New SQ5 insurance shock

23 replies to this topic

#1 AnniePower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:23 AM

I was already to place an order for a factory build new SQ5 tdi to take delivery next March having been told by the dealer possible 6 months wait . The deal was a massive 19% off list on a finance deal but was assured I could pay it straight off . I decided to have a check on insurance I pay £324 at the moment for my Q5 2017 s line ; 57 years old clean licence full no claims ; my current insurer LV won’t touch the car at all and the cheapest quote is £983 with a black box fitted , tried everywhere but no joy but a comparable X3 M40 comes out at £505 , this seems very bizarre .

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyAudiQ5.com

#2 RichieRich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:13 AM

Hi AnniePower

That is VERY expensive. I don’t even pay anywhere near that to insure both mine and my wife’s car. I went from a 2.0tdi Q5 to an SQ5 and the insurance only increased slightly. I would recommend shopping around, maybe use a comparison website or a broker.....
SQ5 3.0 V6 TFSI - Ibis white - Comfort and sound pack - Light and vision pack - Storage pack - Red brake calipers - Electric folding auto dimming door mirrors with memory - Electric panoramic glass sunroof - 3 spoke flat bottomed steering wheel - 21" wheels - Collapsible spare wheel
Previous - Q5 2.0 TDI S Line Plus Quattro - Glacier white - Tech pack high - Electric folding door mirrors - 3 spoke flat bottomed steering wheel - 20" wheels
Previous - Q3 2.0 TDI S Line Quattro - Glacier white - Electric folding door mirrors - SD card sat nav

#3 AnniePower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:30 PM

Hi , ran out of places to try , all the comparison sites only give around 9 quotes in total the best without a black box is admiral £1200 ; tried a broker on this forum and that was £1600 , you have to question who is going to buy these cars with such insurance premiums and what are they going to be worth resale value , since spoke to dealership manager who also can’t believe it . I can insure the petrol SQ5 354bhp for half the cost . Confused. Com lol

#4 missile

Still Game

• Members
  • 4503 posts
  • LocationCraiglang

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:29 PM

Hi,

That is very expensive quotes. I am amazed, you really need to look harder. Try here https://motor.co-ope....motor/start.do

My SQ5 in 2018-19 with Direct Line for £312.48. I changed to the Coop this year £336.
2013 Audi SQ5 Misano RED

#5 AnniePower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:35 PM

Hi missile , thanks for link to co-op insurance just filled all details in and quote declined , like I said spent hours and hours on this but quotes if any are ridiculous ; nothing wrong with postcode area and kept in a locked garage overnight ; same address for 20 years and had some nice cars but never had this problem .

#6 AnniePower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:55 PM

Hi , back again due to frustration, friend of mine in same city but different postcode , he drives a Range Rover sport 19 plate and his wife drives a macan insured with LV and pay £700 and £430 respectively, he has tried for a quote for new SQ5 and his price is same as mine approximately £980 with a black box fitted , go figure .

#7 missile

Still Game

• Members
  • 4503 posts
  • LocationCraiglang

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:09 PM

I find it hard to believe the Audi is twice the price for a Porsche. My Porsche Boxster was considerably more to insure than my SQ5.

It seems very strange that coop welcome me, but decline to quote you. I can only surmise there may be something in your driving history & recorded as a black mark on the insurers database - this may be an error.

I would suggest you try phoning. They may tell you more than you can glean from a refused online quote.
2013 Audi SQ5 Misano RED

#8 AnniePower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:22 PM

It’s a total mystery maybe it’s the new engine combined with electric motor , as regards driving history never had a point in my life and as I say mate with £80k plus Range Rover gets same quote £980 and who wants a black box on an SQ5

#9 Justanhonestman

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

Hi - not being cheeky here, but have you tried Saga Insurance ? I’m with Admiral for my petrol Q5 but Saga beat Admiral for my renewal quote by £10. Wasn’t worth changing for a tenner but you might get more joy phoning them. Good luck.

#10 AndyM

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

Try Audi Insurance. I have 2 cars so had to start a new policy with zero no claims discount on my SQ5, I paid £450 with them.

#11 Isleaiw

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:20 PM

Does sound weird, my petrol SQ5 is insured with LV...

And just changed my insurance to new car and it basically doubled... that’s not an SQ5 diesel though !

#12 SteveMcB

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 1428 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:29 PM

Might be something to do with the car being so new it's not on their systems yet, FWIW I'd put the order in ( at 19% discount I'm tempted myself!!), by the time you get it I reckon it'll be insurable.
16 plate SQ5 plus, sepang, ADS, BnO, HHA, connect, pan roof, folding mirrors, rear camera, swivelling peepers, front bum warmers, piano black inlays, partition net, storage pack, austin allegro steering wheel, fully wired towbar, collapsible spare (grudged extra). Mods: gloss black alloys, satin black exhaust tips, red calipers, kufatec sound booster, metal footrest, K1S dash cam

#13 AnniePower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:03 AM

Morning guys , tried Audi and got a quote £864 , already tried saga and they will only quote for petrol due to new diesel not listed with them so stevemcb may have a good valid point . Last week when I spoke to my present insurance LV their underwriters said the new tdi SQ5 was a car that they would not be insuring at all , I don’t want to order car although very tempted and be left in this situation also looking at early retirement so could do without stumping over a grand out each year on top of road tax . Another point is all my quotes are with the missus on as a named driver ,if I take her off it goes up to £3k .

#14 rapport25

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:21 AM

View PostSteveMcB, on 20 August 2019 - 09:29 PM, said:

Might be something to do with the car being so new it's not on their systems yet, FWIW I'd put the order in ( at 19% discount I'm tempted myself!!), by the time you get it I reckon it'll be insurable.

Agreed. We had a similar issue when purchasing a brand new house.

As this area was previously farm land. House insurance quotes were sky high.

We even had to have an alarm linked to the police to get insurance & a gated driveway.

When we moved in & changed insurance the price was OK & none of the above were requested.

Rappy :-)

#15 JamesSQ

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Posted 25 August 2019 - 02:29 AM

Agreed and think when a few are eventually registered insurance will come down.

Rappy, When i bought a new house which was built on an old coal mine insurance for both car and house was low as there was very little previous crime houses were built in phases I was phase 5 and phase 1 I think was about 2 years previous.

Not sure about insurance companies now but I remember when I was about 19 I was driving around in a rover 820 vitesse 2.0 turbo 200hp, my friends all had nova's etc and my insurance was cheaper because the probability of a normal rover driver (older gentelmanPosted Image ) having an accident was low vs a 19 year old in a small hatchback
Audi SQ5 Plus in Monsoon Grey - Titanium Wheels
ADS, B&O, Advanced Key, Memory Seats and Mirrors, Hill Hold, Black Inlays, Flat Bottom Steering Wheel

Previous Cars:
1969 Mini (kept it for 10+ years) had various second cars, 1994 Rover 214 GSI, 2000 Vauxhall Omega MV6, 1994 Classic Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 on LPG
1998 Rover 820 Vitesse 2.0T 200hp sold these to buy my first house then, 2005 VW Polo SE 1.0 replaced with, 2008 Audi A4 SE 2.0Tdi replaced with, 2013 VW Tiguan R-Line 2.0Tdi replaced by SQ5

#16 Jamesk

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:36 PM

Check again now, the car is now on the system for a lot of insurers and the prices have come down 👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 Stobsie

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:19 PM

If you're still struggling give Chris Knott a try 01424 200477.
SQ5- Fairy dust white, 21" bling alloys, big hole in the roof, 2 tone cow, lazy tailgate.

#18 Richard_Lincoln

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:47 PM

Apparently Direct Line do not want my business for my 3.0 tdi Q5 in Lincoln with a no claims over 9 years and off street parking quoting £920...Been with them since 2011.

Online through Quotezone cheapest £314. Moneysupermaket similar. Went for Hastings Premier better excess, same breakdown, legal expenses etc. £439. Hastings appear to be wanting business and giving good prices at present. Worth 10 minutes of time.

FYI Moneysupermaket prices were £15 more than going direct. Quotezone £5 - £10.

If you use a comparison site, my advice is to take the quote and go direct. Sometimes errors occur on comparison sites and going direct should be cheaper. If it isn't something is not right. I have seen a number of times where comparison sites have got it wrong and the actual insurers have bumped the price.

#19 Richard P

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:53 PM

Hi I was speaking to Admiral insurance today and asked them in passing as I had read this thread and was puzzled?
Really helpful guy.He told me this is quite common with new cars.Essentially they do not have enough on cover and this makes them high risk thus high premium.He said that will change as more come onto cover.
Hope that helps?

#20 Amrinder01

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 03:24 PM

I just got a shocker of insurance quote, brought my new sq5 petrol last year and insured with Admiral for ~750, 1 year later has gone up to 1290. Nothing changed for me or associated history.

Shopped around cheapest quote Hastings about 1k.

Combined with the woeful inefficiency of the sq5 when driven locally the few mins of fun makes me question whether its worth it?

Any luck in the end with others?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users