Sunroof problems - myAUDIQ5 forum

Sunroof problems

92 replies to this topic

#1 annie80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

Hello, I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice or have had a similar problem. I took delivery of my Q5 last July and have loved every minute of driving it but within a month or so of having it the sunroof started to develop a 'rattle'. I put up with this noise for several weeks and eventually took the car back to Audi. They kept the car for about two weeks and then returned it to me rattle free ... For a while anyway! A couple of months later the rattle noise came back. I put up with it again for a while and then took it in to Audi (another Q5 was in with the same problem). They were clearly running out of ideas and said they had to speak to Germany. A week and a half later I got my car back, minus the rattle. The sunroof has been fine up until now and it's back again!! I know Audi have been good with trying to get it right but I'm fed up with the noise and courtesy cars. I have paid money for a car that clearly has had a fault from the beginning. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Can this problem ever be fixed? Any advice would be helpful.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyAudiQ5.com

#2 Ianonortheast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

Hi, interestingly, my Q5 has gone into the dealer today for a rattle/creak from the pano roof. I am hoping that it will be returned minus the rattle and it won't return.
My car is only 6 months old with 6000 miles on the clock, just hoping it gets sorted........
2.0TDI 177bhp S Line Plus, pano roof, LED interior light pack, heated front and rear seats, Hoen fog light upgrade.

#3 Dale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

Eeeeck. Doesn't sound like Audi build quality.
IMO Nothing more annoying than a rattle (think the old Clio advert with the oil can). Especially having paid extra for the cool roof.

Seriously though, would be interested to see what others are finding, as I've got pana roof on my wish list.

Hope you guys get sorted soon

#4 Robin T

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • LocationGhent, Belgium

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

Same here. Going in 2nd of October in combination with the 20,000 mile service.

My Cayenne was rattling at 50 spots so I don't care too much.

Anyhow, my sunroof has double noise issue:
- rattle when opened
- torsion knocking noise when closed

Let's keep each other posted on solutions.

Good luck
SQ5 - Ibis White - Silver/black nappa leather

#5 annie80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

Thanks Dale, hopefully there will be a solution as it's driving me mad and it has definitely put me off buying another Audi with the panoramic sun roof. I hope you get it sorted Ian, although I have heard that once there is a problem with the roof and they start messing about with it, there will always be problems. I'll let you know what happens...

#6 annie80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

Thanks RobinT, let me know how you get on.

#7 shabazmo

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:32 AM

Like rattles on my A7, they try simple cheaper repairs first and if that doesn't work they will replace the whole sunroof, or at least remove it and refit. I had my HUD replaced on the A7 for a rattle and that was windscreen out and a lot of the dash dismantled.
Keep persisting and they will eventually have to replace the roof if it doesn't get fixed.
3.0 Tdi SLine Plus in Cuvee Silver, 55k miles, alcantara heated front and rear seats, electric memory seats, TPMS, mobile phone prep online, panoramic roof, advance key, adv park and camera, high beam assist, interior light pack, hill hold assist, adaptive lights, bench seat plus, garage door opener, climate cup, underfloor storage luggage comp, piano black inlays.

Audi A7 2WD, multitronic, Dakota Grey, comfort pack, 125k miles, tech pack, blah, blah

R8 plus Spyder in vegas yellow, 2k miles blah, blah..

#8 Barbyboy

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 596 posts
  • LocationNorthamptonshire

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

Two separate dealerships told me a few months ago about technical problems with the Pano roof, which in turn was affecting production at the factory - Q5 and SQ5's in particular.
Maybe that was just another lame excuse in the build week / delivery saga, but if it was true, then just maybe forumite's ongoing issues might originate here?
Currently driving: Wife mad
Currently own: Mad wife
Just Arrived: BMW X3 M4.0i Sophisto Grey, Fiona Red / Black Merino leather, lots and lots of bells and whistles.
Previously: SQ5+ Sepang Blue, before that: SQ5 Lava Grey, before that: Q5 3.0 TDI S-line Daytona Grey.

#9 Wilf

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 529 posts
  • LocationMidlands UK

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

Rattles are one thing i cant stand, theres just no excuse for it even on the cheaper end of the car market! Mine is in to Audi in at the end of the month for a rattle coming from the bottom of the steering column or suspension (4 weeks booking in wait, something else thats unacceptable) so i sure hope the get it sorted.

They have it booked in for a day so i know damn well at the end of that day i will be told they need to rebook it in because it needs further investigation. I tried telling them that from previous experience as day isn't long enough! Lets see how good their customer service is when i tell them to keep it and sort asap and i will keep your loan car until it is.

SQ5 in Dulux pure brilliant white - Rubber tyres - Nylon mats - Mark Thatcher direction-finding system - Rear seat pockets - Tax disc holder - Alexander Graham Bell communication device- Reclining ash-trays & Badges

#10 missile

Still Game

• Members
  • 4486 posts
  • LocationCraiglang

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

I will be interested to hear the outcome
2013 Audi SQ5 Misano RED

#11 annie80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

Sorry I probably should have mentioned in my original post that the sunroof was replaced with a brand new one the first time it went in to Audi so I have no idea what they will plan to do next!

#12 merlinv8

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • LocationMIDLANDS

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

Sounds like they will keep trying, its got to be right either way . just a nightmare for it to keep happening
Back in an SQ5 , Still love them, good all round fast family car

#13 acb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationBirmingham

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

I to have had a problem with a rattle in the sunroof. Been noted every time at service and sorted but re-appears. They say they have greased the roof. I read somewhere that there was a problem with wind deflector, in that when the roof is closed it does not force the deflector down far enough to stop it rattling around. This seems quite plausible but have never tried wedging it to see if it was but is where the noise was coming from.

#14 Dale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

I suppose at least Audi are trying to sort it.massive PITA having to take cars back in for something like this though

#15 merlinv8

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • LocationMIDLANDS

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

it is but all rattles need sorting straight away otherwise it will just continue p sing you off everytime you drive it
Back in an SQ5 , Still love them, good all round fast family car

#16 Ianonortheast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Just got my Q5 back today from the dealers, apparently there is a TPI??? out for models with the pano roof.....

According to the job sheet, the technicians have;
Carried out guided testing for a creaking noise from the sunroof.
Found TPI relating to the fault.
Cleaned the sunroof rails, seals and lid mechanism.
Re-tested all ok.

I will let you know if this has rectified the issue.
2.0TDI 177bhp S Line Plus, pano roof, LED interior light pack, heated front and rear seats, Hoen fog light upgrade.

#17 missile

Still Game

• Members
  • 4486 posts
  • LocationCraiglang

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

Very pleased, I did not take that option now.
2013 Audi SQ5 Misano RED

#18 José

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 2240 posts
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

View Postmissile, on 12 September 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

Very pleased, I did not take that option now.

Me too!
2013 Audi SQ5 TDI Glacier White, 21" ‘5-twin-spoke Star’ alloys in titanium look with a high gloss finish
Fine Nappa Leather Seats: Black, Headliner: Black, Inlays - Carbon atlas, Leather package Plus
Adaptive headlights, Advanced key, Audi drive select, Audi hill-hold assist, Audi Parking System Advanced, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, Black roof rails, Climate cup holder, Deletion of TDI technology designation at rear (keeping SQ5 and V6 T on wings and added extra T), Door mirrors – elec adjustable/folding/heated/auto-dimming with memory function, Dynamic steering, Electrically-adjustable front seats with memory function, Heated front and outer rear seats, High-beam assist, MMI navigation plus, Mobile telephone preparation – High with Audi connect, Audi side assist and Audi active lane assist, Power-operated tailgate, Privacy glass, DAB digital radio, Side window blinds – manual, Towing equipment, Rear bench seat plus, Rear side airbags, Removable net partition, Retractable and extendable sun visor, 3-spoke multi-function flat bottomed steering wheel with gear-shift paddles, Storage package, Tyre pressure loss indicator, Underfloor storage tray in boot
Posted Image

#19 Steppy

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

And me.

Both the Q5 and demo Q7 I tried I had rattling roofs so I crossed it of my option list.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
MY13:- Audi Q5 2.0TDi S-Line Plus S-tronic : Glacier White : Tech Pack High : Electrically Folding Mirrors : Heated Front Seats : Interior Light Package : DAB Digital Radio : Bang & Olufsen : Storage Pack :

#20 aldfort

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationS Wales, UK

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

The Pano roof has been a problem for the VW group ever since they first introduced it. Seems to happen irrespective of the model.
Usually lurking in a pit under a Steam Loco somewhere.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users