Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
The US Q5 forums seem to be pretty dead, especially when it comes to mods, so I hope you guys don't mind me joining in from across the pond.

Took delivery of our new Q5 a few weeks ago... Special ordered with just what we wanted.

2014 Q5 Premium 2.0 TFSI
  • Lava Gray Metallic
  • Black Leather
  • Fine Grain Ash inlays
  • Lighting Package,Xenon w/ LED DRL
  • Heated Seats
That's a fairly base model as far as US Spec's go, but with the US Audi club discount/loyalty incentives, it came in at a US$36,500, putting it only a notch above what much more mundane Acurubaru type offerings. And while I like all my vehicles to have decent power (and find the 2.0 petrol turbo delivers very nicely), I prefer to keep the sports and utility a bit separate rather than squashing them both into a single vehicle like the SQ5.

Loving it so far, need to get the mods going!...

The 2014 Q5:

It's the first Audi that's been in driving rotation, but a few other past and present PAG garage mates:

2004 996 C2 - Currently sharing the garage with the Q5:

2004 Touareg V8 - Gone but not forgotten:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome!

$36500??!!! Just over £21,000 for a brand new Q5?? Rip off Britain strikes again!!

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Welcome aboard, yes that price must b over 15k cheaper than uk equivalent ,gr8 value car,nice Porsche 2 😄

·
Registered
7 Posts
First mods... Audi rubber floor and cargo mats (not really much of a mod), but much more practical in the Colorado mountains than the carpet mats. And 20% llumar front window tint to match the rear factory tint (see first picture in thread).

Plus, these guys will go in the back on occasion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Second mod...

I couldn't bring myself to pay an extra US$3,550 for the OEM Audi nav system. First, because I don't see it as being worth 10% the price of the entire vehicle, and second because even with the latest improvements, the functionality of the OEM nav doesn't hold a candle to what an iPad or iPhone can do. Plus I need iDevice functionality for business purposes... So started working up a mounting system.

I've done several iPad mounts in other vehicles, from fully integrated in the dash to RAM mounts... Wanted something fairly unobtrusive and very easy to mount/unmount the phone. I'd seen some universal mounts that use magnets, and while the mounts themselves seemed very flimsy, I did like the magnet idea.

I'm always nervous tearing into a new car, especially when I don't know exactly how different panels release. They usually come off easily if you know the technique, but you can also break clips on expensive parts if you get it wrong... Fortunately, I got it right!

A bit of measuring, cutting, bending, to hack a nail plate into the general shape I was looking for...

Testing out some neodymium magnets and a metal plate tucked into the iPhone case...

A bit more shaping and finishing on the plate, and more magnets for a better grip (I also wanted it to be strong enough to hold an iPad mini), a bit of adhesive felt...

Works great! It just sort of 'jumps' onto the mount, and pulls off just as easily. Tested with an iPad mini, works great as well. I use Waze as my primary navigation tool, as well as some custom apps. The MMI inteface cable in the glove-box goes to a 30 pin extension cable, then a 30-pin to lightning adapter, and the iPhone 5 or iPad mini charges, as well as integrates with the music system for Pandora, iTunes radio, or whatever other streaming audio apps I want to use.

Total cost was 50 cents for the nail plate, $1 for the adhesive felt, and a few bucks for the magnets.

This was really just a prototype... but as often happens, if it ends up working well, I don't always bother with version 2.0.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hi and welcome, damn sight cheaper over the pond than here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If anyone is interested, here is the in-dash iPad mini setup I did for the 911. It just happened that the 2-Din opening in the dash was a pretty good starting point, so I went from there... It took a fair bit of modification to the panels, but (IMHO) it looks very OEM and can be returned to completely stock by replacing some comparatively inexpensive parts.

More details of that mod can be seen here...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi and welcome, damn sight cheaper over the pond than here.
Cars are definitely comparative 'bargains' in the US compared to most other countries, even the country of origin for euro imports. Though I think the average Q5 price in the US is still quite a bit higher than mine... Hard to resist all the options and upgrades, and I'd say the average new US Q5 is more like US$55,000. Taxes are a bit different, with each city/county/state charging potentially different sales tax (not included in my quoted price), ranging from 0% in some places to maybe 9% or 10%, but no federal sales tax. Still less than your VAT though...

What does a base, no option, Q5 2.0 gasoline cost in the UK, without VAT?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Base model (SE) with 2.0 TFSI 225PS & Tiptronic Auto Transmission costs £27,779 without VAT but does not have the following items of equipment standard on US spec Q5 Base model (Premium):
AMI (£212.50), Bench Seat Plus (£145.83), Electric Front Seats (£637.50), Homelink garage door opener (£150) & Wood Inlays (£170.83)
Equipped to the same level as US a UK car would cost £29096 without VAT.
As noted previously US customer pays significantly less before tax.
Go figure!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Great car, but the dogs are even better and look so intelligent!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts