Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Q5 sline 2.0
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up the new-to-me 2012 Sline last week (2.0 with 73,000 kms) First impressions are that it is a fantastic little car except for one glitch…..sometimes it won’t start. The seller (a garage) says he has the parts coming in to fix it (something electronic on top of the fuel pump?). The seller was very embarrassed, had the car towed back to his shop to work on it at his cost, so I’m not too put off. But, does anyone know if this is a common problem that I need to keep spares in for? Seller gave me a 3 month warranty on the electrics and even offered to buy the car back if I wasn’t happy, so I’m sure he will get this annoying glitch fixed.

·
Registered
2012 Q5 sline 2.0
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very intermittent - always the most difficult to figure out. 90% of the time there are no problems, but sometimes when trying to start it just wont - either runs for 5 seconds and dies, or just wont fire up at all. My past experience tells me it is either lack of fuel or lack of spark. However, the garage has messed with the fuel controller (as I will call it for this discussion) and replaced it (although they did not replace the associated wiring) and the engine fires up and runs perfectly. Not starting cannot be predicted - I drove it 30 miles a couple of days ago, put it away, and it would not start the next morning. Lots of cranking amps, but the battery did run down. Garage said they charged the battery and everything was fine. So, the question is - is there some sort of short in the wiring that causes an occasional problem? Diagnostics seem to indicate a fuel delivery problem, but I’m not inclined to totally trust that.

·
Still Game
5,039 Posts
If you have lots of cranking then obviously charging system is good.
Is it petrol? I would be inclined to remove a plug lead and check the spark or lack of.
If diesel, lift bonnet after cranking can you smell fuel?

·
Registered
2012 Q5 sline 2.0
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My apologies, yes, a petrol engine. There is no smell of fuel under the hood or at the exhaust tips when cranking, I do suspect fuel delivery. While I know the basics, this is my first Audi so I have no idea how the electronics talk to each other. If it happens again I’ll pull an injector to see what is going on.

·
Still Game
5,039 Posts
Sounds like a fuel delivery issue, could be something as simple as replace the filter. You would expect any competent mechanic would be able to spot that, but ....

·
Registered
2012 Q5 sline 2.0
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like the problem was in the wiring harness that plugs into the assembly on top of the fuel tank. Intermittent short, no start. Short cleared, no problem. Fun and games, but seems to be OK now. On another note, this is a great car, comfortable, reasonably quick and smooth - as soon as I get used to the turbo!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts