Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, where do I start.....We bought our Q5 2.0 TFSI back in October last year from Audi Worcester. This car was originally owend by Audi HQ Milton Keynes as a managers car and arrived into Worcester's stock the day I was there test driving another Q5. Therefore there were no sales details drawn up as it didn't go on sale as we test drove it the next day and bought it.
We were told it was the 211BHP model and even got the salesman to check this was the case, which he did (in a telephone conversation). The log book says it's a 208PS which we were told would equate to the 211BHP, however whenwe got it serviced last week it came up on the receipt as 180BHP!!
I rang the dealer in Worcester who 'can't recall' us checking the BHP with him when we bought it and asked him to double check it. He is now saying that the log book is wrong and it is all registered as a 180BHP with the chassis number!!
Ok, so now to the crunch!!
I am more than happy with the power of our Q5 and can't really believe that there would be a quicker model in this engine as it's not far off my Z4 for pace!!
So how can i find if log book or the Audi coputer system is correct apart from timing myself 0-60 or going on a rolling road? Also should it matter really as i'm perfectly happy with the performance it's just when we come to sell it will a 211BHP be more desireable?
The dealer is saying that he should notify the DVLA to get our log book changed and has offered a FOC service or the aluminium trim round the gear stick to be changed (as my wife dropped her key on it and dented it!!) as compensation.
I'm thinking we take the compo and leave the log book as it is, if we sell it privately fine, but if we end up selling it to a dealer in the future it will flag up as the 180BHP on the system!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Do you put petrol or diesel in your Q5?

The petrol 2.0TFSI was only available as the 155 kW (211 hp) model engine, the 2.0 TDI was available in ~180hp ( or there abouts).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's petrol, and there are two options 180BHP and 211BHP in the two litre turbo.
What is the KW bit as i'm told mine is 135KW?

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
My V5 log book says mine is 155kW.

I would feel very angry if I had been palmed off with a different spec engine. I guess the only difference would be software and I suppose one could get the ECU reprogrammed or replaced?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Ah @luxgood - I told you not to buy a used one
lol. No, seriously this is a pretty serious issue which Audi should rectify, I'd guess that they are trying to cover up a c0ck up by fobbing you off with a free service!

My advise would be to look at this rationally - the 180hp version is £1,300 cheaper than the 211hp (according the the brochure). Therefore your residual value will be less, probably 60% of the £1,300 depending on when you sell the car.

As the log book is incorrect Audi really don't have a leg to stand on here, my advice would be either:

1. Complain like heck - you were mis-sold and this will impact the cars value. You have written evidence and do you really want an ammendment on the log book that you have to try and explain to the next potential buyer? They should be compensating you in the region of £1000.

2. Take the free service AND fascia replacement - this is the least they should do and you are happy with the car and might not want too much fuss.

Personally I would be pushing for option 3 cos I'm a cheeky git and I think you'd get away with it:

3. Demand a refund for the car for the original value, you were mis-sold and have evidence to prove this, you bought a 211 and you want a 211. The refund will mean your car was free for however long you've owned it and they have depreciated quite a bit since then so you'll be on to a winner.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On my log book it says 'Q5 SLINE SP ED TFSI Q 208' I can't see this kW number anywhere at all!!
On our auto check certificate we got when we bought the car it says EXACTLY the same.
On the used vehicle invoice we got it says 'Audi Q5 S line special edition 2.0 TFSI quattro 18'. Not 180, just 18!!?
The sticker on the door says 'power 180' which I've now taken off!
The other thing is the dealer said that the 208ps would equal 211 bhp but I googled it and 208ps was equating to 205bhp!!??
This is getting confusing, but I want to make sure I get all my facts right before I go to the dealers manager.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm with Kramer (figuratively speaking) and I don't think it's cheeky.

Get the dealer to clarify, in a short timescale and in writing, the exact spec of your vehicle (get them to put it on a rolling road with you there). If it doesn't match I would tell them to supply the vehicle they said they were selling you or refund your money, this is a straight forward consumer issue and the LAW is on your side. They are clearly in the wrong otherwise they wouldn't be offering you anything!

If you're happy with the performance then I would insist on a refund as discussed above and a goodwill gesture - you're owed the difference in what you paid for and were supplied, the gesture is a sorry for messing you around.

Finally, I think PS is pretty close (5%) to BHP, you should be able to get an idea of Kw from any current brochure and interpolating.

Good luck

·
Registered
111 Posts
I see what you are saying but as I said earlier the car had only just come into the dealer so there were never any sales details drawn up, this and the invoice with'18' (as i said not'180') could be my downfall.
I thought of doing a 0-60 test but the 211 is 7.5 and the 180 is 8.5 so not much between them really!!
As I said I'm happy with the performance whichever model it is, but I was missold if it's not the 211!

·
Registered
433 Posts
PS is 98.6% of BHP, 1KW is equal to 1.34 HP

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am assuming your car is a manual? You can only get an auto box in the 211.

Also the sticker on the front page of your service book as a load of short codes on it "ZA3" etc - here you will find the kw number which you can correlate back to the BHP:

roughly:
135 = 180
155 = 211

There are no differences in CO2 between the two versions and so it will be difficult to spot this on a V5 - have you tried typing your numberplate into an online insurance site and seeing what model pops up?

I wouldn't bother with a rolling road test as the factory will have confirmed the BHP on this sticker

From what you described you don't have any evidence that you purchased a 211 so this is going to be a struggle.

From the info you have posted above I think it's going be to difficult to provide you were sold a 211, sounds like you have a true 180 and all the paper work is accurate and it's just your word against the sales man. If this is the case I would push for suggestion #2.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All the paper isn't accurate though Kramer, as the log book says 208 AND the auto check certificate says 208!!
Going to speak with the manager next week to see what he has to say about it all. The salesman goes on holiday on Saturday so I want to get my side of the story accross while he can't tell his manager any lies.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you take the BHP figure of 211 and then convert to PS the figure you get is 208 PS.
PS is the figure the Germans/French use for horse power.

·
Registered
578 Posts
ah I didn't correlate the 208 with the 211 - if you can get a copy of a v5 for a 180 to compare you'll be on to a winner!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've spoken to the dealer manager who was really nice!!
He's saying that the car was priced to us as a 180BHP (i know he's going to say that) but we did think at the time that we had a great deal, so if the 211BHP was £1,300 more list price at new by the car was 12 months old that list would be worth less with discounts and depriciation so maybe only half of that, so we still had a good price on the car even for a 180BHP.
The car has everything on it so we don't want to send it back as I think we would struggle to get another with the spec and mileage.
I've agreed to the aluminium trim round the gear stick to be replaced (which was £300+) and a boot liner (£180) as compo and i'm going to leave the log book as it is (I'll just play dumb when we sell it).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts