Gearshift mechanism swap? - myAUDIQ5 forum

Gearshift mechanism swap?

1 reply to this topic

#1 Opentoideas

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 04:14 PM

Does anyone have any experience with swapping the gear shift mechanism?

The reason I ask is that my 2010 3.0TDI came with ADS however Audi in their wisdom decided that as a result the D/S selection on the gearshift wasnt needed so its not available.Posted Image

while there is a cable to the gearbox from the shift mechanism which looks to be a major PITA for the swap I suspect that all the gear functionality is electronic so I was hoping that swapping the unit and side display for one from a non ADS car should give back the D/S selection.

looks like there are 2 main variants, early ones have D and S as separate positions and later ones D/S as a toggle pulling back on the lever. I doubt I can get away with the later version but the earlier one might just be a simple swap.

I have and use Vag-com so recoding I can do but if anyone has any experience on compatibility it would be a huge help.

while I do have access to the workshop manual to see how much fun this will be I dont have the parts side to check compatible parts for the vehicle so before I head off looking for parts on ebay I am hoping someone else may have been mad enough to try this or unlucky enough to have had to replace the mechanism

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyAudiQ5.com

#2 SQ-Raphster

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 1805 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:32 PM

So you can select Sport / Dynamic mode from the Audi Drive Select on the MMI or ADS button on the centre dash, but you can't select Sport mode from the gear select lever? No experience on this but sounds like an interesting project to solve.
Audi SQ5 Stealth: Mythos Black • Black Styling Pack • Black Leather Interior • Flat-Bottom Steering Wheel • Adaptive Headlights • High-beam assist • Advanced key • Audi Drive Select • Dynamic Power Steering • Parking System Advanced • B&O • Privacy Glass • Panoramic Sunroof • Heated Front & Rear seats • HHA • Electric Tailgate • Technology Pack High • Audi Music Interface Rear side airbags • Storage Package • Under-floor storage • Semi-rigid boot liner • 21" Alloys • Mods: Kufatec Sound Booster • Audi Q5 Rubber Mats • Full frontal 3rd Gen self-healing (PPF) protective film • DTUK CRD3+ • Audi Aluminium cup • Full LED interior upgrade • Audi leather keyfob case • LED Fogs • LED reverse lights Thinkware Dual Dash Cam F770 Exhaust speakers upgraded to Pioneer TS-MR1640

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users