Sq5 tdi plus, sq5 tfsi or X3 M40i - myAUDIQ5 forum

Sq5 tdi plus, sq5 tfsi or X3 M40i

13 replies to this topic

#1 Moss2000

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 03:53 PM

Hi all thinking of one of the above - any thoughts on which and why? Thanks Mark.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyAudiQ5.com

#2 rapport25

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:01 PM

All 3 for different reasons :-)

Maybe worth adding what you are looking for?

All are great SUV's if that's your thing.

I drove all of the above including various estates.

#3 Moss2000

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:38 PM

Well I’ve had 4 sq5 tdi’s so feeling maybe like a change. The m40i seems to get good reviews and seems a chunk cheaper than the new petrol Sq5. The new diesel sq5 is out of my budget and also I’m starting to feel uncomfortable sinking a chunk of money into a diesel (I only do say 8000 a year). Be interested in your thoughts as you’ve driven them. Thanks

#4 Richard_Lincoln

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 06:50 PM

Personal taste for me excludes the BMW as the interior is drab. I like the interior of the XC60 and the RX450 or even the GLC, with the right trim spec.
Q5 3.0 tdi still gives best performance versus economy against the smaller 2.0 versions imho.
I once compared the emissions 3.0 tdi, 2.0 tdi and 2.0 tfsi - revealing for green purposes.
I average close to 50 mpg on a longer run and average around 40 mpg overall. Never any smoke even under hard acceleration.
Bottom line, it boils down to personal taste. Try it, if you like it, buy it. No other opinions are valid, hey I've owned a Citroen GSA pallas c-matic (my favourite ever car), and Peugeot 1007....

#5 rapport25

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:53 PM

Does it need to be an SUV?

Audi S4 Avant is a great car! The same engine as the SQ5 petrol, but better mpg & more fun to drive.

Youtube PetrolPed S4 Avant as he has one & reviewed it.

The engine in the BMW is a great lump! The over run & crackles are great :-).

As you know, I p/x my SQ5 Plus for a A6 Avant & never looked back!

Above all go out & drive all that you like!

#6 rapport25

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:03 PM

Back to your questions :-)

SQ5 Plus (Not telling you what you know) Just Plus vs yours. Diamond stitch seats are great & once remapped bonkers quick! Black pack looks great!. Not a clue about the Sport dif. Never drove one without. Negative the tech is dated!

SQ5 Petrol tech is great, but a few niggles. Fake exhausts. On an S car, a big no, no for me. Sounded OK. Build quality was not as good as the mk1 & mpg was shocking!! Mid teens to low 20's

BMW X3 M40i great engine, more driver focused than the other two. Great sound on the overrun with pops & crackles! But not for me. Mpg was OK low 20's to mid 20's

Then I started looking at estates. Never had the same car twice.

#7 MrH

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 1237 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:52 AM

View PostRichard_Lincoln, on 09 February 2020 - 06:50 PM, said:

Personal taste for me excludes the BMW as the interior is drab

Posted Image Posted Image

View Postrapport25, on 09 February 2020 - 08:03 PM, said:

BMW X3 M40i great engine, more driver focused than the other two. Great sound on the overrun with pops & crackles! But not for me. Mpg was OK high 20's to low 30's

I only got 18-20 on an extended test drive ...........

View Postrapport25, on 09 February 2020 - 08:03 PM, said:

Then I started looking at estates.

~MeToo - hence the G31 540i.........
Current: BMW 540i xDrive Touring M Sport

Gone but not forgotten: SQ5 MY16 (65 Plate): Volcano Red . Black Pack . Body Coloured Mirrors (Folding) . Powered Tailgate . Bendy Xenons . Carbon Atlas Inlays . Heated Seats (front and rear) . Rear Bench Seat Plus . Rear Side Airbags . Side Window Blinds . Tech Pack High . B&O Sound . ADS . Dynamic Steering . HHA . Storage Package . Under-floor Storage Tray . Semi-Rigid Bootliner and a (privately purchased) Collapsible Spare Wheel Mods: LED Reversing lights

Posted Image

#8 rapport25

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 06:55 PM

Mr H,

Not meaning to hijack Moss2000's thread. But do you miss your SQ5 vs your 5 series Touring?

I think it's worth adding your opinion as you to switched from SUV to estate/Avant/ Touring :-)

I'm very impressed with the A6 Avant, it's a great cruiser! On a run, seeing high 50's low 60's.

#9 rapport25

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:00 AM

Error, Mpg updated in my post :-) thanks Mr H

#10 MrH

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 1237 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:04 PM

View Postrapport25, on 10 February 2020 - 06:55 PM, said:

Mr H,

Not meaning to hijack Moss2000's thread. But do you miss your SQ5 vs your 5 series Touring?

I think it's worth adding your opinion as you to switched from SUV to estate/Avant/ Touring :-)

I'm very impressed with the A6 Avant, it's a great cruiser! On a run, seeing high 50's low 60's.

Yes there are some things about the SQ5 that I miss but to be honest after nearly a year it is hard to put my finger on them.

I hadn't intended switching from SUV to Estate but I really don't like the look of the Mk2 Q5 (just my opinion) compared to the Mk1 so looked at the X3 instead - the M40i was a hoot to drive but just too thirsty and didn't lend itself to relaxed driving; the M40D wasn't available at the time I was looking. I looked hard at the new A6 Avant but this was only available in diesel and for me was too much of a step down from the SQ5 in terms of performance and I really don't get the new MMI. The BMW 540i met all the required criteria (performance, internal space, AWD and excellent MMI/Nav); being priced to almost exact same amount as a diesel A6 Avant a huge deciding factor was the trade in on the SQ5 and the level of discount - BMW won hands down; very disappointed with my Audi dealer as we have had 5 new cars from them in the space of about 7-8 years.

Gone but not forgotten: SQ5 MY16 (65 Plate): Volcano Red . Black Pack . Body Coloured Mirrors (Folding) . Powered Tailgate . Bendy Xenons . Carbon Atlas Inlays . Heated Seats (front and rear) . Rear Bench Seat Plus . Rear Side Airbags . Side Window Blinds . Tech Pack High . B&O Sound . ADS . Dynamic Steering . HHA . Storage Package . Under-floor Storage Tray . Semi-Rigid Bootliner and a (privately purchased) Collapsible Spare Wheel Mods: LED Reversing lights

Posted Image

#11 rapport25

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:30 PM

View PostMrH, on 14 February 2020 - 03:04 PM, said:

Yes there are some things about the SQ5 that I miss but to be honest after nearly a year it is hard to put my finger on them.

I hadn't intended switching from SUV to Estate but I really don't like the look of the Mk2 Q5 (just my opinion) compared to the Mk1 so looked at the X3 instead - the M40i was a hoot to drive but just too thirsty and didn't lend itself to relaxed driving; the M40D wasn't available at the time I was looking. I looked hard at the new A6 Avant but this was only available in diesel and for me was too much of a step down from the SQ5 in terms of performance and I really don't get the new MMI. The BMW 540i met all the required criteria (performance, internal space, AWD and excellent MMI/Nav); being priced to almost exact same amount as a diesel A6 Avant a huge deciding factor was the trade in on the SQ5 and the level of discount - BMW won hands down; very disappointed with my Audi dealer as we have had 5 new cars from them in the space of about 7-8 years.

Agree with you Mr H, well partly. I'm almost 5 mths without my SQ5.

Things I miss to date. Engine, elevated driving postion & comfy seats.

Mpg for the performance on offer was great! And the looks of the mk1 still appeals!

If performance is your thing & the diesel shove. I would look at both the new S6 or SQ5.

I think the new MMI is one of my favourite things about the new gen Audis.

My A6 Avant is one of the best allrounders I have owned. Simply put a cruiser. Mpg is exceeding my expectations. Getting high 50's low 60's on my daily commute vs high 30's low 40's on my SQ5. Add to this cheaper insurance etc... it really is a great package!

I think if the S6 had been available at the time of ordering, I may have gone for this instead. But loving cheaper running costs.

#12 MrH

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 1237 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:01 AM

rapport25, on 17 February 2020 - 05:30 PM, said:

Agree with you Mr H, well partly. I'm almost 5 mths without my SQ5.

Things I miss to date. Engine, elevated driving postion & comfy seats.

Mpg for the performance on offer was great! And the looks of the mk1 still appeals!

If performance is your thing & the diesel shove. I would look at both the new S6 or SQ5.

I think the new MMI is one of my favourite things about the new gen Audis.

My A6 Avant is one of the best allrounders I have owned. Simply put a cruiser. Mpg is exceeding my expectations. Getting high 50's low 60's on my daily commute vs high 30's low 40's on my SQ5. Add to this cheaper insurance etc... it really is a great package!

I think if the S6 had been available at the time of ordering, I may have gone for this instead. But loving cheaper running costs.

The lack of diesel "shove" is noticeable but strange in that the 0-60 for the 540i is 4.9s compared with 5.1 for the SQ5??

The seats in the 540i definitely better for me than than the SQ5.

Believe me, if Audi had come up with a decent deal the A6 would have got a look in; as it is the 540i is equivelant to the S6 albeit petrol and so thirstier (I've got about 31mpg overall since new (varies from 28-38 depending on run).......

Posted Image

#13 rapport25

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:10 AM

View PostMrH, on 18 February 2020 - 09:01 AM, said:

The lack of diesel "shove" is noticeable but strange in that the 0-60 for the 540i is 4.9s compared with 5.1 for the SQ5??

The seats in the 540i definitely better for me than than the SQ5.

Believe me, if Audi had come up with a decent deal the A6 would have got a look in; as it is the 540i is equivelant to the S6 albeit petrol and so thirstier (I've got about 31mpg overall since new (varies from 28-38 depending on run).......

Don't get me wrong I think the A6 seats are great! Not had the car long enough yet to decide on any niggles. Just trying to highlight things I really liked about the SQ5 as I had it for nearly 3 yrs.

I'm pretty sure you can now get a 3.0 petrol as well.

#14 Barbyboy

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 596 posts
  • LocationNorthamptonshire

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:14 PM

HI all, just passing through and saw this thread. I'm currently driving the X3 M40i after owning 3 Q5 / SQ5's previously.
I still miss the shape of the Audi, the torque of the diesel engine and overall power / economy ratio.
However, buying the M40i has proved to be a happy decision - much more of engaging drivers car, ergonomically, ride and comfort-wise it's in a different class, and that engine performance and noise - just fantastic.
Overall bang-for-buck given the extensive kit and options list make it the better value car too. Downsides? Still not completely taken with the BMW body shape, 21" wheels take careful looking after and fuel economy in ASBO mode is just dreadful - low 20's at best.
Overall, no regrets, but I'll be keeping a keen eye on the Audi stable when it comes to changing car again.
Currently driving: Wife mad
Currently own: Mad wife
Just Arrived: BMW X3 M4.0i Sophisto Grey, Fiona Red / Black Merino leather, lots and lots of bells and whistles.
Previously: SQ5+ Sepang Blue, before that: SQ5 Lava Grey, before that: Q5 3.0 TDI S-line Daytona Grey.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users