Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the first day I took delivery of my Audi 2011 Q5 2lt Premium Plus, there was a whine/growl at very low speeds up to 10-15 mph. I don't hear it above that. Is this because of the Turbo? Is that a normal sound for this engine, or does it suggest that something might be wrong? I have about 4300 miles on the Q5, and will be taking it in for the free 5,000 Service. Thanks for the help. Elby

·
Registered
33 Posts
From the first day I took delivery of my Audi 2011 Q5 2lt Premium Plus, there was a whine/growl at very low speeds up to 10-15 mph. I don't hear it above that. Is this because of the Turbo? Is that a normal sound for this engine, or does it suggest that something might be wrong? I have about 4300 miles on the Q5, and will be taking it in for the free 5,000 Service. Thanks for the help. Elby
does it happen when u let go off the accelerator? a whine that comes down in frequency? it happens the same to me. dealer says its the power steering pump and its normal. if u have a different opinion or a resolution please report back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does it happen when u let go off the accelerator? a whine that comes down in frequency? it happens the same to me. dealer says its the power steering pump and its normal. if u have a different opinion or a resolution please report back.
I will be taking it in when I get 5,000 miles. Sound come back at slow speeds under 20 mph. Power steering pump does not sound normal. I have a lot of cars, with power steering, from many different car mfg., and haven't had the problem. I don't believe the dealer, since he would have replaced it for you. Elby

·
Registered
3 Posts
This may not have anything to with your issue, but my current car was doing the same thing, and turns out it was from our IPod connector, even when the stereo was off it whined, up and down with acceleration....but when everything was unplugged, the sound went away. We upgraded cables, but now it will still do it when we plug the charger into the 12v plug?

·
Registered
33 Posts
This may not have anything to with your issue, but my current car was doing the same thing, and turns out it was from our IPod connector, even when the stereo was off it whined, up and down with acceleration....but when everything was unplugged, the sound went away. We upgraded cables, but now it will still do it when we plug the charger into the 12v plug?
Wierd..thanks for your valuable opinion. I will try to record a video and post it here so you all can hear the whining i refer to in the cabin and in the outside with the bonnet open.

regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted you to know that I am planning on going to another Q5 Forum that is centered on the United States, as opposed to this one, which seems to be more European Centered. I might have the answer for you anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the simillar whine that was changing frequency when accelerating, dealer updated gearbox software but it didn't
work for long. A month later dsg gearbox completly failed and they had to replace mechatronic
gearbox control unit. Now I have strange rattling/vibration when setting from N to D and dealer doesn't know wat's wrong

·
Registered
33 Posts
ohhh...thats bad..but that doesnt seem to be the same problem. This one is purely mechanical and its based on a belt rolling on a bad pulley. Yours seem to be transmission! Good luck for your resolution!

·
Registered
240 Posts
The whine sounds like a drive belt - probably nothing to worry about.

The rattle sounds like the timing chain. It's hard to tell from the vid exactly how bad it is but it is possible to have a faulty chain tensioner that lets the chain flap about too much.

Oh, I should add that the 2.0TFSI engine in the Q5 is the EA888 engine (VAG's newest) and it runs a chain for the cam drive. The previous 2.0T engine in the VAG stable was the EA113 - this engine uses a belt for the cam drive.

The belt drive is definitely quieter than the chain but the chain has a much longer service life (no more changing the belt at 80,000 or 100,000 km's - or what ever it was on the EA113 engine).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Went to a second dealer today. They showed me another q5 (s-tronic) and an a4 allroad. They also did it...every 2 liter engine does it. Yours too.. argh...turn off your radio and listen carefully.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts