Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Q5 seems to have developed a progressive issue recently, since I used it to tow, and also when it was remapped.

Currently when operating the steering, it goes between stiff and normal, when turning the wheel and also when returning to the central position. It's actually quite scary to drive just now, so I've booked it into the local Audi dealership for them to service the car and investigate this issue.

Has anyone seen or experienced anything similar, and how can I tell what type of steering is fitted to my car, as I believe it changed sometime during 2009\10.

Cheers
Grant

·
Registered
963 Posts
Sorry not had that one. Any update?

·
Registered
138 Posts
The car was trailered on a flatbed today from my home to the dealership (Glasgow Audi). The car was booked in for a service today anyway, so at least there is some time allocated to look at it.

They have advised me that the intermediate shaft on the steering has failed, and needs to be replaced, so will get it back in a few days when the part comes in and gets fitted.

As the car has a FDSH, and was booked in for a service today, the repair costs are being covered by Audi under goodwill, as it's out of warranty.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hi Grant,

I'm glad Audi stepped up and paid for the part, as that sounds very expensive! Fingers crossed that it's all sorted for you now

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Grant,

I'm glad Audi stepped up and paid for the part, as that sounds very expensive! Fingers crossed that it's all sorted for you now
Thanks Rog, I'll get it back tomorrow and check it out, but yes it sounds good.

The part alone was just under £330, and I don't know what the cost of labour would be on top of that to replace it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2010 suffers with heavy steering when slowing down and turning. The dealers said there was a steering shaft update which they did. It seemed better for a while but it's back. I just put more effort into it, they say its the 20 rims. Please !

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2010 sline still suffers with heavy steering when slowing down and turning from a main rd onto a side rd, two hand req sometimes.

I've got used to it now. When setting of the steering is like I'd want it to be, anything over 15/20 mph and it changes. Yeah I know it's something to do with the steering set up, but mine is a no option steering set up.

Phill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts