Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I can see lots of debate about oil burners but not petrol.

I have a 2.0TFSI S Line 211 bhp and struggle to average more than 25mpg. I wonder what others achieve?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting, I am going to go have a look at a 2.0TFSI 211 quattro tomorrow under the impresion i will be able to achieve a combined consumption of around 34mpg (GB imperial not usa).

What sort of driving do you do, if its soley in town start stop without and journeys above 50mph motorway etc in a tank refill, 25mpg sounds the right ball park

Furion

·
Registered
249 Posts
Interesting, I am going to go have a look at a 2.0TFSI 211 quattro tomorrow under the impresion i will be able to achieve a combined consumption of around 34mpg (GB imperial not usa).

What sort of driving do you do, if its soley in town start stop without and journeys above 50mph motorway etc in a tank refill, 25mpg sounds the right ball park

Furion
No way will you get 34mpg, a mate of mine has the 211bhp Q5 auto and he gets about 400 miles out of a tank so thats about 26 mpg.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I agree with this, my average on the frugal 2.0tdi 143 manual is 38mpg. I had the 2.0T 211 engine in my A5 and it had an average of 27mpg after 20,000 miles, I prefer petrol to diesel but not with the way the 2.0T consumes fuel. You're far better off with the diesels unless your doing less than 6k miles a year.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The petrol may be quicker and quieter and petrol is cheaper than diesel at the pump but from my TDi 170 manual I get 550 miles between refills without even trying and over 600 with a light right foot. The diesel is a no brainer IMO.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just looking at OTR price (s-line plus) of the 211hp Petrol and 170hp diesel difference 280 pounds benefit for diesel
Road tax, petrol 245 per year, diesel 165 per year, 80 pounds benefit for diesel
urban mileage petrol 452 miles to 75 litres 27.4 mpg 107.92 pounds to fill tank
urban milage for diesel 638 miles to 75 litres 38.7 mpg, 111.67 pounds to fill the tank, 4 pounds more expensive. benefit so far 280+80-4=356 pounds better off with diesel
Then if the petrol car does 452 miles to the tank, the diesel car for the 452 miles uses 11.7 gallon saving of 32.31 pounds against the full tank of petrol.
so if you drive 10K in the petrol car @452 miles to the tank (22 fills)cost is 2354 pounds
the same distance covered 10K in the diesel using 638 miles to the tank (15.6 fills) cost is 1742 pounds.

so 612 pounds saved on the fuel for 10K miles,
Total sum of money saved buying the diesel 2 litre for 10K miles is 972 pounds. This figures were used from the Audi urban mpg and tank size
Someone may want to work out the service costs between them both, again this will be down to driving habits

·
Registered
90 Posts
No way will you get 34mpg, a mate of mine has the 211bhp Q5 auto and he gets about 400 miles out of a tank so thats about 26 mpg.
I agree. I've done 12,000 miles in mine (211bhp S-Tronic) and the average since new is 26.1mpg with usage that covers the whole range.
Local driving will achieve between 21-24 whilst the most I can achieve on a long run when really trying has been 33mpg.
Normal m'way driving (keeping up with traffic at 75-80mph) I will get about 30mpg at the most.

The 12,000 mile average is calculated from the mileage records I keep for claiming my business petrol expenses so is pretty accurate.
The car reading for the 12,000 miles is 26.5mpg so slightly higher.

90% of my driving is in normal auto drive mode with the occasional bout of manual/sport mode.

As Bigmac says, there is no way you can achieve 34mpg combined.

If anyone is looking to achieve that sort of mpg from a petrol engine they should not be looking at a heavy 4WD vehicle.
It doesn't bother me because I bought it for the performance and fun of the 211bhp with S-Tronic, paddle shift, sport mode etc and it certainly ticks those boxes.

You also have to bear in mind the oil consumption. I have put in 9 litres of oil over the 12,000 miles!

Saying all that I still love the car and enjoy every minute in it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just looking at OTR price (s-line plus) of the 211hp Petrol and 170hp diesel difference 280 pounds benefit for diesel
Road tax, petrol 245 per year, diesel 165 per year, 80 pounds benefit for diesel
urban mileage petrol 452 miles to 75 litres 27.4 mpg 107.92 pounds to fill tank
urban milage for diesel 638 miles to 75 litres 38.7 mpg, 111.67 pounds to fill the tank, 4 pounds more expensive. benefit so far 280+80-4=356 pounds better off with diesel
Then if the petrol car does 452 miles to the tank, the diesel car for the 452 miles uses 11.7 gallon saving of 32.31 pounds against the full tank of petrol.
so if you drive 10K in the petrol car @452 miles to the tank (22 fills)cost is 2354 pounds
the same distance covered 10K in the diesel using 638 miles to the tank (15.6 fills) cost is 1742 pounds.

so 612 pounds saved on the fuel for 10K miles,
Total sum of money saved buying the diesel 2 litre for 10K miles is 972 pounds. This figures were used from the Audi urban mpg and tank size
Someone may want to work out the service costs between them both, again this will be down to driving habits
Nice stats.

. Diesels have the DPF which as they say needs a regeneration run once a while. I guess diesels need at least 5 k miles to run in so that the fuel consumption reaches the stated figures. Does a petrol engine need that long to run in? Don't the petrol engines get about 25 mpg+ right from the start and don't need to worry about doing regular short runs?

·
Registered
578 Posts
The above is true although I was amazed at how quick the DPF light went out - only seen it once following 2 weeks of short trips and it went out within 7 miles.

All engines need to run in and will get better fuel economy after 10k miles or so. The manual says to go easy on a petrol engine for the first 1500 miles however a diesel doesn't really need breaking in as much.

Diesels need a new DPF at 95 k miles, looking on the web this is a £400-£500 cost that you wouldn't get on a petrol.

I have owned many 3.0 cars but this time around I was worried about rising fuel prices and potentially having to travel further to get work in challenging economic circumstances. I think we will be back in a recession by the end of the year and I wanted to hedge my bets a little.

Also consider depreciation, I would wager much better residuals on the diesel models

·
Registered
249 Posts
You also have to bear in mind the oil consumption. I have put in 9 litres of oil over the 12,000 miles!
9 litres!!! That's loads, there must be a lot of people driving round in Q5's who never check the oil level and are way down on oil. My diesel has done 10500 miles since it was new last September and the electronic dip stick is still showing full. I ran mine in using Honest John's advice.

·
Registered
249 Posts
9 litres!!! That's loads, there must be a lot of people driving round in Q5's who never check and are way down on oil. My diesel has done 10500 miles since it was new last September and the electronic dip stick is still showing full. I ran mine in using Honest John's advice.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Really? I only put 1 litre in my 170 diesel over 19,000 miles (only as a precaution just before trip to south of France) and never went below 70% on the MMI.

I suppose the diesel cycle relies on compression rather than a spark plug, so must have tighter piston/bores, hence less burning of oil?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I can confirm this, I was constantly putting oil into my 2.0T petrol A5. Probably 1 litre every 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I put max 1 litre per 10k miles in the diesel Q5.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have at the moment a Kia Sorento with a dip stick it has 62000 on the clock, I have never had to put in a drop of oil between 10000 mile services, I was told by a friend who is a race engineer & others over the years who would know, that if a diesel uses oil there is a problem. I hope that when my Q5 SE arrives next month the same is true.

I will also follow Honest Johns advice If only because after 47 years of driving I feel happier "running" an engine in.

·
Registered
578 Posts
From my experience a diesel engine will burn oil whilst wearing in I.e in the first 10k but should burn much diesel after that until it approaches end of life at say 150k to 250k miles.

We also have a Mercedes ML, that takes nearly 10 litres of oil when you service it but after 89k it still doesn't burn any oil and we never have to top it off.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes Kramer. I agree. I have always been weary of the DPF coming on since I do more short trips than motor way runs. I am yet to see the light come on in the first 1200 miles with just two real long runs. I am hoping that it will carry on.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You'll be fine, Audi seems to have considerably tweaked the DPF so that it doesn't come on all the time like it did with my A4 in 2006.

A diesel should be given a good run every month as a minimum to get it up to temperature and blow out all the soot etc therefore I'd recommend a 30 mile run at 50mph+ which is fairly constant. If you're not doing this I'd trade the car at the end of the warranty.

It makes me laugh when family members buy 3 year old diesels and say " wow, it's only got 6000 miles on the clock, it's like new" and I think yeah it's full of soot and deposits and you'd be better off with one with 40k on the clock which is thousands of pounds cheaper!

·
Registered
249 Posts
You'll be fine, Audi seems to have considerably tweaked the DPF so that it doesn't come on all the time like it did with my A4 in 2006.

A diesel should be given a good run every month as a minimum to get it up to temperature and blow out all the soot etc therefore I'd recommend a 30 mile run at 50mph+ which is fairly constant. If you're not doing this I'd trade the car at the end of the warranty.

It makes me laugh when family members buy 3 year old diesels and say " wow, it's only got 6000 miles on the clock, it's like new" and I think yeah it's full of soot and deposits and you'd be better off with one with 40k on the clock which is thousands of pounds cheaper!
Totally agree with this, every car I've ever had has been a diesel plus we have site vehicles (on a caravan park) which never get out of second gear and do very low mileage. The site vehicles often give us problems whilst the road vehicles which get to 100k miles + rarely cause us problems. Drive your diesels as they should be driven don't dawdle, push the revs to the limiter at least a couple of times a week and give them a good blast on the motorway or dual carriageway as often as you can. If your doing very low miles or drive very cautiously get a petrol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts