Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Popped into my local French dealer today, told him my 8 month old 3.0 tdi needed a service because the service light was flashing and it had covered 15000km (10000 miles). He said my car does not need a service until 30000km?
He said to pop in on monday to reset the computer and forget about a service

Who is right?

Are UK cars set to go off at 15000km so the stealer gets some more money from you?

FYI the car is set to variable servicing

kc

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was also curious about and my dealer gave me following explanation:
- 15 000 km: just oil and filter change (requires visiting service, so thats why you got the flashing light)
- 30 000 km: regular service, with all diagnostics and fluids/filters exchange + everything more that needs to be serviced.
Hope this helps!

·
Super Moderator
1,044 Posts
ours is variable service intervals,at the moment its approx 18kmiles. The dealer set the intervals they want.

Rich

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mine is on near 7k miles and showing 11-12k to go to service - but maybe the 3.0 L is different to the 2.0 L?

·
Registered
92 Posts
The service interval is determined by the ECU in the car. It monitors the type of use the car gets, number of starts, distant travelled, average speed etc. and then gives guidance on the most appropriate service interval.

My car when new (like all models) defaulted to the short service interval and then after a couple of months moved its guidance to the long service interval (30,000Km or 19,000Miles).

My car received its first service (19,200Miles) at Worcester Audi yesterday (10 months old) ~ please to say no issues, all work carried out and the service display reset ~ incidentally the next service is now being called for in another 19,000miles.

I would be very inclined to follow the service recommendation given by the car rather than the dealer(s) ~ can?t help thinking the car is infinitely more intelligent.

Cheers,

Lee.

·
Registered
963 Posts
There are a lot of benefits from having an oil and filter change early on a new engine. So I advise that you get it done

Years ago it always used to be the case that you had an oil change done in the first 500 miles. They don't do that anymore. Though I still think it's a good thing as it means the removal of any foreign bodies as a result of running the engine in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There are a lot of benefits from having an oil and filter change early on a new engine. So I advise that you get it done

Years ago it always used to be the case that you had an oil change done in the first 500 miles. They don't do that anymore. Though I still think it's a good thing as it means the removal of any foreign bodies as a result of running the engine in.
I second that Josh.

There are lots of moving components that need to 'bed in' from new.
Even with new technology, manufacturing processes, materials and synthetic oils etc, there will be a certain amount of wear debris floating around after running in, so it is definitely worth doing an early oil and filter change.
Most modern cars now specify service intervals of up to 20k miles but I would never let a car of mine go that long without an oil and filter change even if I do it myself.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way and to a degree, I sort of agree with you, as I come from an age where this early oil change was required.

However, are you suggesting that a Company like Audi, would risk the potential warranty claims of wrecked engines by instructing owners not to bother getting a service/oil change until 20,000 miles if it really is necessary at 500 or 1,000 miles?

These Companies have pretty intensive testing/research facilities (I used to do work in the Jaguar facility) and I would imagine those guys know what they are talking about?

Not trying to be argumentative (this isn't Pistonheads!).

·
Registered
963 Posts
No not suggesting that.....

But if the ecu says you need a mini service.....which is an oil and filter change. Then I think it is wrong for any Audi Dealer to say you don't need it, just pop in and get the computer reset.

Wouldn't that in itself breach the Warranty and may lead to problems in the future if you had a claim
I bet that Dealer would take a step back from that decision, if it back fired pdq.

So I think KC should get the service done.

Anyone can have an oil service done earlier than that if they wish and I still think even with modern engines there are benefits from doing so. But you don't need to.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Oh, of course - I re-read and see the OP's service light went off at 10,000 miles not 1,000 - then I would want it serviced.

Note, KCSUN has a GT3, so is probably a bit "heavy footed" - LOL

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Note, KCSUN has a GT3, so is probably a bit "heavy footed" - LOL

I actually read the manual last night - will have to do this more often, if you go into the "car" tab on the mmi and scroll down to service interval it actually says oil service 300km ago, routine service in 14700 km

Think I will force them to do a oil change when I go back monday

kc

·
Registered
963 Posts
And stamp the book

·
Registered
38 Posts
Popped into my local French dealer today, told him my 8 month old 3.0 tdi needed a service because the service light was flashing and it had covered 15000km (10000 miles). He said my car does not need a service until 30000km?
He said to pop in on monday to reset the computer and forget about a service

Who is right?

Are UK cars set to go off at 15000km so the stealer gets some more money from you?

FYI the car is set to variable servicing

kc
Page 58 in the Q5 pricing brochuer tells you what service you require according to you driving style

mw

1 - 13 of 13 Posts