Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Engine light came on today, I did a scan with my OBD II reader and it came up with P20BD code which points towards a 'reductant heater open circuit'.

The car runs fine with no issues, hopefully can get it booked in tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone has faced this as it is apparently a common fault although can't find any posts on here relating to this. Would be be great if i could get an idea of best and worse case scenario in costs for getting it fixed.

Cheers!

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
2,276 Posts
Quick Google found these. Would have a read through before going to the dealer ;)

Reactions: Steve B

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey All,

Engine light came on today, I did a scan with my OBD II reader and it came up with P20BD code which points towards a 'reductant heater open circuit'.

The car runs fine with no issues, hopefully can get it booked in tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone has faced this as it is apparently a common fault although can't find any posts on here relating to this. Would be be great if i could get an idea of best and worse case scenario in costs for getting it fixed.

Cheers!
Just had exactly the same issue solved with new part easy fix
Goggles Sunglasses White Vision care Eye glass accessory

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Amazing thanks for that Jim! This is what i'm hoping for me as well :)

Had the car at an indie last Thursday and they seemed to think it was the heating element in the tank and said I needed a new Adblue tank at an eye watering £3.4K +vat o_O. But my instinct tells me its the part you listed, i think i'll at least get that replaced first and see how i get on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Amazing thanks for that Jim! This is what i'm hoping for me as well :)

Had the car at an indie last Thursday and they seemed to think it was the heating element in the tank and said I needed a new Adblue tank at an eye watering £3.4K +vat o_O. But my instinct tells me its the part you listed, i think i'll at least get that replaced first and see how i get on.
Hope it works for you I was told all sort but thought just replace that part then cleared fault code a train fitter in work didn't for me happydays
The clutch in my ac pump has gone now

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
UPDATE: So i actually remedied my situation for about £5 in the end by, by-passing the heating element in the reductant tube with a 6 ohm 100w resistor. The resistor looks like the heating element to the cars computer as they are the same thing, wound wire. The whole job took about 30mins to sort out.

The heating element doesn't get used unless ambient temperatures reach -11 and in my part of the country the lowest I've seen is -3 so I don't feel there is any risk. If at the worst we experience an unusually cold winter then I'll just get the whole reductant line changed.

Plant Automotive tire Tire Road surface Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
2013 Q5 Tdi (177PS) Quattro
1 Posts
UPDATE: So i actually remedied my situation for about £5 in the end by, by-passing the heating element in the reductant tube with a 6 ohm 100w resistor. The resistor looks like the heating element to the cars computer as they are the same thing, wound wire. The whole job took about 30mins to sort out. The heating element doesn't get used unless ambient temperatures reach -11 and in my part of the country the lowest I've seen is -3 so I don't feel there is any risk. If at the worst we experience an unusually cold winter then I'll just get the whole reductant line changed. View attachment 12696 View attachment 12695
Great fix Steve B, thanks for taking the time to post this cheap fix for an expensive heater that is probably never going to get used in the relatively warm UK winters. Just done exactly as you said, £5 resistor from eBay or £125 new pipe from Audi…….no brainer!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts