Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'll be changing my q5 soonish and can't see any better replacement, so pretty sure it will be another q5

I've go a 3.0tdi at the moment, but as my mileage is around 10000 pa I'm thinking the 2.0 petrol may make sense on the following basis.

1. Performance wise is close to my 3.0 (0-60 in 7.1)
2. I prefer the idea of the 8 speed auto over the stronic

I wonder if anyone on here has driven the 2.0 petrol - if so your comments would be welcome.

Many thanks mark.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
0-60 may be similar but it won't feel the same day to day as you will have to thrash it to get to the powerband whereas your current TDI has effortless low rpm torque.

You'll have to try it really as the power delivery is so different. I suspect you will enjoy test driving it as you will be happy to give it the beans and its a very impressive engine (I think it is a bit laggy but that helps MPG when not spanking it), but try and imagine a normal driving day - to you want to have to be reaching 4.5k rpm for anything useful to happen?

8 speed is a great box, super smooth, TBH I think it's very close to s-tronic in driving experience. Don't know if you'll find much difference other than on pull away clutch vs torque converter is a different feel. As its such a modern box there isn't much penalty on MPG compared to manual/s-tronic as it uses lockup clutches as well as the advantage of the extra couple of cogs of course.

I comment purely on performance as you already know about the rest of the Q5!

I don't know what your driving style is, but also consider if you like the right pedal your MPG will probably suffer in a 2.0 TFSI compared to the 3.0 TDI (again as you need to push it harder to get the performance). It's a pretty heavy car at the end of the day.

As I say, best thing is to drive one. But hopefully given you some food for thought!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had one, mine was a 211 bhp it's a pretty decent engine, acceleration is pretty good too its a good punchy engine, but man you will be putting in a lot more fuel then your current 3.0.d

Around town I was getting middle to late 20's out of mine and about 34 on steading motorway driving.

Not sure about the new higher bhp engine they use now but what ever it say's in the book regarding MPG take 8 to 10 MPG off it.

Good luck.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I had the 7 speed TFSI and it was a great vehicle. I did test the new TFSI and ordered one, changed my mind and bought the SQ5. It has the 8 speed box and IMHO, much better than the 7 speed. Economy depends very much on how you drive, but for sure you will pay more for fuel. Thinking positive it may be circa three years before your increased fuel spend equals the price difference between the 2.0TFSI and 3.0TDI. I find the Audi petrol engines are more refined than their diesel equivalents, but you will miss the effortless torque available in the 3.0 TDI.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
.... and you are very likely to have higher depreciation when you come to change it, although there are some on here who will dispute that.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I am sure you are right. The 2.0TDI is the most economical option. However, I can honestly report I got a cracking trade in for my TFSI. I was interested to see how much the dealer would sell it for and how long it would take. There was a similar spec TDI advertised for the same screen price and my TFSI sold within a week.

·
Registered
422 Posts
.... and you are very likely to have higher depreciation when you come to change it, although there are some on here who will dispute that.
Not the case for me I got better trade in as missile did better than you would for a TDI.
As Tfsi are few and far between and some people will not touch a Diesel no matter how good they are.
8 Speed is head and shoulders above 7 Speed.
Used Tfsi are £2k+ more than a comparable TDI on Audi Used Car Locator.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Used Tfsi are £2k+ more than a comparable TDI on Audi Used Car Locator.
Not sure I come to the same conclusion looking at the Used Car Locator.

I tend to change car pretty regularly and try to find out what model the garage can sell easiest to optimise the trade-in and the 2.0TDi S-Line Plus appears to be the model that they want. Just as well it fits with what I want :)

The manager told me the only ones they tend to have hanging around are the petrol ones. Maybe it's a regional thing????

·
Banned
489 Posts
I don't own this data of course and can't vouch for its accuracy, but the Car Depreciation Calculator on WhatCar shows a slightly better retention for the TDI. Prices from Year 0 to Year 4:
Audi Q5 4x4 2.0 TDI 177 q'ttro S line Plus 5dr: £37,120 £33,482 £27,803 £23,085 £20,034
Audi Q5 4x4 2.0 TFSI 225 q'tro S line Plus 5dr: £37,230 £30,279 £25,134 £20,893 £18,094

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Yep, ask the dealer for advise - they will tell you

Car details taken from trader. Both Sline plus MY12 with STronic, same colour
20T is reg no VK12 HZR 12500 miles, no previous, full service, leather, nav no pan roof £28455
TDi is reg no NX12 FYM 12500 miles, no previous, full service, leather, nav no pan roof £31930

These are actual CAP bids based on REAL cars. 3k difference for cars that cost the same when new!!!

Dont believe me - try it yourself....!
I've enclosed all the details so it will take you less than 5mins to check

All that said, if you want a petrol why not?
If you are doing it from or with an eye on resale value TDI is the direction to go.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Not sure I come to the same conclusion looking at the Used Car Locator. I tend to change car pretty regularly and try to find out what model the garage can sell easiest to optimise the trade-in and the 2.0TDi S-Line Plus appears to be the model that they want. Just as well it fits with what I want :) The manager told me the only ones they tend to have hanging around are the petrol ones. Maybe it's a regional thing????
Mine was in Bristol.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Not a regional thing, the cars are the same in every region.

Dealers may have given away money in the trade-in values for specific deals, but TDi holds it money much better.
Like i say pick any reg/model off trader and find the equivalent model/year in the other fuel and then go for either a CAP or a glasses valuation with the same mileage and its pretty clear cut.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Guides are just that Guides.
Can only go by my experience and not a Guide.
Depends if they have someone lined up who is waiting for a particular car.
And the paint was standard at the time of purchase but was made an Audi Exclusive Colour.
Vat went up so did the list price all of which added up along with long deliver times.
Also at the time there was a dealer incentive for Q5.
There may still be one for A7 we were offered 25% off last month on a private deal.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Guides are just that Guides.
Totally agree,
The numbers i provided are actual CAP BIDs, not guide prices for both models over the last few weeks with same histories/options - so its a true apples vs apples comparison.

Again, thats said, "deals" will vary dramatically same as discounts do.
All depends if they have someone lined up, or something they want to move and where each salesman/dealer is against their targets.
Sit down, do the maths and work out what you want and why.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts