Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my beautiful Q5 last May. I have never felt about another car the way I do about my Audi Q5. It's beautiful! It's fun to drive! It's a car to be proud of. I love my car!

But my car has a problem that has been going on for months now and I am told by Audi Support that it is a "known problem" for which there is no fix yet.

The problem is a tough one to solve, I am sure: My brakes squeak intermittently. They squeak at the very first stop I make every day after pulling out of my garage. Then it goes away until some other place, perhaps at a stop sign. Again, I may go hours without another squeak, only to have it show up again later.

The dealer was responsive to my complaint and checked and cleaned my brakes thoroughly with a high-pressure hose, thinking it might be dust build-up. But, my brakes squeaked when I pulled out of their garage. While sympathetic, the dealer tells me there is nothing more they can do for me. At this point they told me to talk to Audi Support and I have done so, twice now. I am told by Audi Support that it is a "known problem" and that Audi is working on a fix and when they figure it out, I'll be notified.

My concern is that while it might be a known problem, it might not be affecting too many of us Audi Q5 owners, which means that Audi is not going to work very hard to fix it, perhaps putting a fix off in the hope that brake wear will get rid of the problem on its own. But in the meantime, I have a car that turns heads at some stop signs, not because they are admiring my beautiful Q5, but because they are wondering whose car is making that noise. Having to explain to my friends, who are oohing and ahhing about riding with me for the first time, why my brand new Audi Q5 has squeaky brakes is a embarrassing.

What really bothers me is that I Googled this problem, looking to see what others had to say and found the following thread that talks about the problem being fixed, yet Audi didn't seem to know anything about it!

http://forums.vwvort...queaking-brakes

So if anyone else out there has a 2013 Audi Q5 with squeaky brakes, please let me know!

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
My brakes are REALLY squeaky when creeping at low speed. Oddly, I kinda like the noise, I always think it's like the noise of a tethered beast waiting to break loose! (Properly odd now aren't I!)

No use to you I know, but at least confirming its common. Maybe if you think of it like I do it will annoy you less!?
Note my SQ5 has unique larger front brakes compared to a Q5 though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Jose. But I can't help but feel when you pay this much for a car, it shouldn't squeak. It is a bit of a relief to hear someone else has the problem. One wonders though, why can't a high-tech engineering company like Audi figure out what the problem is?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
In my experience every auto does it to some extend as you creep... Ever since I was a kid I remember hearing it at most junctions as the driver balanced the brake against the slight pull of the engine.
I would say my SQ is one of the louder ones though for sure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a 2013 Q5, 9,000 miles, brakes sound like an old school bus when applied. Dealer has "opened a case" with Audi, but it will be several weeks before a fix is ready. I have an idea, just replace the pads and rotars, what else could be causing a squeak. Real unhappy when I call the Audi Customer Service line, received lip service. Sure glad I spent a ton of bucks on an Audi so the breaks could squeak.

Also, when I went to the dealer, there were 2 other campaigns that I was never notified about that were performed. Real class Audi!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, yes, yes. I love my Q5 but the squeaky brakes are killing me!!

I had the same experience from my local dealer as jdrake. They suggested I go to the Tesco's car park and ride the brake for a while!!

Starting to become very annoying, seeing how much we fork out for these cars.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Read a topic on this on A.N.Other forum this weekend - someone posted this link and everyone that followed it's advice said it solved the issue...
http://zeckhausen.co...g_in_brakes.htm

I might well try it as while as Missile says you do forget about it most of the time, once it a while it does annoy me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2 year old Q5 3L Diesel squeaks very loudly under most gentle braking and mainly at low speeds which which is very irritating for a car that costs this much..
You do get what you pay for but I did not request this extra feature..
Dealer has advised that it is due to the way I brake and that I should brake more aggressively to eliminate the squeak....
My braking habits have not really changed over the years and I will brake to suit the driving conditions.

Dealer has suggested I change the pads (at my cost) but won't guarantee it will work..
Are the pads the issue???
Has anyone else out there changed the pads and eliminated the problem???
Is it a calliper alignment issue???
Any suggestions anyone?????

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2012 Q5 has the same issue...squeaky breaks when stopping at low speed. It is in at the dealer right now. Surprise!!! They told me that my breakpads need to be changed and ALSO my discs! Are they crazy??? Change break discs at 27k km?? Break pads might be changed at 27k km, but discs??? This is not normal. They said it depends on driving habits, which I agree on; however, my previous car was a 2006 VW Passat, V6, 3.2lt 4motion and sold with approx 120,000km and I NEVER had to change a single break disc...that speaks about my driving habits! I also have issues with the gear box...it kicks when lowering gears coming to a full stop...big kicks. They fixed this back in Oct/Nov and by "reflashing" the system, but is doing it again. Also rattling of pano roof, central speaker and trunk. THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN IN AN AUDI!

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
I agree discs shouldn't need changeing @27k regardless of driveing habits,my pal had rs6 with extremely bad squeaky brakes,after much comlplaing and Audi swapped disc and pads ,but said they wouldn't do it again,and sure enough after a couple of weeks the squeekig came back,it irritated him so much he sold it and bought a cyanne ,with no squeaky brakes 😄

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm with your mate, I'd change my car if the same happened to me. Can't stand it, or rattles!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem with my previous ML Mercedes, to the point where it was driving me mad!! i took it to the dealers 3 times and they confirmed that it is quite normal for 4x4's or SUV's to do this!!
Well I did not / would not accept that so i decided that i would find the solution myself.
After, fitting new brake pads and trying different anti squeal grease, the problem would always return after a couple of weeks, or sooner if there was a lot of standing water on the roads, which would wash away the grease.
So the solution was fit "Stick on anti squeal shims"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINTEX-CERA-TEC-ANTI-SQUEAL-SHIMS-SQUEAKING-PADS-BRAKE-PAD-GREASE-CERATECH-/130861418755?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e77f2c903

Similar to the ones advertised in the link above. They stopped the squealing completely. You just stick them to the back of the brake pads, then reinstall the pads, job done and sanity returned..... well as sane as i ever was!!
They last as long as the pads do then you have to fit new ones when you change the pads.

I'm sure that you can get them at lots of places, other than the link but i just wanted to show you what worked for me, don't remember where i got mine from, it was a while ago.

Apparently brake squeal is caused by resonance between the back of the Pads and the ends of the pistons in the calipers, the shims act as a non metalic cushion between the two.
Hope this helps and good luck

·
Banned
842 Posts
+1 on another with squeaky breaks when feathering at slow speeds.

I simply adopted my driving style to scare the shit out of every at junctions and just slam on before I crash into the back of them

Don't notice it any more now!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is an update on my Q5 squeaky brake problem (since I was the one who started this thread):

Audi has indeed fixed the problem! It required the installation of new brake pads on all four wheels, specifically improved to eliminate the brake squeak. This dealer installation was done free of charge, which, although expected, is great!

While I am ecstatic that the squeaky brake problem is gone, I am still getting over the disappointment that Audi took so long to address the problem. I don't know if they purposely kept their dealers in the dark about the problem, or what, but my dealer, who did everything in their power (short of installing new brakes) to try and fix the problem, didn't admit to the problem at first and told me to contact Audi corporate about it. Being that this problem is apparently intermittent and does not affect all Q5 owners, I can understand the dealer's reluctance to go through the expense of swapping in new brakes and having them also squeak. (My dealer, Wilsonville Audi, always does a great job and I literally drive miles out of my way to use their service department. None of this was their fault, and I continue to use their service department.)

I do wish, however, that Audi corporate would have made a better attempt to keep me informed as to the status of this problem by periodic calls and/or emails (e.g., "We have identified the problem and are working on a solution"; "The solution is in test right now", etc.). Instead, I had to keep calling every month to find out what was going on. As it is, I bought my car in May 2013 and the problem wasn't revolved until May/June 2014. The squeaky brake duration has, unfortunately, ruined any hope I might have had of replacing our second car with another new Audi, as my wife is still upset that it took so long to fix.

The bottom line is our beautiful Audi Q5 is once again, working great!

I suggest that if you have a 2013 Q5 and occasional squeaky brakes (especially after the car has sat for a few hours), Contact your dealer. Tell them this is a known problem with a known solution.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As previously said you need to use your brakes
this is a common when using the car in stop start traffic and light braking to resolve the squeak that the car out on a quite bit of road and from 60 stamp hard on the brakes but try not to activate the ABS do this at least 6 times this will get rid of any build up on your disks and should be squeak free but it will come back if your doing a lot of town driving but just repeat the steps
http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

i use the above method every time i get new disks or a new motor never had any issues after adopting his procedure

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a 2013 Q5 S-line and had the same problems. I mentioned it to the dealer upon my first service and they said that's normal. It got to the point that I took it in at 25k miles and they called me and told me I needed new brakes and rotors. I explained that there is no way that the car should need new brakes and rotors at 25k miles and stated this had been an issue since shortly after purchase. The dealership told me it would be $1000+ for the repair, so I elected to contact Audi's VP of Customer Experience, Jeri Ward. She placed someone in touch with me, they scheduled a service appointment and agreed to replace brakes and rotors at their expense.

At my 30k mile service, the brakes had once again developed a noticeable squeak. The dealer had it all day and finally said tat Audi hadn't issued a recall on Q5 S-Line pads, but realized there was a problem. The service rep mentioned that they would need to keep the car, as they were having a "new prototype" brake pad sent overnight, which should resolve the issue. The service rep said that I would be the "guinea pig", which wasn't reassuring. The pads were replaced and despite the fact that the service rep mentioned there was considerable blueing on the rotors, only pads were replaced.

This leads me to today. The brakes have developed a noticeable vibration and the rotors outer edge looks like it has been grinded down - along wit considerable discoloration from the hat the brakes are generating. I have spoken with Audi's corporate once and they are trying their best to avoid replacing the brakes and further, the state that the pads were simply a update and should have had no bearing on the premature wear on the rotors. Yeah, right! Audi's customer service is horrible! They obviously go above and beyond to try to avoid liability for their faulty engineering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As follow up to my previous post, attached are photos of the rotors. Keep in mind, new brakes pads and rotors were put on the Q5 at 25k miles and I just recently had new pads put on. The dealer obviously attempted t resurface the rotors last visit, as you can see by the gashes on the hub. You can also see a ridge on the outer edge of the rotor. Audi has asked me to bring the car in ONCE AGAIN for them to examine.

Attachments

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Shocking !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also having this problem! It started a little after I got the car last year, but it was intermittent, and like others before me, the dealership told me it was a "known" problem but not an official recall on it yet. I brought the car in for other minor issues and asked the dealership to look at the brakes again, and they replaced the brake pads for me.

You'd think this solved the problem, but after the first day home, it started to sqeak again, only this time WORSE than before. I don't know what happened, maybe brake dust or break in period? But I've never had this problem before when I've changed out brake pads an any of my cars before and I don't know why this should be acceptable now.

My car is now back at the dealership, and they are contacting Audi to see what other fixes they can implement, but I am really hopeful that they find a solution so I don't have the loud squeals each time I roll to a stop at lower speeds.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts