Drive select Efficiency mode D and E - myAUDIQ5 forum

Drive select Efficiency mode D and E

Efficiency Drive Select

28 replies to this topic

#1 Dannybear83

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:31 PM

I have a 2nd gen Q5...I think its got a bug with the efficiency mode or may its normal
But I have notice when I put car in efficiency mode it shows on virtual cockpit an E then a number gear I am in,
If i parked the car (still efficiency mode)and return back to it and then drive off the display now shows D then the gear number
However the display still shows efficiency and the mmi shows efficiency mode but it doesn't feel efficient (as the car feel noticeably faster)
The only way I can get it back to showing E is to change setting in mmi then go back into efficiency mode.
Is this normal?

This doesn't happen on our S3 Posted ImagePosted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyAudiQ5.com

#2 AllanG

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:55 AM

My Mk2 Q5 shows exactly the same displays as yours when using the efficiency mode and, as far as I’m aware, this is correct, as the display shows ‘efficiency’ and the ‘D’ shows you are in forward gear.

As a check, when the ‘efficiency’ mode is showing, if you select reverse, the display will show an ‘R’.

Even when I use the efficiency mode, the car accelerates quite fast.
2018 Q5 S-Line 2.0 TFSI STronic - Daytona Grey

#3 Dannybear83

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:08 AM

It don’t sounded right to me...
If you have left your parked your in efficiency mode switch it over to comfort and switch back efficiency and the “E” will be displayed
When mine display “D” in efficiency mode it drives like its in comfort mode,
When the “E” is displayed its feels slow as it uses a higher gear,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 AllanG

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:30 AM

If you’re still unsure, then I suggest asking your Audi dealer....sorry I can’t help further.

#5 Justanhonestman

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:20 PM

Get somebody in the car with you to take a note of the revs when each gear change happens. Do it in comfort mode , then the same in efficiency mode. That should give you an indication of what mode the car really is in when either D or E is showing. In efficiency mode, the gears will change quicker at lower revs to get to top gear as soon as possible to reduce fuel consumption. Dynamic mode holds onto the gears longer to give quicker acceleration. I found little or no difference in fuel consumption showing in the dash display between efficiency and comfort modes and didn’t really notice any difference in acceleration in either mode until I changed to dynamic. Doesn’t the handbook explain the difference that each mode has on the running of the car ?

#6 Dannybear83

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:34 PM

Could someone check for me please 😊, I’m not sure if I am being paranoid lol

#7 Clive1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:43 PM

Mine does exactly the same as described and always has. You can 'force' it back into displaying E by swapping modes and back again. I have no idea if its in Efficiency when showing the D with efficiency under it. It has never really bothered me as I think the difference between Auto mode and Efficiency is marginal. Mostly I only use Auto and occasionally swap to S on the gearbox.

#8 AllanG

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:56 PM

View PostClive1954, on 26 August 2019 - 12:43 PM, said:

Mine does exactly the same as described and always has. You can 'force' it back into displaying E by swapping modes and back again. I have no idea if its in Efficiency when showing the D with efficiency under it. It has never really bothered me as I think the difference between Auto mode and Efficiency is marginal. Mostly I only use Auto and occasionally swap to S on the gearbox.

Just checked mine today, and it works exactly the same as yours above, so I don’t think there is a problem.

#9 rifleman

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 790 posts
  • LocationAldershot, England, UK

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:44 AM

View PostAllanG, on 26 August 2019 - 02:56 PM, said:

Just checked mine today, and it works exactly the same as yours above, so I don’t think there is a problem.

Mine too - despite it saying 'D' - I still get the EFFICIENCY in green text, I still get the Eco Tips (like close Sunroof etc.) and the car still cuts all the revs and still moves in and out of READY mode with no revs when I am cruising at speed and don't need any gas.

I guess people in general are more used to seeing D, R or S and they kept it that way, although on both my old Mk1 Q5's it always had 'E' in Efficiency Mode.
current car - Q5 (MY19) Y8A S-Line Plus 2.0 (245PS EU6 Petrol) S-Tronic, ordered 18 Aug 18 - delivered 14 Jun 19

Posted Image

Quantum Grey, Black Edition, Extended LED Light Pack, Panoramic Sunroof, Running Boards, Technology Pack, 20” x 8.0J ‘5-arm rotor’ Design Gloss Athracite Black, Diamond Cut Finish Audi Sport lloy Wheels, Touring Pack, 'S'-Line Sports Suspension, 360° Camera, Park Assist, Audi Side Assist, Camera-based Traffic Sign Recognition, Audi Pre-Sense Rear, Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop&Go and Traffic-jam Assist, Lane Keeping System, Parking Assistance Pack, Privacy Glass with Acoustic Glazing for Front Windows, Audi Matrix LED Headlights with LED Rear Lights and Dynamic Front and Rear Indicators, Heated Front & Outer Rear Seats, Storage Pack, MMI Navigation Plus with MMI Touch, Audi Connect Infotainment Services, Audi Phone Box with Wireless Charging, Audi Virtual Cockpit

previous car - Q5 (MY16) S-Line Plus 2.0 (190PS EU6 Diesel) S-Tronic, ordered 19 Dec 15 - delivered 1 March 2016

Posted Image

Floret Silver, Extended Black Styling Pack (21" Black Alloys, Black Grille, Black Mirrors, Black Roof Rails, Black Inlays etc.), Panoramic Sunroof, Technical Pack Advanced (Adaptive Cruise Control / Audi Parking System Plus Audi Side Assist), Audi Phone Connect (High) - (with HTC One M9), Flat Bottom 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Fine Napa Leather Front and Rear Heated Seats, Hill Hold Assist, High Beam Assist, LED Light Pack, Storage Pack, Heated Electric Folding Door Mirrors.

Added with VAG-Com: Rear LED's as DRL's, Audi Drive Select (ADS), Fog Lights on Turn / Signal, Needle Sweep, Oil Temp / Lap Timer, Ambient Lighting Control, High-Beam Assist engage / disengage speed thresholds

#10 Old_Geezer

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • LocationBlighty

Posted 29 August 2019 - 04:58 PM

Checked mine yesterday taking note each time I parked and restarted, and mine is the same as OP. Normal I would say.
Previous: 1962 Simca Montlhery, 1964 Singer Vogue, 1968 Vauxhall Viva HB, 1972 Hillman Avenger, 1978 Chrysler Alpine,1982 Golf GTi 1588 cc, 1986 to 2003 Various Golf GTi's and GTD's.
Audi A3 2.0 TDI (2003) remapped.
BMW 120d (E87).
BMW 325d M Sport remapped (E91).
BMW 320d Sport (F31).
BMW X3 xDrive 30d M Sport Pre LCI (F25).
Current cars:
2017 Audi Q5 Quattro S line Navarro Blue 2.0 litre TFSI.
2019 VW Polo 1.0 TSI 95 SE 5dr DSG. Wife's runabout and shopping trolley.
Posted Image

#11 rifleman

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:57 AM

I suggest the OP calls Audi Customer Service to get the answer, they have improved in providing answers and following up enquiries.
current car - Q5 (MY19) Y8A S-Line Plus 2.0 (245PS EU6 Petrol) S-Tronic, ordered 18 Aug 18 - delivered 14 Jun 19

Posted Image

Quantum Grey, Black Edition, Extended LED Light Pack, Panoramic Sunroof, Running Boards, Technology Pack, 20” x 8.0J ‘5-arm rotor’ Design Gloss Athracite Black, Diamond Cut Finish Audi Sport lloy Wheels, Touring Pack, 'S'-Line Sports Suspension, 360° Camera, Park Assist, Audi Side Assist, Camera-based Traffic Sign Recognition, Audi Pre-Sense Rear, Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop&Go and Traffic-jam Assist, Lane Keeping System, Parking Assistance Pack, Privacy Glass with Acoustic Glazing for Front Windows, Audi Matrix LED Headlights with LED Rear Lights and Dynamic Front and Rear Indicators, Heated Front & Outer Rear Seats, Storage Pack, MMI Navigation Plus with MMI Touch, Audi Connect Infotainment Services, Audi Phone Box with Wireless Charging, Audi Virtual Cockpit

previous car - Q5 (MY16) S-Line Plus 2.0 (190PS EU6 Diesel) S-Tronic, ordered 19 Dec 15 - delivered 1 March 2016

Posted Image

Floret Silver, Extended Black Styling Pack (21" Black Alloys, Black Grille, Black Mirrors, Black Roof Rails, Black Inlays etc.), Panoramic Sunroof, Technical Pack Advanced (Adaptive Cruise Control / Audi Parking System Plus Audi Side Assist), Audi Phone Connect (High) - (with HTC One M9), Flat Bottom 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Fine Napa Leather Front and Rear Heated Seats, Hill Hold Assist, High Beam Assist, LED Light Pack, Storage Pack, Heated Electric Folding Door Mirrors.

Added with VAG-Com: Rear LED's as DRL's, Audi Drive Select (ADS), Fog Lights on Turn / Signal, Needle Sweep, Oil Temp / Lap Timer, Ambient Lighting Control, High-Beam Assist engage / disengage speed thresholds

#12 Dannybear83

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:46 AM

Spoken to them yesterday, The lady said that it shouldn’t go back to “D” and should stay in E after an restart,
So it’s been booked it for next Tuesday,
In my other Audi’s when that I have it efficiency mode the and I am doing over 50mph the car normally coast (engine cuts off) it would display “E” but with no gear number, I never notice this when it’s displayed with “D”
Attached File  Adjustments.JPG (437.11K)
Number of downloads: 12

#13 rifleman

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 11:01 AM

View PostDannybear83, on 03 September 2019 - 10:46 AM, said:

Spoken to them yesterday, The lady said that it shouldn’t go back to “D” and should stay in E after an restart,
In my other Audi’s when that I have it efficiency mode the and I am doing over 50mph the car normally coast (engine cuts off) it would display “E” but with no gear number, I never notice this when it’s displayed with “D”
Attachment Adjustments.JPG

Now that's very interesting - every one of us on here seems to be sharing the same experience as you whilst in Economy Mode.

We can't all have a fault. Either your workshop will tell you 'this is normal', or Firmware update inbound me thinks?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 AllanG

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:30 PM

View Postrifleman, on 03 September 2019 - 11:01 AM, said:

Now that's very interesting - every one of us on here seems to be sharing the same experience as you whilst in Economy Mode.

We can't all have a fault. Either your workshop will tell you 'this is normal', or Firmware update inbound me thinks?

Yep, I think we’d all be very interested in what your Audi dealer has to say about this, as it appears all our Mk2 Q5’s are doing the same.

#15 Dannybear83

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:29 PM

From head office they said it’s normal to act like that and a large number people have complained about this,
I went on a test drive with engineer and he can notice the difference, When it’s in E doesn’t drop down a gear as quick as if it was in D, He reckon its starts in D to help the engine get warmer on start up

#16 AllanG

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:49 AM

Many thanks for this update, Dannybear83.........looks like we’ll have to live with this ‘design’.

#17 rifleman

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:48 AM

View PostDannybear83, on 03 September 2019 - 10:46 AM, said:

Attachment Adjustments.JPG

I read the manual - it says it will change from E to D - this is normal.

What was the result of your trip to the Audi garage? I bet it still changes from E to D?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Dannybear83

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:07 PM

Yeah they confirmed it supposed to go back to D, but my still main issue that when it in efficiency my “E” feels way more slower and longer to change gears compared efficiency “D” where it changes gears quicker, the Audi techie noticed this too, he mention might be designed to help with the C02 level

#19 CHRIS123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSW SCOTLAND

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:49 PM

Picked up the Q5 from dealer today after wheel arch recall, brake pedal remedial work done and other queries which were looked into, I was told that whilst model year 2018 had this feature, year 2019 Q5 did not revert back to ' D' drive. Apparently the ' fault' was fixed for 2019.

#20 Dannybear83

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:54 PM

View PostCHRIS123, on 07 November 2019 - 08:49 PM, said:

Picked up the Q5 from dealer today after wheel arch recall, brake pedal remedial work done and other queries which were looked into, I was told that whilst model year 2018 had this feature, year 2019 Q5 did not revert back to ' D' drive. Apparently the ' fault' was fixed for 2019.

Lol well that’s a lie.....Mines is an 19plate 😔

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users