First Audi intro & keep it clean! - myAUDIQ5 forum

First Audi intro & keep it clean!

10 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewMcCarthy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 09:55 AM

Hi all, just introducing myself to the forum. Not even 24 hours into ownership of my first Audi and my first Q5, a 2.0l TDI S-Line Quattro. So far, hugely impressed with the quality especially when coming from a mk5 Golf. Nothing wrong with the Golf, but the Audi is a step up. Always found forums very useful to gain tips therefore hopefully this forum is the same.

Just one initial question really. Obviously wanting to keep the vehicle in show room condition, in fact, better than showroom. The car is an approved used, however I wasn't impressed with the valet when I picked it up and will blame it on reduced staff being over worked during COVID, but I know I can do it better. With that said, will be cleaning myself, therefore wondering what products owners use. I have leather interior therefore products for external and internal would be useful as would any tips and tricks for maintaining the appearance. Have used Maguiar's in the past when I owned a Golf VR6 10 years ago, which I was hugely impressed with, but im guessing things have moved on since.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to gaining and sharing my Audi ownership on this forum

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyAudiQ5.com

#2 AllanG

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 17 June 2020 - 10:39 AM

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your new Q5 Posted Image. Regarding cleaning, I’ve been using Meguiars products on my Q5 since I bought it 2.5 years ago and, IMHO, it still looks fantastic!
2018 Q5 S-Line 2.0 TFSI STronic - Daytona Grey

#3 MrH

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 1243 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex

Posted 17 June 2020 - 10:56 AM

I always used Autoglym stuff on mine (it had been AG sealed when new) and it still looked fantastic when I cast it 3.5 years and 68k miles later ..................
Current: BMW 540i xDrive Touring M Sport

Gone but not forgotten: SQ5 MY16 (65 Plate): Volcano Red . Black Pack . Body Coloured Mirrors (Folding) . Powered Tailgate . Bendy Xenons . Carbon Atlas Inlays . Heated Seats (front and rear) . Rear Bench Seat Plus . Rear Side Airbags . Side Window Blinds . Tech Pack High . B&O Sound . ADS . Dynamic Steering . HHA . Storage Package . Under-floor Storage Tray . Semi-Rigid Bootliner and a (privately purchased) Collapsible Spare Wheel Mods: LED Reversing lights

Posted Image

#4 AndrewMcCarthy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 11:53 AM

Thank you both. Have you used a scotch guard on the carpets?

#5 AllanG

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 17 June 2020 - 12:30 PM

View PostAndrewMcCarthy, on 17 June 2020 - 11:53 AM, said:

Thank you both. Have you used a scotch guard on the carpets?

I use rubber mats all year long, as they’re so much easier to keep clean.
2018 Q5 S-Line 2.0 TFSI STronic - Daytona Grey

#6 AndrewMcCarthy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 03:11 PM

View PostAllanG, on 17 June 2020 - 12:30 PM, said:

I use rubber mats all year long, as they’re so much easier to keep clean.

Makes a a of sense, had rubber mats in my VR6

#7 Richard_Lincoln

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 03:54 PM

I have used Maguiars, Autoglym and Finesse amongst others. Don't bother with Finesse. Seems to be Halfords own brand.
My advice get the best Maguiars, just shades Autoglym. Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection is worth using as a final layer after Maguiars three step detailing (see you tube videos). Maguiars NXT wax superb.
Orbital polisher (Argos £50) useful. Do not use in hot weather.
Inside, leather I have used a few and found Gliptone best.
After all that and water look finish it rains or birds [email protected] on it.... apparently they like to poop over water.

#8 Richard_Lincoln

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 05:08 AM

Almost forgot. Always clay bar first. Couldn't believe the muck I removed from mine and leaves a very smooth surface to work on.

#9 Richard_Lincoln

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 05:08 AM

Almost forgot. Always clay bar first. Couldn't believe the muck I removed from mine and leaves a very smooth surface to work on.

#10 AndrewMcCarthy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 10:10 AM

View PostRichard_Lincoln, on 17 June 2020 - 03:54 PM, said:

I have used Maguiars, Autoglym and Finesse amongst others. Don't bother with Finesse. Seems to be Halfords own brand.
My advice get the best Maguiars, just shades Autoglym. Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection is worth using as a final layer after Maguiars three step detailing (see you tube videos). Maguiars NXT wax superb.
Orbital polisher (Argos £50) useful. Do not use in hot weather.
Inside, leather I have used a few and found Gliptone best.
After all that and water look finish it rains or birds [email protected] on it.... apparently they like to poop over water.

View PostRichard_Lincoln, on 18 June 2020 - 05:08 AM, said:

View PostRichard_Lincoln, on 18 June 2020 - 05:08 AM, said:

Thanks Richard, used clay bar in the past, amazing stuff...

With regards to inside, we have a child seat for our 4 year old, already anticipate that the seat is going to dent the leather bench in the rear, has any used a Maxi Cosi or Audi's own child seat underlay?

#11 missile

Still Game

• Members
  • 4481 posts
  • LocationCraiglang

Posted 19 June 2020 - 10:19 PM

Welcome to our forum Posted Image
2013 Audi SQ5 Misano RED

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users