Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'ello 'ello peeps,

I've just picked up a brand new 2021 model Q5 40 TDI S-line to replace my previous 8R model Q5. It's a superb piece of kit but for one annoyance. Is anyone else disappointed with the centre armrest? The 8R armrest had a ratchet mechanism that held it in position but this one is just held with friction, as soon as i put any weight on it it drops to the bottom. is this normal?

It doesn't extend either. Pants.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Shineydave

I feel the same way, due to Covid I was unable to get a good look at the car in a showroom setting and had failed to realise the armrest was not set up the same, I only got a DIY video from the salesman. Also disappointed that the phone charger platform has gone (I thought it was part of the "Technology pack" which is now standard in this car). I was told that few customers found it useful and that it was not reliable, my previous Q5 had two replaced under warranty when they failed in under 2 years. I felt that considering the price you pay just to have an open space with two cup holders did spoil the appearance of the entire centre consul. It seems that in the USA Audi users have complained about this too so a "cup holder cover" was created, something not so far available in the UK. With all the free time I have during "stay at home" I decided to make a DIY platform using a piece of acrylic black sheet, cut to size and shaped to fit the recess, it blends in with the redesigned centre consul now missing the touchpad and selector knob. I then bought a silicone charging mat which sits on the cover and holds my phone securely but at this price I would have expected more from Audi. That apart as you say it's a nice piece of kit, I've had no issues in the three weeks I've owned it but only managed 100 miles so far, maybe after lockdown we can proper test it í ¾í´ž

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all , just picked up my new 2021 s line in Ultra Blue ( amazing colour ) . I had added the Audi phone box same as I had in my 2017 model but am extremely disappointed to see the same as Shineydave the ratchet and sliding mechanism has been replaced wit a non extending floppy armrest that doesn’t catch my arm at all , dammed annoyed at this considering the cars value. I have just looked on the configurator and see the now offer a deluxe arm rest for £200 with ratchet , how bad is this , poor on you Audi.

Reactions: maddison

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I too have recently taken delivery of an s line Q5 having previously owned the sports Q5. I am disappointed about the floppy arm rest as the ratchet type arm rest was standard in my old sports model. I wasn't even made aware that the arm rest wasn't the ratchet type. Are Audi getting greedy by making customers pay more for a piece of equipment which was standard I wonder. My wife has just purchased a Q3 sports 21 plate and her arm rest is the ratchet type as standard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve tried to find out if parts are available to buy si I can change the arm rest but I’m not getting much response from Audi UK , does anyone know if there’s a fix

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,959 Posts
Just phone any Audi dealership and ask to speak to the parts department and get a quote to supply.

·
Registered
1 Posts
'ello 'ello peeps,

I've just picked up a brand new 2021 model Q5 40 TDI S-line to replace my previous 8R model Q5. It's a superb piece of kit but for one annoyance. Is anyone else disappointed with the centre armrest? The 8R armrest had a ratchet mechanism that held it in position but this one is just held with friction, as soon as i put any weight on it it drops to the bottom. is this normal?

Hi, I just collected my brand new Audi Q5 sports back yesterday. Like you, I am so disappointed that the central armrest hasn’t got a ratchet mechanism. My previous A 6 had this. I wonder can it be replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all , just picked up my new 2021 s line in Ultra Blue ( amazing colour ) . I had added the Audi phone box same as I had in my 2017 model but am extremely disappointed to see the same as Shineydave the ratchet and sliding mechanism has been replaced wit a non extending floppy armrest that doesn’t catch my arm at all , dammed annoyed at this considering the cars value. I have just looked on the configurator and see the now offer a deluxe arm rest for £200 with ratchet , how bad is this , poor on you Audi.
Yep wish I'd found this forum before purchase but like others bought blindly during the lockdown due contract expiration. Spoke to Audi and there appears to be no approved mod to the situation. Perhaps I'll prop the expensive leather covered box lid, I mean armrest, up with a tin of beans. Not bad for a £60k motor eh chap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
'ello 'ello peeps,

Hi mate did you get a resolution to this issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It’s surprising how much you miss the sliding ratchet armrest on a journey. My wife’s new VW T Roc has one as standard, ridiculous that Audi has optioned it after being standard all these years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Collected my new q5 edition 1 week ago and very disappointed with central arm rest having traded in perfectly good 4 year old q5 with fully functioning armrest!!!! I see on the Audi Configurator they have changed the armrest back to sliding and height adjustment armrest as standard but what about all the rest of us? I’ve contacted local dealership and am awaiting a reply #notahappybunny

·
Registered
7 Posts
Collected my new q5 edition 1 week ago and very disappointed with central arm rest having traded in perfectly good 4 year old q5 with fully functioning armrest!!!! I see on the Audi Configurator they have changed the armrest back to sliding and height adjustment armrest as standard but what about all the rest of us? I’ve contacted local dealership and am awaiting a reply #notahappybunny
I am in the same situation. I was told by audi customer service that basically it is what it is, it cant be changed to an adjustable one, get on with it. Angry is an understatement. Let me know if you get anywhere please.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in the same situation. I was told by audi customer service that basically it is what it is, it cant be changed to an adjustable one, get on with it. Angry is an understatement. Let me know if you get anywhere please.
I will do .I’m currently in contact with Audi uk who are going to look into it tomorrow and also have the dealership looking into it.It’s very wrong that cars costing over £50,000 need a drink cup to prop up the ridiculous central armrest!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, did you manage to get any kind of positive response out of Audi Uk? Thx
They were very sorry for inconvenience but their technicians had no solution and suggested speaking to own dealership to see if they could help - as I pointed out to them if they had no solution how did they expect local dealership to have one ! Just very annoying that any cars ordered now have slide and height adjustments as standard. Trying to not let it ruin the experience of the car and so have a black drinks bottle propping it up 🤣

·
Registered
814 Posts
? My 2019 new style Q5 has a ratchet armrest as standard - just like my 2013 old style model ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts