Audi Q5 Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hi guys I think we can ignore the readings from my phone in the test listed in my previous post. Got hold of a 'proper' sound measuring device and did a quick couple of runs. 40mph showed 62db------50mph showed------64db-------60mph showed 66db. This kinda ties in with Car and Driver magazine who got 67db at 70mph. I just had time to do one run with the rear seats flat and the area covered with my trusty duvet again. All results were only 2db lower than the first run. Not very technical I know but it is beginning to make me think that most of the tyre/road noise is being produced and amplified by the front section of the car rather than the rear, Is the sound being amplified by the lightweight suspension assembly and/or the drivetrain ? Or does the front floor and firewall sections need soundproofing rather than the rear.
More testing needs to be done with readings taken in the rear passenger seats compared to the front. I will have to leave it for now though. Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
My problem is there is an additional noise, on top of the usual road noise, which sounds a bit like someone blowing across the top of a beer bottle. It appears to be coming from the rear at anything over 20 mph. Went back to the dealer who agrees the noise is there. We then drove another Q5 with the same tyres and the noise was there too. We then drove an SQ5 and no noise. It could be the Michelin tyres that are the cause, and also, maybe the noise is worse with new Michelin tyres. The next thing is to find a Q5 with tyres other than Michelin Lattitude Sport 3, and see what that sounds like. It would be useful to hear from a forum member with tyres other than the Michelins.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hi Rexus I have been reading some American sites where they also have been discussing the Q5 tyre/road noise problem. A lot of the owners swear by Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres reporting much lower noise in the car. Apparently most had changed from Continentals to the Eagle F1s. As you say, maybe other forum members who have other makes on their car could share their thoughts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi
I have Pirelli scorpion verde 20" on my 2017 SLINE. Nothing like you mention and the only significant road noise I get is over really old motorway tarmac.
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On my loan Q5 there are continentals. Tyre noise is noticeable. We noticed loud tyre noise on my wife's A3 Sportback when it was new, but have got used to it. They are ok Continentals too. Maybe it's just an Audi thing? I'll have some comparison when my Q5 arrives in a couple of weeks

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hi guys- as most owners of the new Q5 will not have changed tyres yet, it will be interesting to see how different owners and tyre types fair in the future. Yet another issue spoiling the ownership experience for a lot of people.

·
Registered
17 Posts
On my loan Q5 there are continentals. Tyre noise is noticeable. We noticed loud tyre noise on my wife's A3 Sportback when it was new, but have got used to it. They are ok Continentals too. Maybe it's just an Audi thing? I'll have some comparison when my Q5 arrives in a couple of weeks

Yes, a comparison with your new Q5 will be interesting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Rexus I have been reading some American sites where they also have been discussing the Q5 tyre/road noise problem. A lot of the owners swear by Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres reporting much lower noise in the car. Apparently most had changed from Continentals to the Eagle F1s. As you say, maybe other forum members who have other makes on their car could share their thoughts.
Justanhonestman: Do you know if the American site complaints related to the current Q5 or the previous model. I assume there would be a difference between the two.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hi Rexus it was the new Q5 which they were reviewing. Don't ask what the sites were lol but it was a mixture of motoring magazines, independant reviewers and forums etc. But most mentioned the high road/tyre noise. While waiting on my new Q5 being delivered, the dealer gave me an S-line Plus deisel with 1500 miles on it. There was certainly no noise similar to what I am getting now in my new model Q5. I actually thought about making them an offer on the mk1 I drove. I really liked it and it felt a more solid and robust car. But it makes sense to go for the latest model and tech I suppose -- or so I thought lol. Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
It turns out, that the demonstrator Q5 I drove in June, and which had very little road noise, was fitted with Michelin Lattitude Sport 3 tyres, the same as mine. If my road noise is being caused by tyres, then the only conclusion is that the noise must reduce with mileage. Dealer is still looking for a Q5 with different tyres to compare.

·
Still Game
4,613 Posts
I changed from Michelin Latitude Sport on 19in rims to Bridgestone Dueller on 20in rims and was pleasantly surprised to notice a reduction in road noise :) IMHO, they seem to be equal on grip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I get the impression that most alternatives to the Michelins have less road noise, yet the majority of recent Q5s leaving the factory seem to have Michelins fitted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2018 MY came with Continental Conti Sport Contact 5 tyres, size 235/55 R19, which I thought were pretty quiet. I have changed to the all-season Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons gen2, which I think are even quieter, definitely not in the slightest intrusive. Only a subjective opinion though, no decibel data.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m going to attempt to bring this thread back from the dead. I just picked up a 2016 q5 s line with 20” wheels. The tires are brand new Bridgestone duelers. I’m going to attempt the same duvet test using a free iPhone decibel app. I don’t have the cargo cover so the test will just be before and after duvet. If it pans out I’m planning to put some sound absorbing foam in the wheel wells and in the spare tire area to help deaden the tire noise. It’s definitely the first because when I’m on smooth asphalt the car is completely silent. Also the sound is coming only from the rear of the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the car is pretty quiet overall especially on good tarmac. Road noise is the biggest issue on modern cars. Can’t compare it to previous model Q5 but my older Jaguars were extremely quiet compared to the aluminium built ones.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts