Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well thats 1000 miles on the clock! And boy can i say this is the best car I have ever owned, mainly thats because I've had every X5 since debut and before that only a Honda Accord

Thought I'd do the common thing here and summarise the good and bad aspects of the car:

Pros:
- Let's start with Sound - I know SnowMan isn't a big fan, but thats probably because he's comparing to an R8 Petrol - but this is the best sounding diesel i have ever heard. Every time someone jumps in they look at me and go "Wait I thought you were a Diesel man, this doesn't sound much like a diesel" The growl turns heads from miles and its the most satisfying thing I have heard when driving.
- Lava Grey - what a stunning colour. Highly recommend, it's absolutely gorgeous and the only other colour i would opt for would be a White.
- Interior - Beautiful build quality, comfortable leather and well lit cabin with a lovely white and red colour scheme at night.
- Those LEDs front and back - absolutely love them, every time i unlock the car and I just stare for a bit and nod with approval. Just wish i could see it from the outside and be inside it at the same time.
- Bang and Olufsen - surprisingly good actually. I was worried coming from an Individual Audio System in my X5, however this sounds lovely. Not like I have it on much though, i'm happy just cruising to the exhaust.
- Sunroof - first time with a sunroof and its wonderful. Not like I can use it in these freezing temperatures, but it just lets so much light in making the cabin much more airy.
- 21" Wheels - Haven't noticed any difference to ride quality, or road noise - it just looks incredible fromvery angle and gives it that cool performance car look.
- General Speed - Let's be honest, its stupidly fast for an SUV, but am I complaining, hell no!

Cons:
- Radio FM & DAB - The radio quality is so bad its actually quite embarrassing. I don't know if this is because of the settings (which i have spent hours playing with), but in comparison to using an SD card or CD, it just sounds rubbish and very tingy - no bass and poor quality.
- MMI - Not really a big problem here, but in comparison to the ease of the BMW's iDrive, this is a lot more hard to use in my honest opinion. Setting up WLAN is always a challenge, by the way do you only get that if you have opted for Audi Connect - High? As I only noticed I had it on the car the other day as a hotspot. Can't work it out, any help would be appreciated! Doesn't seem to work with iPhones? Is that a common error?
- Efficiency mode - not like i have used it but when I have its just so bloody boring and slow and unresponsive and sounds like my old X5...ew!
- Positioning of Hazard Lights - on every Audi, why would they position them an arm stretch away? Such an inconvenience but a very petty problem

So thats it guys, absolutely loving it and can't wait to do some more miles. Not only is it fast, comfortable and the best looking thing I've seen for ages, its exclusive and different to everything else. Over and out

Attachments

Reactions: G dog

·
Banned
289 Posts
Always good to see these reviews........although it is a bit of concern to hear there are sound issues with the radio...

But otherwise, glad to hear you are enjoying the car so much!

Roll on March!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not too much of a problem Quattro as the hardrive can fit something like 8000 songs so I just plugged in an SD card, saved them all to Jukebox and have it on 'Shuffle' so all my and wives favourite songs just playing through.

Definitely still loving it mate

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I didn't know anyone used the radio anymore since hardrives/sd/iPhones play mp3s without some tit chatting crap every few minutes and bombardment of commercials!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
289 Posts
I didn't know anyone used the radio anymore since hardrives/sd/iPhones play mp3s without some tit chatting crap every few minutes and bombardment of commercials!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have an iPod permanently attached for music in my car, but I use the radio quite a bit - mainly for speech stations (5Live, R4). I'd expect decent sound quality from a DAB radio...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DAB is marginally better than FM, but still not quite up to standard of SD or CD as Jose mentioned.
It's not really me but the wife often listens to the radio for travel news etc. on the way to work - it's not the end of the world though, definitely something we can cope with

·
Banned
289 Posts
Yep. I expect I'll cope somehow as well.

If it is too bad, I'll switch it off and listen to the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats all I do anyway, much sweeter music than Jay-Z

·
Registered
952 Posts
Great review for me to read Ray given I have a 35d X5 like you had before your SQ5. Roll on March so I can write a review of my SQ5!!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking forward to hearing it mate
It's a change from the X5 you will approve of I can guarantee that!

·
Banned
489 Posts
Ray - Great to read. Hazard lights: Something to do with mod from LH drive maybe? The handbrake on my previous TT was on the passenger side of the central console. My OH found the elbow pad in just the right place!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Reactions: José

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah that makes much more sense then, I was wondering

·
Registered
529 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hehe Wilf I was talking about the Hazards

·
Registered
253 Posts
Great review Ray - so glad you are enjoying the car! Have to agree, those lights are awesome as are the wheels!

Happy driving!

G

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks mate, hope you're enjoying too. I told you it would be well worth the wait

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

RIGHT OF LEFT?
Hehhe

Reactions: Dogzyboy

·
Registered
596 Posts
Well thats 1000 miles on the clock! And boy can i say this is the best car I have ever owned, mainly thats because I've had every X5 since debut and before that only a Honda Accord

Thought I'd do the common thing here and summarise the good and bad aspects of the car:

Pros:
- Let's start with Sound - I know SnowMan isn't a big fan, but thats probably because he's comparing to an R8 Petrol - but this is the best sounding diesel i have ever heard. Every time someone jumps in they look at me and go "Wait I thought you were a Diesel man, this doesn't sound much like a diesel" The growl turns heads from miles and its the most satisfying thing I have heard when driving.
- Lava Grey - what a stunning colour. Highly recommend, it's absolutely gorgeous and the only other colour i would opt for would be a White.
- Interior - Beautiful build quality, comfortable leather and well lit cabin with a lovely white and red colour scheme at night.
- Those LEDs front and back - absolutely love them, every time i unlock the car and I just stare for a bit and nod with approval. Just wish i could see it from the outside and be inside it at the same time.
- Bang and Olufsen - surprisingly good actually. I was worried coming from an Individual Audio System in my X5, however this sounds lovely. Not like I have it on much though, i'm happy just cruising to the exhaust.
- Sunroof - first time with a sunroof and its wonderful. Not like I can use it in these freezing temperatures, but it just lets so much light in making the cabin much more airy.
- 21" Wheels - Haven't noticed any difference to ride quality, or road noise - it just looks incredible fromvery angle and gives it that cool performance car look.
- General Speed - Let's be honest, its stupidly fast for an SUV, but am I complaining, hell no!

Cons:
- Radio FM & DAB - The radio quality is so bad its actually quite embarrassing. I don't know if this is because of the settings (which i have spent hours playing with), but in comparison to using an SD card or CD, it just sounds rubbish and very tingy - no bass and poor quality.
- MMI - Not really a big problem here, but in comparison to the ease of the BMW's iDrive, this is a lot more hard to use in my honest opinion. Setting up WLAN is always a challenge, by the way do you only get that if you have opted for Audi Connect - High? As I only noticed I had it on the car the other day as a hotspot. Can't work it out, any help would be appreciated! Doesn't seem to work with iPhones? Is that a common error?
- Efficiency mode - not like i have used it but when I have its just so bloody boring and slow and unresponsive and sounds like my old X5...ew!
- Positioning of Hazard Lights - on every Audi, why would they position them an arm stretch away? Such an inconvenience but a very petty problem

So thats it guys, absolutely loving it and can't wait to do some more miles. Not only is it fast, comfortable and the best looking thing I've seen for ages, its exclusive and different to everything else. Over and out
Hi Ray
Just reading your 1000 mile report and having just crept up to 1500 miles in mine, would endorse each of your positive comments (Lava Grey is certainly beautiful!), as well as the niggles re Audi Connect Hi and WLAN.
As an acknowledged luddite, I've bought a data SIM card (GiffGaff £7.50/ month for 1Gb monthly allowance) which seems to let me / passengers use an iPhone for slightly faster on-board surfing through the 3G network.
Dealership tells me that iPhones won't link with Google Maps or Streetview via the Navigation system however but I guess that if I don't understand these things and have never had any experience of using them, then I'm no worse off anyway. (Am happy to be corrected if I'm doing something wrong however?!)
Two very minor things IMO I'd have liked changed however: Nice aesthetic touch if the SQ5 logo within the dials were lit up, and I don't like the aluminium gear selector - always freezing cold in this weather.
Finally, I'd just add that the FF swivel tow bar with incorporated electrics is just brilliant - with a tow bar mounted 4 cycle carrier, it's made life a hell of a lot easier for a household keen on it's mountain biking.
2000 mile round trip to France beckons next week so we'll see if anything changes but for the moment, keep smiling and happy / safe motoring.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts