Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I need to replace my old summer tyres 255/45R20. My tyre dealer offer me a Mich. Pilot Sport 4 SUV 105W XL for a reasonable price, and Mich. Longitude sport 3 101W for a like 100$ more per tyre.
Car is Q5 Quattro 2014 190HP, and Longitude sport 3 101W is OE tyre for this car. At manufacturer recommended tyres there is no 105 index load for summer tyres, only for M + S.

I really don't need extra load or higher load index like 105, but tyre dealer said that 105W XL will perfectly fit my car because that's new technology, and that PS 4 SUV is inherited LS 3.
I need tyre that will last reasonable long, and tyre that does not consume a lot of fuel because is heavier, XL, 105 etc...

So, should i go for PS 4 SUV 105W XL or find other brand 101W?

·
Premium Member
Q5 55 tfsi e Competition, all boxes ticked, Navarra Blue
239 Posts
The load rating makes no difference to tyre wear. The only consideration is that it meets or exceeds the manufacturers specification. As regards wear there are only two variables, the tyre manufacturer and how you drive. The most important factors regarding tyres is how do they behave in the wet/dry and how predictable they are. One day your life could be dependent on these factors, wear is secondary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tnx guys!
I contacted a few more dealers and they all convince me that I can use 105w without problems. Here is a shortage of mich. pilot sport 4 suv 101w versions, the price is very high.
I'll probably stick with 101w, but other brand.

Manufacturer's Recommendations, there is 105V but M+S, does maybee this mean that I can use a summer tire 105? (but still there is XL, only for 21"...)

Font Temperature Material property Number Terrestrial animal

·
Still Game
5,092 Posts
but still there is XL, only for 21"... obviously 21" wheels have less sidewall and perhaps needs to be stiffer?

What is your requirement?? Low cost / comfort / grip/ noise.

Not all tyres are equal. Load rating is only one consideration. Read some tyre reviews.
What is fitted to your car. Unless you have a reason to change(?), easiest option wouild be to replace like for like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Comfort. The thing is, I bought a used car that came with pirelli verde 105w XL, now is time to change and I want Michelin, because I like them.
My problem is that local dealers overprice 101W tyre by a lot for some reason (I compared prices across Europe), they try to sell me same brand tyre but 105W XL at normal price convincing me that those tires fit my car.

I was confused but I will stick with the factory recommendations. 255/45 R20 101W but other brand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts