Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

After a little advice from all of you. Looking to get a Q5 as a replacement car.

Few questions though that I have which I hope you can help me with.

What is the 2.0 TDI engine like coupled with the S-Tronic box?
Are delivery times crazy ridiculous if ordering new?

Have heard of a new Sline plus model at local dealership, decent spec etc but they did say very little to any discount on the car as so difficult to get hold of (I only asked what the OTR price was) - are decen discounts achievable on the Q5 currently?

Is there any must have spec that you'd recommend having te Q?

Any help / advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Delivery times are currently unbearable however being someone who is currently waiting for one I am told that it is well worth the wait!
There a big discounts available on Q5s when ordering new, quite a few have mentioned on here drivethedeal.com and carwow.co.uk if this helps?

Reactions: Nemo

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Q5 is a popular car and a very good one to boot! The Q5 is only built in Ingolstadt for the entire world and therefore are in limited supply. This is to a bad thing as it keeps the residuals high.
The S-line plus is well worth waiting for due to the extra spec you get.
I went for heated front and rear seats and the pano roof as I'm very happy with the rest of the spec.
You will get some discount but don't expect massive amounts, dealers can sell pretty much every one they can get hold of.

·
Registered
120 Posts
....and as far as I'm concerned the s tronic gearbox seems pretty good. Early days for me, I've only done 900 miles but in auto it certainly seems to respond well enough whenever i increase/decrease throttle pressure. Perhaps a touch over-protective for the first 500 miles but helped stay below 2k revs so no issue. She's just beginning to loosen up (imo), insisting on driver interaction by demanding the occasional manual shift up a hill or an overtake on the A roads, on the motorway staying in cruise/auto is fine.

Perhaps an unfair comparison, so far a better gear box than the 8spd fitted on the Q7, which always found it difficult to recognise changes in pedal pressure and would almost immediately head for 8th. I always drove the Q7 in manual. A fine car, mind you...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The Q5 has always had good residuals but they have improved in recent months due to the extended delivery times. Expect the residuals to drop slightly if the lead time reduces back to a more normal three months.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
i didn't see that trend, thats for sure.
Over the last 2 months the resale has fallen a lot quicker than previous months.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The numbers I did 12 months ago then again two weeks ago show an s-line plus being £2k better at 12 months old.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Nemo,

I've got the Q5 S-Line Plus (see spec in my signature), and after 16000 miles in just over 7 months, I can honestly say it's a decision I don't regret.

I do a mix of town and motorway driving (probably 30% town, 70% motorway) and I now would not go back to a manual car after having the S-tronic.

Don't be too put off by the long wait for a factory order - the best things come to those who wait!

J

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
The numbers I did 12 months ago then again two weeks ago show an s-line plus being £2k better at 12 months old.
I can only base it on actuals ie when you sell.
the guides are pointless.

to quote Audi "the guides are just that, they dont buy cars - ring them up and ask them to pay what is quoted in the book and see what they say" if you want a real number, use webuy, the prices are based on Auction values of that car/model over the last two weeks and its a guarantee to buy price. Anything else is wishful thinking. A car is only worth what someone pays for it...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well I checked "webuyanycar" against the figure on the screen and it was within £200. Where are you getting your numbers from?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys a big thank you for your responses....I think as the car the dealers have in stock is not our first choice colour I'm going to hang on and spec what we want and then wait...

I know that could mean a long wait and more than likely a 14 plate but heck that's OK

I am sure ill be asking all those standard should I spec this that and the other shortly!

·
Registered
221 Posts
S -Tronic is excellent with the 2 litre TDI.

10% discount should be achievable

Don't know about current waiting times.

Options depend on your needs and preferences but the Alcantara trim is fantastic and in my humble opinion much better than full leather which i have on my other car. Hill hold assist is also very good for not much cash. Dont waste money on the underfloor storage or boot liner, It's not that great.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have just looked at the Internet brokers discounts varying between 5-7% at the moment

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thats pretty poor, when I ordered mine around October last year 10% was pretty common among forum members then.

Drive the Deal is usually a good benchmark.

PS

The Parking camera is very good once you get used to it and the folding mirror option is worthwhile

·
Banned
489 Posts
9% from Carfile. I'll find out later whether the 6 month wait I had was worth it! It's the longest I've ever waited!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Well I checked "webuyanycar" against the figure on the screen and it was within £200. Where are you getting your numbers from?
As previous, actuals and i got more than my webuy figure.
Q5 dropped £1200 from mid June to being sold on the 28th Aug.

30months, 68%, thats an actual, they are not going up.
correction -I just put the reg back into we buy and its up £5 over the previous price.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Have heard of a new Sline plus model at local dealership, decent spec etc but they did say very little to any discount on the car as so difficult to get hold of (I only asked what the OTR price was) - are decen discounts achievable on the Q5 currently?

Any help / advice appreciated.
welcome Nemo - buy yourself a copy of What Car and call their Target Price team - they will get you about 10% off the List Price (if you can ask to speak to Sam Shah)

i had a similar experience with my local dealer - they virtually laughed at me when i told them i would NOT pay List Price.

but now i am the one laughing - by being able to upgrade from S-Line to S-Line Plus with the thousands i saved.

seriously - do NOT pay List Price for any car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
S -Tronic is excellent with the 2 litre TDI.

10% discount should be achievable

Don't know about current waiting times.

Options depend on your needs and preferences but the Alcantara trim is fantastic and in my humble opinion much better than full leather which i have on my other car. Hill hold assist is also very good for not much cash. Dont waste money on the underfloor storage or boot liner, It's not that great.
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, in fact any car forum.
I've also never bought a brand new car. So sorry for any daft questions.

We are pretty set on Q5 Quattro S-line S tronic as min spec, just need to decide on engine size.
Anyway, I've seen a few comments about achieving 10% discount, are there any approaches required to getting this or is it simply a case of driving a hard bargain.
Long lead times do concern me. But perhaps this is a good thing re leverage on the dealer - or doesn't
It work like that?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, in fact any car forum.
I've also never bought a brand new car. So sorry for any daft questions.

We are pretty set on Q5 Quattro S-line S tronic as min spec, just need to decide on engine size.
Anyway, I've seen a few comments about achieving 10% discount, are there any approaches required to getting this or is it simply a case of driving a hard bargain.
Long lead times do concern me. But perhaps this is a good thing re leverage on the dealer - or doesn't
It work like that?
Welcome!

Driving a hard bargain will get you 6-7% direct from a dealer (but that will be hard work!). If you want to get 8-10% then you have to go through an online broker - don't be scared!
It's zero effort (as you are not doing the bargaining!) and aside from them brokering the deal and introducing you to the dealer that they selected, from then on its all direct communication with the dealer as if you had ordered from them anyway.

There are a few threads on here that mention online brokers people have used and experiences/recommendations.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts