Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Ive put a deposit down on a really nice 2009 Q5 from the main dealer. I got a half-decent deal on it and its being transferred to my local dealer from one that is about 200 miles away.

I was reading about the maps and 7 digit postcode situation and have asked that they ensure the maps have been updated. They are pushing back on this now and saying that it would come at a cost of £275. The system *may* already be updated, they wont know until the car comes in.

Im paying a lot of money for the car and feel like they should at least sort this out - i should have negotiated this from the start but it only came to mind after id paid the deposit and put the wheels in motion for the car to be moved to London.

Any thoughts on this? Should i dig my heels in and insist they sort the maps or otherwise leave the car? I feel a bit bad as they are moving the vehicle so far from another branch. Am i within my rights to pull out of the deal if they dont sort it?

Any advice gratefully accepted!

Beekay

·
Registered
529 Posts
That a difficult one. Of course you want the latest features but on the other hand the car is 3 years old which you agreed to. That said its a dvd map (i believe) so if the map for your system has been updated then the dealer can supply the dvd for little cost to them, certainly not £275 anyway!

You would certainly loose your deposit if you reject the car for that issue alone, so thats not an option.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Wilf. I feel like i owe you a bottle of something for all the help you've given me.

Thank-you again!

Should have checked it before i bought it. Hopefully it has the latest maps.

I think that the maps were updated in 2011 so will ask for the DVD.

Thanks dude
Beekay

·
Registered
596 Posts
That a difficult one. Of course you want the latest features but on the other hand the car is 3 years old which you agreed to. That said its a dvd map (i believe) so if the map for your system has been updated then the dealer can supply the dvd for little cost to them, certainly not £275 anyway!

You would certainly loose your deposit if you reject the car for that issue alone, so thats not an option.
I might well be wrong but am reasonably certain that my 09 plate was a hard drive rather than DVD based mapping system. Whichever it was, I know that I paid £160 + VAT for a Europe-wide map upgrade / renewal in Jan 2013.
Reason? The new motorway section + all new exits around Rheims in France always sent the car into muppetry mode.
With Nav Woman + wife both screaming at me, I decided the (still expensive) cost was something I was willing to bear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup - it should be HDD based.

I cant believe that they dont just update the maps for free. I guess they are on thin margins elsewhere but still.

Thanks guys - appreciate the advice and still look fwd to joining the Q5 club come saturday.

Beekay

·
Registered
529 Posts
I thought DVD went to HD in 2010 so sorry for incorrect info! but like Barbyboy says, a remap is nothing to Audi other a little pain.
Audi are renowned for making the customer bleed money but getting them to provide anything for free or goodwill is almost unheard of.

Stick to your guns and insist they update the map. Is it your first Audi?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup. This is my first one. I'm hoping they will do it and it sounds like I cannot walk away from the deal if they don't

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
You need to confirm the Nav version, unless it's Nav high I don't believe it's possible to upgrade.
You can tell the version via the nipple on the controller.

At the end of the day, the post code bit is not really an issue, part gets you close enough to select the street name.
Just saying...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yup. This is my first one. I'm hoping they will do it and it sounds like I cannot walk away from the deal if they don't
Snowman is usually your guy for the definitive answers to this sort of question.

However i ask if its your first one because i would say to the dealer 'this is not the best start to ownership of my first Audi'
Maybe that will strike a cord as they say?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Snowman - yup - its got the nipple!

@Wilf - yup - its my first one. Already getting marketing emails from Audi. Might try and drop that one. The sales guy seems like a good bloke. I havent even seen the car yet - i literally rang up and bought it over the phone as it hit all the specs/colour things that i wanted.

·
Registered
529 Posts
@Snowman - yup - its got the nipple!

@Wilf - yup - its my first one. Already getting marketing emails from Audi. Might try and drop that one. The sales guy seems like a good bloke. I havent even seen the car yet - i literally rang up and bought it over the phone as it hit all the specs/colour things that i wanted.
Well i hope it all works out for you and enjoy the car

·
Registered
138 Posts
Unless you started writing the post in 2012, a 2009 car is 5 years old, not 3 years

I was under the impression the map upgrade cost ~£400, and it came on an SD card, and required activation via the link to AG.

Enjoy the car when it comes

·
Registered
17 Posts
On a 2009 Q5 with 3G mmi high u can up date the maps to the current 2014 map at the cost of £200, plus u then need a dealer to activate it. However this will still on allow u to enter 5 digits from the post code. I even asked if I changed all the hardware to a new version would it enable the 7 digit post code entry. I was told it's not possible.

Sorry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went to pick up the car today. One of the panels was a different colour. Blatently been resprayed after a knock (bit not through insurance).

The team at the dealership were really good.

I'm totally gutted as that spec is super hard to find - especially in Daytona grey.

They are going to respray the panel and give me an option on it (if I don't like it then i can get the deposit back).

Wasted 50 mile trip though and after the respray they aren't keen to negotiate further on the price.

I might see if they are willing to chuck a few bits in and maybe sort the maps.

Ugh.

Thank you for all the help guys.

·
Registered
768 Posts
That's awful! I hope the paint job turns out ok for you (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
529 Posts
Wasted 50 mile trip though and after the respray they aren't keen to negotiate further on the price.

Thats bad, they should have at least warned you so you can decide if its worth going to see the car before its put into a condition thats acceptable to you. Im sure you would still have gone even knowing you wouldn't be taking it home.

Audi should have no probs getting it looking right for you and that map update should be a cert now

Good luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
Good luck with it, hopefully the paint job will sort that side and they will come good on the maps

·
Registered
814 Posts
Went to pick up the car today. One of the panels was a different colour. Blatently been resprayed after a knock (bit not through insurance).

The team at the dealership were really good.

I'm totally gutted as that spec is super hard to find - especially in Daytona grey.

They are going to respray the panel and give me an option on it (if I don't like it then i can get the deposit back).

Ugh.

Thank you for all the help guys.
I was going to say I thought you brave putting down deposit unseen.
I travelled 60 miles to Leeds, to test drive an 'immaculate' low mileage, 3 month old demonstrator model, an S-Line Plus.
The rear wheel arch was a right mess, and the salesman acted like he'd just noticed it.
Glad it all happened that way though, as I returned home and negotiated a brand new model for slightly les £££'s.
If not for the wheel arch, I would have bought the 2nd car

·
Banned
842 Posts
I can beat that with Leeds - they sold a car I paid a deposit on!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts