2.0 TFSI & SQ5 Running costs/mpg? - myAUDIQ5 forum

2.0 TFSI & SQ5 Running costs/mpg?

5 replies to this topic

#1 aj84

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:00 PM

Hi all,

So initially I joined here to ask whether I am being silly going from a A7 3.0 272bhp tdi to a Q5 2.0 tfsi.
While I have not found anyone doing anything from same/similar, the general consensus is to test-drive the 2.0 which is what I thought it would be however...

I've done nothing but read up/watching reviews in the last few days and I've added another dilemma. I am now sure I want to move into a Q5 but the SQ5 is looking like more of a contender - again I have not driven one.

Does anyone have real-life figures on how the SQ5 3.0 tfsi run in terms of mpg and so on and what I would be also interested in is if anyone has done the 2.0 TFSI and moved into the 3.0 SQ5 TFSI or the other way round.

My journey/s at the moment are almost 0 but in the pre-covid world, it would be a daily trip of around 10 miles to work each way (local) with the mornings being empty 40mph roads and the evenings being slight stop-start.
Every other weekend would consist of a motorway trip of fairly slow stop/start m25 (40-50 miles) and then a traffic-free M25 trip back.

I have checked a couple of fuelly pages and the general view is around 25mpg on the SQ5 and 30mpg on the 2.0 TFSI.

I'm also calculating on the basis both have a 70 litre tank, at 25mpg, there would be around a 385 start > finish on the SQ5 and 462 miles on the Q5 - is this about right?

Is there anything else to think the SQ5 would be more costly to run vs the 2.0 tfsi? It seems servicing is fairly standard and similar pricing, the tyres will cost me more on those 21s and to be honest, I think I would want to drop size. I'm on 21's on the A7 and while they look great, the ride is just too hard and the amount of flats I've is not worth it.

And finally, is the SQ5 always 4 wheel or is it like the Q5 and only when it needs it?

Apologies for the number of questions! I might as well ask them while we're locked down. Both cars I have seen are specced up nicely and the only difference is the Q5 has a sunroof. Pricing is the same too but mileage would be looking at mid 35k on an 18-plater, the Q5 12k on a 19-plater

Thanks in advance!

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyAudiQ5.com

#2 AllanG

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:41 PM

I have owned a 2018 model Q5 Sline 2.0 TFSI since new, which has averaged 33 mpg over 18600 miles, which I have recorded from full tank to full tank refills, and I have achieved 550 miles on a full tank when driving through France.

On mostly urban journeys, I average about 28-31 mpg, depending on weather conditions, and about 34-37 mpg on motorway trips.

I’m afraid I haven’t any experience of the SQ5, though I’m in the process of selling my Q5 to buy a Porsche Macan S 3.0 V6, which I think will have a similar fuel consumption to a SQ5.
2018 Q5 S-Line 2.0 TFSI STronic - Daytona Grey

#3 aj84

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 12:23 PM

Thanks AllanG!
This helps a lot with the 2.0 figures and is more than acceptable. I suppose now the question is how far is the SQ5 from those figures and I don't think a 20 minute test drive will tell me this

#4 rapidcool

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Moderators
  • 1044 posts
  • Locationrochester,kent

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:41 AM

I struggled to get 25+mpg with my Q5 2.0TFSI and get 40+mpg with my SQ5 3.0TDI.

#5 MrH

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 1254 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:15 PM

View Postrapidcool, on 19 January 2021 - 04:41 AM, said:

I struggled to get 25+mpg with my Q5 2.0TFSI and get 40+mpg with my SQ5 3.0TDI.

Yep agreed; I too used to get 40+ mpg with my Mk1 SQ5. I now only get about 28mpg in the Beemer but that is all local running these days and due to Covid I've only done about 4k since March last year so not spent too much on fuel Posted Image
Current: BMW 540i xDrive Touring M Sport

Gone but not forgotten: SQ5 MY16 (65 Plate): Volcano Red . Black Pack . Body Coloured Mirrors (Folding) . Powered Tailgate . Bendy Xenons . Carbon Atlas Inlays . Heated Seats (front and rear) . Rear Bench Seat Plus . Rear Side Airbags . Side Window Blinds . Tech Pack High . B&O Sound . ADS . Dynamic Steering . HHA . Storage Package . Under-floor Storage Tray . Semi-Rigid Bootliner and a (privately purchased) Collapsible Spare Wheel Mods: LED Reversing lights

Posted Image

#6 rapidcool

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Moderators
  • 1044 posts
  • Locationrochester,kent

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:33 PM

Even driving about town I am seeing circa 35mpg.

However, mpg is no longer a major consideration for me with nowhere to go.

What is a bonus is great reliability and fixed price servicing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users