Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have these or driven with them? Any thoughts as to whether they would be any different to ride on compared to any other 20" wheels?

My spec has to be finalised soon and whilst I'm leaning toward the S Line for the 19" rims for "better" comfort, the extras I'm speccing means the Plus actually comes out £100 cheaper! Only trouble is I can't stand the standard 20" rims (sorry!) and so it would have to be these as they're a no cost option on the Plus

Not had the chance to test drive on 20's though and I'd hate to spend that much money only to find the ride too harsh. Also, not got any extra wonger left for Drive Select which might help justify the move up to 20's

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
One 20" will be no more or less comfortable ride than any other 20" wheel.

I would happily swop my 19" or 17" for 20".

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Missle, confirms what I thought.

Do you have the MY13 with "updated" suspension?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Missle,

I have a 9 month old kid so wary of adding anything that feels the potholes too much especially given the reputation Q5 has for a "harsh" ride!
Might have to try and find a S Line Plus to test drive on the 20"s

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
I do not find my Q5 as harsh as other cars I considered, e.g. BMW X3.

I would suggest you avoid the sports suspension.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would agree you should take a drive
When we bought our current Q5 in 2009 i found the 20" too restless and the standard 19" much more comfortable - but of course both cars had S line suspension which is now an option.

·
Registered
433 Posts
DSC01336.JPG

I run the 20's on the full S-line suspension and have no issues, I just avoid the holes and bad surfaces as any other driver, on the super slab the car runs great. I have the 17"winter package on and the Q wanders all over the road but are quiter than the 20's

Attachments

·
Banned
842 Posts
No problems with the 20's here either perfect balance for me between performance / style and comfort.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all!

As people suggest I guess it's all down to personal preference so I'm going to try and get a test drive sorted.

Dieseldoug.....great car!! If I do go for the 20s that exactly how mines going to look.....missus thinks it a bit "bling" though!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
They are nice cars when clean, I think Audi kind of stands out from the rest anyway, the 20's make the difference, they feel right at home.

·
Registered
433 Posts
GregH,
Thats a nice colour, they dont stay clean for long, but the wheels set them off. I also run the 17 inch winter wheel package from Audi the 20 inch winter tyre deal was just too much in cost but there is a drastic change in the looks with the smaller wheels, cant wait until the winter is past and get the 20's back on.

Reactions: 44roby44

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GregH.....thats VERY true and one reason why I'm currently swaying toward the standard 5 spoke 19"

I'm obviously getting old when the time spent washing wheels is more important to me than how the cars looks overall!! Ah, the joys of being middle aged with wife and baby!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only thing that puts me off the 5 spoke 19"s is that it will cost me more than getting the sline plus with 20s.....shame you can't spec 19s with the sline plus but then as I'll be owning the car for 4-5 years I hope the price difference between the two will be negligible come trade in

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
One point my salesman made:

Even if you spec an S Line to match the Plus it will still be worth less when you come to trade.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's exactly my point Missle but I reckon in 4 years time the 2.5k difference between the slime and plus will be more like 1.5k. Add in the fact I'll have hdd sat nav, metallic and privacy as options and that difference might be more like 500-1k.

Two lots of 20" tyres (8 tyres) over 50k miles will set me back an extra £400 over the 19s and therefore the max difference is around £500 come trade in. If that means me getting a (ever so slightly) more comfortable ride and the wheels we like then I think that's a fair price to pay.....at least that's how I'm justifying it to myself!

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
That makes perfect sense, buy whatever you feel is right for you. Whichever model you choose you will not be disappointed.

I was thinking same as with the options I wanted S Line was almost same price as Plus. I had a chat with my friendly dealer. He had no axe to grind, then I had a test drive in a Q5 shod with 20" on my favourite test road and could feel no discernable difference to ride in my own car which is an S Line shod with 19" 5 spokes.

For me it is now a bit academic, as I have cancelled my Q5 S Line Plus order in favour of the mean machine, an SQ5.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers Missle, unfortunately I cant convince hwmbo thats the 20s aren't too "bling" and to add to my woes I've only just noticed that the wheels I REALLY like (19x8 "5 arm" PRL) are only available on the SE!!!!

Why is it that the SE has 3 choices of 19" hubs and the S line only has 1....the standard!?? Anyonw know if the can be retrofitted onto the S line or is there some difference is suspension/axle that means the S line can only ever wear the one type of 19" wheel? Might give Audi UK a call in the morning and ask the question!

My head hurts!

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
You can fit any model Q5 wheels onto the S Line.

It would be expensive to buy those wheels and retrofit. I guess you could sell the standard wheels on fleeBay. Maybe you will find someone who will swop. A good dealer, might be prepared to swop with wheels from his demonstrator or a second hand vehicle.

You could spec up an SE to near S Line or S Line plus spec. You could even buy the badges if you want to impress the neighbours.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts