic of the gearbox or not, is that is is really a pig to change into second gear when the engine is cold. Once the car has warmed up it changes smoothly. All the other gears engage fine whether hot or cold. I will question this at the first service just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same experience or any advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had my q5 for about three months now and with the electronic oil measurement system now fixed, I am very happy. The only thing I notice and I don't know whether it is a general characteristic of the gearbox or not, is that is is really a pig to change into second gear when the engine is cold. Once the car has warmed up it changes smoothly. All the other gears engage fine whether hot or cold. I will question this at the first service just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same experience or any advice. Thanks.
Hi, I have had my 2.0L TDI Q5 - manual transmission, for just less than 12 months now. First 3 months had gear slippage and vibration issues on 1st & 2nd gearing up. Wasn't sure it was the clutch peddle or flywheel. Anyway took back to dealership under warranty(Aug 2010), after they had reluctantly kept my Q5 for 4 days (due to me insisting a problem was apparent when driving) they suggested that the clutch plate had been worn out. How - I'm not sure, as I had brought the car with 2.5k on the clock, next to new and took it in with just under 8k on the clock. No charge for the new clutch!!!

Since then a slow but constant problem has occurred again in the same region - clutch & transmission. That is on 1st gear on my manual gear box, I get the same slippage and or vibration when gearing up and down.

So it's back to the dealer, again, they are reluctant to admit on the same issue. This time they need to take the gearbox apart to see what the cause is. Although under warranty, they have high lighted that if the clutch has been worn out then that's ware and tear. I will have to foot the bill of some £750.00 for 5 hours work! Yeah right.

Anyway, estimated time to do this job is around 5 hours at this dealership to take the gear box out and put together again.

By the way, the same sales consultant has been dealing with me at this Audi dealership since I first reported this issue. On the recent conversation I had with this person, she suggested that they (the dealership) were expecting me back........(not to purchase a new Audi I hope?).

With this in mind my Q5 goes in for the third time now. Let's see what happens....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Could do with a bit more description but from what you describe it certainly doesn't sound like a worn clutch! In any case to wear out a clutch in 8k miles you'd need to be very very abusive to it.

If it was a worn clutch then it would be most most noticeable in higher gears when going up hill. You would notice the engine speed up while you remain going at the same speed - this is clutch slip. Don't get me wrong, if the clutch is worn then you'll get slippage in any gear but it will be most noticeable in the higher ones.

When you say you had "gear slippage" what exactly do you mean - can you describe it?

When you say you get a vibration can you describe exactly where you feel the vibration and under what circumstances?

It is possible to get clutch shudder (shuddering when you are letting out the clutch - usually from a standstill or in the lower gears). This can be caused by glazed clutch/pressure plate/fly wheel often caused by either clutch abuse or from some form of contamination getting on the clutch (oil, grease, coolant) - have you seen anything leaking out from between the engine and gearbox?

Whatever the case, it is very unlikely that it is your fault and most likely a manufacturing fault. I hope Audi fess up and do the right thing by you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could do with a bit more description but from what you describe it certainly doesn't sound like a worn clutch! In any case to wear out a clutch in 8k miles you'd need to be very very abusive to it.

If it was a worn clutch then it would be most most noticeable in higher gears when going up hill. You would notice the engine speed up while you remain going at the same speed - this is clutch slip. Don't get me wrong, if the clutch is worn then you'll get slippage in any gear but it will be most noticeable in the higher ones.

When you say you had "gear slippage" what exactly do you mean - can you describe it?

When you say you get a vibration can you describe exactly where you feel the vibration and under what circumstances?

It is possible to get clutch shudder (shuddering when you are letting out the clutch - usually from a standstill or in the lower gears). This can be caused by glazed clutch/pressure plate/fly wheel often caused by either clutch abuse or from some form of contamination getting on the clutch (oil, grease, coolant) - have you seen anything leaking out from between the engine and gearbox?

Whatever the case, it is very unlikely that it is your fault and most likely a manufacturing fault. I hope Audi fess up and do the right thing by you!
===========
Hello & thanks for the response. Ok, You sound as if you have had technical experience in cars. Here's the confusing bits, when you are explaining to the sales rep. 9 times out of 10 they seldom confirm to knowing the cars manufacturers defects..

The shuddering (like quick vibrations in those few seconds) occurs on the biting point from neutral up to 1st gear. This occurs primarily on a flat and/or gradient surface. When you attempt the 'clutch control' technique the vibration occurs up gearing from neutral to 1st gear. In most cases, when driving I am reluctant to take my foot off the clutch peddle all at once after slipping into 1st gear - in case the car stalls, which it has on many occasions.

More noticeable when the kids are in the car with more load.

All other up gearing from 2-6 is smooth. That's evident. My journeys in the car involve urban, town routes mostly. However, being a driver for over 25 years whilst owning at least 5 Audi's I can strongly say this problem is a mechanical defect.

My Q5 is in today, The Audi garage asked me to sign a disclaimer to suggest if after pulling apart the gear box, they find that the components (cluth plate, etc, being vague) is down to human wear and tear - I will have to foot the 5 hours labour costs. Approx £790.00.

They didn't seem too pleased to have me back on this occasion.

The Q5 is in for 5 days (worst case scenario) but Audi are to update me on the stages of their findings.

Are ok to help in any feedback should they start speaking Martian to me???

·
Registered
10 Posts
yes, the problem in the gearbox exists until the first service is done after that the gears changes smoothly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts