Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From day one of ownership I've felt my Q5 consumed too much oil, roughly 1litre/1000miles. Last year Audi replaced a valve (don't know any more than that) and things significantly improved. Anyway long story short and consumption was 1litre/800miles approx. Audi have now completed a two part oil consumption test and agree there is a problem. The next stage is to replace the pistons and con rods. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems like a significant 'repair'.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Alot of people in Australia and I probably say world wide have experience this. It is a significant repair job but that is why I avoid people to avoid VAG 2Litre Turbo engines and head over to Diesel. The problem was reportedly fixed with the MY13 models but I have heard already people coming through now that the issue of oil consumption still exists on the new petrol engines as well........

·
Registered
289 Posts
Both my Q5 and my wife's VW run the 2.0 petrol engine. Hers id a '09 model year with 211 PS and mine is the '13 MY with 225 PS. Neither engine has exhibited any trait towards excessive oil consumption. Hers is now at around 44,000 miles and hardly uses a drop. Mine is on 3500 miles and I've put in 200ml as a check to bring the level back to where it was when I first collected the car. Both are on variable service. The only precaution we took in both cases was careful running in of the motor as recommended in the handbook. My wife is in the trade and knows of no particular issue effecting VAG 2.0 petrol engines made during the last 5 years.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've read of some consuming a lot of oil, I'd count yourself lucky they are attempting to sort as many have been turned away. It's funny some drink oil like an alcaholic, others like a nun!
It's a reasonable amount of work, but for anyone with a degree of knowledge shouldn't pose an issue. I'd imagine stuff liek this goes to the higher qualified master techs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lots of people we personally know are having this problem. It seems to affect the 2.0L petrol variant from 2011 until late 2012. At which time I am told by an Audi mechanic the engine was changed.

Audi has adopted a policy of declaring a much higher acceptable oil usage for this particular engine so to be able to claim there is no fault with it and avoid an expensive and embarrassing recall. Their stated acceptable oil consumption is 0.5 litres of oil every 1,000 km or 621 miles! So basically we have been filling up with oil every second time we fill up with gas!

My wife uses this car and keeps a can of oil in the boot as it can run out at any time. So in 10,000 miles we have put in over 13 pints of oil in the engine. Audi then contacted us to say the car was due its first service and needed an oil change. We told them there was no point as the oil hardly stayed in the engine long enough!!

We have been back to Audi many times over this issue for two years now knowing that friends with the same problem have had engines fitted with new pistons and conrods to fix the fault. Audi make you do an oil consumption test which involves driving 621 miles presicely then they drain the oil and weight it to see how much it has used. On the last test we did our car was within the Audi acceptable usage by 0.1 of a litre so no new engine rebuild for us yet but it is getting constantly worse only to compound our problem the car will be out of warranty soon.

To summarise we will never buy another Audi. EVER EVER AGAIN.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Sorry to hear about your ongoing problem. Seems a little excessive to never buy another Audi though IMO.

I had a BMW 135i that ATE oil, similar amounts that you report above in fact. I told the dealer that when the oil light came on was was going to pop into them at my next earliest convenience and they can top it up, and that mighty be a few hundred miles. I told them if the engine seizes it's their problem. They were fine with this and would top it up every 6 weeks or so. I would still buy a BMW.

Interestingly on handover of my SQ5 (different engine to you I know) my dealer explained that modern engines are supposed to use a bit of oil (as it is super thin to reduce friction compared to a few years ago), and as such they offer free top ups for the life of the vehicle. Sure enough after 5000 miles the oil light came on, I came on by the dealership a few days later, and I fact the parking attendant sorted me out (he seemed to have a well rehearsed drill for the process), topped it up and gave me a litre of oil that lives in the side cubby hole in the boot for next time, save me coming in for another few months.

So on this basis, while the 2011/2012 engine maybe does use a bit more than one might like, it is reasonable to expect any modern engine to use some. And in my experience it doesn't cost me anything extra as both BMW and Audi top it up for me...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Both my Q5 and my wife's VW run the 2.0 petrol engine. Hers id a '09 model year with 211 PS and mine is the '13 MY with 225 PS. Neither engine has exhibited any trait towards excessive oil consumption. Hers is now at around 44,000 miles and hardly uses a drop. Mine is on 3500 miles and I've put in 200ml as a check to bring the level back to where it was when I first collected the car. Both are on variable service. The only precaution we took in both cases was careful running in of the motor as recommended in the handbook. My wife is in the trade and knows of no particular issue effecting VAG 2.0 petrol engines made during the last 5 years.
Similar experience here with 225PS engine. Oil has not dropped according to the electronic indicator in 3000 miles. Running in was very conservative for the first 1500 miles and progressive stretching since. Being traditional I wait until the temperature gauge has been steady for a couple of miles before using more than 2000rpm as different metals expand at different rates hence more friction and therefore wear will occur if you work an engine hard from cold even with modern synthetic low viscosity lubricants.
Unfortunately as Audi, in their infinite wisdom, do not provide a dipstick I cannot say if any oil has actually been used.
Oil consumption can vary between different cars with the same engine and VAG traditionally stated in their handbooks that consumption of up to 1 litre per 1000km (625 miles) was acceptable. I have never owned any VAG vehicle in the last 30 years that got anywhere near that but did own an 80 2.0 in 93-94 that used around 1 litre every 2-3000 miles which reduced a bit by the time it reached 10,000.
The 1.9 turbo diesels had reputation as oil burners in the early miles but I had a 130bhp Pumpe-Duse A4 Quattro that used nothing of note in over 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
seems to be a common design/issue on Audi 20T engines.
Lots of people on other forums complaining about them.
The one we had was not as bad as you state above, but still more than it should use in my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts