Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Q5e has about 1300 miles on it. When I first got it the charge from near zero to whatever Audi is actually claiming as 100% (as determined by the charger which I understand actually charges below full capacity) was about 29 miles. Within days however it dropped to 27. Sometime around the 500 mile mark it declined a bit further to 24 and subsequently to 21. Recently it has dropped to 19 miles. Charging time has also changed from about 2.5 hours for a full charge to 2 hours to about an hour and 3/4. That seems consistent with the drop in charge capacity. Has anyone else experienced this? What is your average charge level? My dealer claims there is nothing wrong and I am getting the advertised charge. I am just unclear why the dramatic drop and whether or not this is normal behavior. I charge at 240v (on a 50 amp rated circuit) using the Audi Charger and I observe the protocol--never fully deplete the battery and never attempt to charge over 80%--although using the Audi charger 50% and 100%v are the only options. I would be grateful for any insights from other owners.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am interested in your experience as I have ordered a Q5e which should be with me April 2022. What power battery do you have and what capacity charger do you have? Usually the cars electronics will not allow you to go below 10% or above 80% to preserve the battery longevity. Your experience is baffling as I would have expected the EV range to be fairly consistent, about 29 miles. It almost sounds as though there is a battery/car electronics and/or charger problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am interested in your experience as I have ordered a Q5e which should be with me April 2022. What power battery do you have and what capacity charger do you have? Usually the cars electronics will not allow you to go below 10% or above 80% to preserve the battery longevity. Your experience is baffling as I would have expected the EV range to be fairly consistent, about 29 miles. It almost sounds as though there is a battery/car electronics and/or charger problem.
The 2021 model had a 14.7 KWH battery pack--the 2022 has I believe a 19.2 KWH battery so should have more capacity. The Audi charger automatically regulates the charging and while you can theoretically exhaust the battery--that is zero --audi won't let if go below 10% or above 80% regardless of what the indicators show. The charger is identical to what the etron's use and is one of the best EV chargers available based on consumer reviews.

·
Registered
33 Posts
None of this explains the range deterioration over time. For the Q5e Audi currently recommend the pod point 7.4kW charger for home use. I wonder there is a difference between the etron and Q5e charger in the way that it charges? I will be surprised if it there is a difference but it might be worth investigating. The new Q5e battery is 17.9kWh with a maximum charge rate of 7.4kW so it will take 2.5 hours for a 'full' charge from 'empty'.

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,959 Posts
Probably not useful for you (and take this with a pinch of salt), but my only non-experience insight would be to avoid all first generation Audi/VW etc electric vehicles for now. Their electric technology seems to have all been too rushed to try and catchup with Tesla and run away from dieselgate / emissions scandal. Hopefully in a few years the next generation or so will be good/better, but anyone jumping in now is unfortunately a guinea pig for Audi/VW until then. They cant even do OTA except for maps in the new vehicles, everything else requires a trip to the dealership still... :cautious:

Hopefully you get your battery issue sorted, but it sounds like its never going to be the same as it was new, and will probably reduce as you have experienced and then settle and remain fairly consistent for the majority of the rest of the battery life, as long as its charged correctly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I totally agree with you. The major problem is that the battery technology and ancillary infrastructure have not caught up with the application. I have purchased a hybrid as 90%+ of my journeys are 30 miles or less. I am hoping that a viable practical solution will appear in 5 to 6 years time when I will change to an EV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts