Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here are the answers which I found...and I'm now happily towing my new trailer...

1. There is NO brake controller on a factory installed tow package. A brake controller IS needed if your trailer has electric or hydraulic over electric brakes.
2. It IS wired for an after market brake controller. There is a wiring harness going from the trailer plug in the rear to a female plug behind the dash in the driver's cockpit (which is where you will set up your brake controller).
3. I bought a Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller cuz my trailer has electric brakes. Cost $115 US.
4. I did not buy the Tekonsha Prodigy 2 or P3 cuz those brake controllers are for hydraulic over electric brakes as well as electric brakes (a few $ more but you can find deals on ebay, etc, which makes the difference negligible).
5. I bought the following Audi parts...You do not have to buy these parts if you'd rather hard wire your brake controller.

1J0 972 782 - Buy 1 of these (Adapter) Cost $6 US
000 979 228 - Buy 1 pack of 5 wires Cost $57 US

Reference following thread...
http://forums.audiwo...d.php?t=2802089

6. Attached is the wiring photo for the female plug behind the dash...
7. There are 4 fasteners to get to the wiring harness behind the dash. 2 at the driver's knees. 1 within the fuse panel. And the last is above the steering wheel. To get to the 4th one...You have to pull off the small panel right above the steering wheel. Be sure to lower the steering wheel all the way and pull it toward you.

Here is a video I made...

Refer to this thread for more details on the wiring...
http://www.ozaudi.co...9202#post279202

I discovered a small wire which I couldn't disconnect from the light switch preventing me from removing the panel...so I brought the Q5 to the dealer and had them remove the dash and to cut and expose the wiring harness. Cost me $125 US...price didn't bother me cuz if I broke something else it would have cost me much more.

8. I assembled the adapter with the wires which I purchased from Audi...and for the Tekonsha Primus IQ (check your wiring instructions)
Refer to the attached photo...

The Audi female plug has the following wires:

Brown
Red/White
Black/Red
Blue

Tekonsha brake controller has the following wires:

Black
White
Red
Blue

Audi -> Tekonsha

Red/White -> Black
Brown -> White
Black/Red -> Red
Blue -> Blue

I used Anderson power poles as connectors but you can use anything (i.e. soldering or butt connectors recommended by Tekonsha)
In the photo, the yellow wires are the purchased Audi parts with the correct crimped ends for the adapter.
I cut off one side of these wires to connect them to the Tekonsha wires.

9. I bought a Tekonsha emulator to simulate a trailer being hooked up. It was either broken or didn't work with the Audi so I am returning it.
10. No programming/coding was needed for my factory installed tow package.
11. And yes, hooking up the trailer, the computer screen shows a silhouette of the trailer when backing up.

Here is my previous thread of questions...
http://www.myaudiq5....kage-questions/

I bought a 7X12 Stealth Enclosed Trailer. The trailer dealer set me up with a ball and ball mount.
It tows well...and I'm very happy with this set up.

Hope this helps...

Bob I.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With an 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T, when towing a trailer approx 2500 lbs empty, I got a little over 20 mpg. I also found that not going above 65 mph up and down hills was comfortable when listening to the engine...which had higher revs on the tachometer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey Bob, congratulations on getting it all working and thanks for the great write up it will make for good future reference.

Speaking of fuel consumption, I returned home from Christmas holidays yesterday from a spot on The Great Ocean Road - minor hills and lots of twists followed by country roads and freeways. I had a roof box on the Q5 and when I reached home and turned into the driveway, the trip computer showed 6.8 lt/100km = 34.6 US mpg = 41.5 mpg

OK, I'll admit I had a decent tail wind but still I'm very impressed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice trailer - what do you use it for?
Radio Control Airplanes...starting to get into Giant Scale which is above an 80 inch wingspan...

The following link is a sound system test for a B-17 Bomber which I should have ready for spring...
it will have a 10 ft wing span (a little over 3 meters). Electric motors with a sound system with authentic B-17 engine sounds which are a bit above 95 decibels.

And a 80" Stuka sound test

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just installed a Tekonsha P3 brake controller on my 2010 Q5. Bob's post was a great help to me.

I never did have the <courage> to pull the dash panel loose at the top after removing the four bolts. But, I was able to get it pulled loose at the bottom enough to provide adequate access and easily complete the connection to the factory wiring.

I a posting a picture that might help someone else. The picture is taken from the driver's side (left) looking into the space behind the fuse panel cover. The dash panel has been pulled down and "out" (towards the driver's seat) about two to three inches. The gray foam has been pulled back from around the factory connector.

I found the factory connector with its four conductors wrapped with a couple of turns of black-cloth wiring harness tape and attached to the top of the fuse block wiring (where the small red arrow points in the center of the photo). In the photo, the factory connector has been pulled free and out in front of the sheet metal; you can see welds just left of the arrow. But, it was originally behind the sheet metal, wrapped to the harness behind.

So, if this is a "standard" arrangement, opening the fuse panel cover might help someone to assess the location of the factory connector and scope the job. As the foam covered the connector, and the wire was wrapped to the other wires with the black wiring tape, I don't think I could have found it with a mirror from underneath as some people have noted. In fact, I actually tried, and failed.

The connector with the yellow wires at the lower left is the one I bought from Bob's parts list. I only bought two of the yellow wires as each wire comes with two connectors which are the same on both ends. I just cut the wires in half and then connected them to the brake controller wiring as per Bob's color code. (OK, I will admit that I verified this with a multi-meter and other sources too; but hey, it was correct as shown above!)

There has been some mention (in another forum post?) that two wires might need to be connected in the wiring area located in the right-rear of the luggage compartment. I was initially unclear how to open that panel, so delicately pried at it with a 3-inch wide putty knife at the top. It turns out there is a generous handhold if you just reach up under the top pull. In any event, the two wires back there were already connected in mine. They are easy to spot because one is a heavy gauge blue one.

By the way, I had a dealership install the hitch receiver kit (8R00092115). After reading about people setting up the electronics through Vag-com and then needing the dear to make some of the settings ""permanent", and some problems others had with an after-market vendor wiring the 7-pin, I realized that sort of work is more than I was prepared to deal with at this time.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well folks, I'm leaving the Q5 family. If anyone has questions about towing with a Q5, send me a PM and I'll see if I can offer anything that might be helpful.

We recently ordered a larger trailer which requires a larger tow vehicle. Naturally, I was quite excited as I anticipated going with a Q7 because owning the Q5 for two years has been such a pleasure.

Then, I learned that the Q7's are not provided with spare tires. This concerned me greatly as we expect to spend some of our time in relatively remote locales.

I also had the distinct displeasure of nursing my way through a remote area with the Q5's limited-service collapsible spare, on a two-lane highway populated with many large trucks and RV's that really didn't want to run anything like 50 mph... It wasn't fun.

In the end, we went with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a full-service spare tire. While it's a nice vehicle, and I won't speak ill of it, I certainly do appreciate what a pleasure it was to own the Q5. (Crappy spare notwithstanding!)

One consolation is that Momma is about to replace her '03 Passat. Did I hear that we might be Q3 or AllRoad or A4 owners soon?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very grateful to have found this thread and the input provided. We purchased our camper in May and the RV dealership provided Tekonsha's RF controller with the caveat that pairing it with our Q5 was challenging and iterative. We have the factory towing package installed and I foolishly assumed that it included a brake controller. The RV dealer was afraid to cut into the vehicle's wiring and thought the RF controller was the best route.

It worked fine for our first two trips, but refused to pair beginning in June. I could paint it fine with my neighbor's Grand Cherokee, but it was not reliable thereafter. Finally found this thread and purchased a P2 and the wiring bits noted above from an Audi dealer-BTW Audi really, really likes these wires and is not ashamed to demand a premium for them. I found the plug behind the lower dash exactly where it should be. If you are concerned about removing the lower dash, it is fairly easy and there is a clip near the headlamp switch which can be removed with a trim removal tool and bit of patience. Don't be afraid. I only mention this as I have not seen any discussion about it-maybe mine was just a bit stubborn.

It was nice to connect the controller last night and have everything connect as it should.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had offered to answer questions if anyone sent me a PM. It turns out that I have not received notifications of PMs. I believe this is because Hotmail has a spam filter which has deleted a lot of emails over the years.

Going forward, I have changed my email address to gmail, which might help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts