Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I have read several threads relating to start stop and HHA. I am still a bit confused as to how and if the two systems work together. Can anyone confirm that with the s tronic gearbox start stop still works with HHA engaged? For example - pull up to a standstill on an incline with footbake depressed, HHA engaged, start stop activates and engine stops. Remove foot from footbake. Engine remains stopped until throttle lightly depressed, engine starts and HHA releases as vehicle pulls away? I am talking about the very latest 2014 MY models here btw.
Thanks,
Peter.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Remove foot from footbrake and the engine will restart. If you put it in park it will not restart if you take your foot off the footbrake. I use this sometimes when stopped at traffic lights.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I read somewhere that on other Audi models this may not be the case (Q3?). Out of interest if you apply the handbrake before releasing the footbrake does the engine start? Is your Q5 a 2014 spec? It sort of detracts from having HHA if you need to keep the footbrake depressed in order to benefit from stop start don't you think? Daytona grey is the best colour in my opinion!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The stop start doesn't always kick in, so with HHA you don't then have to keep your foot on the brake. It's still a great feature IMO.

Reactions: rifleman

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I see that you have drive select on you Q5. Do you know the difference between having this alone and drive select with damper control? I have been told that drive select adjusts the ride quality so I don't see what damper control does in addition to this? I guess you have std suspension and not the option of sports suspension?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yes, standard suspension. I've generally set drive select on auto but tried it with dynamic a few times on the same routes. I really don't notice much difference when driving at speed in windy country roads. Dynamic sounds a bit more "throaty".

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Thanks. I read somewhere that on other Audi models this may not be the case (Q3?). Out of interest if you apply the handbrake before releasing the footbrake does the engine start? Is your Q5 a 2014 spec? It sort of detracts from having HHA if you need to keep the footbrake depressed in order to benefit from stop start don't you think? Daytona grey is the best colour in my opinion!
Thanks again.
Mine was registered March this year. I think HHA is great and the logic works fine. I wouldn't want a Q5 without it now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info on your experience with drive select hectorshouse. Do you know what damper cotrol provides that drive select does not? I thought drive select also altered the dampers and the ride quality so I am a little confused as to what damper control does with std suspension? Would you recommend damper control on an s line plus with the 20 inch wheels?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Drive select gets you control over various things, the only setting which is standard is engine/gearbox, this setting affects shift points and throttle response.

You can add further options, which then add to what you can do in drive select, such as :
Damper Control - electronic dampers allowing you to change ride comfort (not available on SQ5)
Dynamic Steering - variable ratio/weight steering allowing you to change the steering characteristics.
Adaptive cruise control - drive select lets you choose how hard it accelerates
Exhaust sound - choose if the v8 rumble noise is in (exclusive to SQ5, comes standard on SQ5)

If you add any of the above options it forces you to add drive select. It is probably not worth adding just drive select on its own as all you get is the engine/gearbox and you can put the gearbox is S anyway without drive select.

HHA and Stop/Start work well together IMO. HHA is not designed to give your leg a rest when stationary, it's designed to make pulling away easier by arresting 'creep' and if on a hill preventing you roll back/forward.
When the car comes to a stop it keeps the footbrake applied for you - the start/stop will only kick in if you press the brake pedal hard enough (so if you are only going to stop for 3 seconds you can prevent the engine stopping by being light with the brake pedal, once stationary lift off the brake, HHA will hold you still while you hover over the throttle ready to pull out without delay from a busy junction for example).

As mentioned if you put it in Park whilst start/stop is kicked in you can remove your foot from the brake and the engine will stay off. Start/stop is disabled when the parking sensors are turned on.

If you take your seatbelt off whilst HHA is kicked in it will apply the handbrake for you (and release the footbrake pressure it was holding).
As a side note, if you have advanced key then the exiting procedure is simply;
Put it in Park
Take seat belt off (this will apply the hand brake for you)
Open the door (this will turn the engine off for you)

Hope that helps!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your very comprehensive and useful answer. I have also contacted Audi customer services. I'm afraid that the two people at Audi that I spoke to were not avle to explain to the level of detail that I required and they have gone away to speak with their technical department. They did both say that drive selct will alter the ride even without damper control which does not seem to make sense to me. I find the lack of knowledge and abiguity by both dealerships and Audi regarding the detail for options and the explanations given quite concerning.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have an opinion on whether the dynamic suspension option is a must have on the new s line plus with std suspension and 20 inch standard wheels? I do not want a hard riding car as i complete quite long journeys. It seems that the original information that i was given reference Audi Drive Assist was incorrect and this needs to be used in conjunction with dynamic suspension if i wish to have control over the ride quality. It is another £680, adding to an already hefty options list! Reviews say that the latest models do have softer standard suspension...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Without the extra options fitted ADS does nothing.
To alter the ride "feel" you need adaptive steering and or adaptive dampers.

That's all it controls on the Q5 platform.
S adds exhaust noise control option.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
'Hard ride' is very subjective...

From my point of view my SQ5 (which as snowman pointed out has a lowered version of the sport suspension) is firm, but far from harsh - many passengers (including 3 which just did 250 miles yesterday in it, and 2 which did 600 miles over 2 days last week with me) have all commented without prompting on how comfortable it is...

I would suggest you need to test drive a car with the sports suspension to make your in decision on this as it is very hard to give advice on it with it being such a subjective/personal thing...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
289 Posts
Sounds like I have wasted £220 by specifying ADS without selecting the Dynamic steering or Damper control options........

The price list states "changes your car's handling and responses at the touch of a button to suit the way you want to
drive. There are five modes: comfort, dynamic, auto, efficiency and individual. Please note that you can only choose the
'individual' mode and customise your settings if you also have Technology Package installed".

Which is hardly true... I can't see any way the handling will change...

I may have to see if I can change my order.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree. I think that Audi information is very misleading and I have said this to customer services. I am testing a car on Saturday with 20 inch wheels s line plus standard suspension to see if I need to spec dynamic suspension, in addition to ADS (additional £680). On a separate note; I see that you have gone for leather/alcantara trim, a lot of people do spec this. I am interested why compared to full leather as a no cost option?

·
Banned
289 Posts
I agree. I think that Audi information is very misleading and I have said this to customer services. I am testing a car on Saturday with 20 inch wheels s line plus standard suspension to see if I need to spec dynamic suspension, in addition to ADS (additional £680). On a separate note; I see that you have gone for leather/alcantara trim, a lot of people do spec this. I am interested why compared to full leather as a no cost option?
Concerning the alcantara.... my reasoning was as follows:

1. I don't have young kids, so the wipe-cleanability of leather is not too important to me.
2. Full leather tends to react to the extremes of the weather - it gets very hot in summer and very cold in winter.
3. Full leather causes shiny trousers.

4. The alcantara option looks great..

5. The alcantara option includes the contrast stitching on the armrests/steering wheel/gaiter etc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also love the alacantra look and feel and I am glad that I ordered it. Mine below.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts