Sound Upgrades - B&O Retrofit or Alpine - myAUDIQ5 forum

Sound Upgrades - B&O Retrofit or Alpine

29 replies to this topic

#1 Arrow

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:35 PM

I picked up my Q5 in December and have been following this forum for the past few months, loads of great threads with useful questions and tips.

I have the standard Audi sound system (non B&O) with 3D MMI. I'm really keen to upgrade the sound system to something with more definition but am a little put off with the idea of a full B&O retrofit. Although it's possible to source the parts, the wiring loom requirements and component protection makes this a bit of a non-starter.

I wondered if anybody had tried the Alpine SPC-200AU and SPC-100AU upgrades designed specifically for the Q5?

Still looks to be an involved install but is supplied with wiring loom and instructions!

Or any other suggestions - B&O speakers only and aftermarket amp etc....

Thanks

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyAudiQ5.com

#2 Justanhonestman

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:09 PM

Hi Arrow Welcome to the forum and hope you are enjoying your car. I rember further back in the forum that the B&O system didn’t get a great write up from some members. Never heard Alpine quality but seen some good comments on their gear. The Alpine system may be the easier installation if the loom is supplied. Best of luck.

#3 Moss2000

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:20 AM

I have very successfully upgraded the sound on my Audi Q5. Mine also had Audi Sound System.

What I disliked most was the front dash tweeters. They are so sharp. I did quick a lot of research and fitted some quality Vifa tweeters. The are around £30 each, but do not be fooled these tweeters are used in some very high end speaker systems. The improvement was dramatic.

Vifa XT25SC90

I was then going to fit a full aftermarket amp, but came across a pioneer amp which is plug and play (using a suitable harness). It significantly increases the richness and bass of the system. Do not underestimate it.

GM-D1004

I also fitted a sub, but for ease and expense the two mods above make a substantial difference.

I’ve had the above installed for around 8 months and have not felt the need to tinker further. 👍

Regards Mark.

#4 Arrow

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:04 PM

Great, thanks all for the input.

It’s really useful to hear from others, and will check out the suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 Gingersi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:16 AM

View PostMoss2000, on 30 May 2018 - 10:20 AM, said:

I have very successfully upgraded the sound on my Audi Q5. Mine also had Audi Sound System.

What I disliked most was the front dash tweeters. They are so sharp. I did quick a lot of research and fitted some quality Vifa tweeters. The are around £30 each, but do not be fooled these tweeters are used in some very high end speaker systems. The improvement was dramatic.

Vifa XT25SC90

I was then going to fit a full aftermarket amp, but came across a pioneer amp which is plug and play (using a suitable harness). It significantly increases the richness and bass of the system. Do not underestimate it.

GM-D1004

I also fitted a sub, but for ease and expense the two mods above make a substantial difference.

I’ve had the above installed for around 8 months and have not felt the need to tinker further.

Regards Mark.

Hi Mark,

Like Arrow I was also looking to upgrade my sound system in the car. Just have a couple of questions if you don't mind. Oh and I have a 2015 S-line plus.

Where did you install the Pioneer amp and did it come with the wiring harness? did it require soldering and where? did you remove the centre console or install it somewhere else?

Also did you only change the dash tweeters or all the speakers in the car?

Arrow, would love to know how you get on after your upgrade as well and how easy you found it and what kit you got etc. I assume you have the new model Q5 though which probably wont help me!!

Simon

#6 Gingersi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:16 AM

Vifa XT25SC90

GM-D1004

I’ve had the above installed for around 8 months and have not felt the need to tinker further.

Regards Mark.

Hi Mark,

Like Arrow I was also looking to upgrade my sound system in the car. Just have a couple of questions if you don't mind. Oh and I have a 2015 S-line plus.

Where did you install the Pioneer amp and did it come with the wiring harness? did it require soldering and where? did you remove the centre console or install it somewhere else?

Also did you only change the dash tweeters or all the speakers in the car?

Arrow, would love to know how you get on after your upgrade as well and how easy you found it and what kit you got etc. I assume you have the new model Q5 though which probably wont help me!!

Simon

#7 Moss2000

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:37 PM

Hi there. My car is the old model too.

I’ll take some photos tomorrow. The pioneer amp fits above the standard amp in the boot (it’s pretty tiny). There is no soldering or running of wires at all required. An extra harness is required but otherwise it’s plug and play. I can install or remove with in 45 seconds.

In my last q5 I replaced all the speakers with B&O ones, but really it’s not worth while. The tweeters made a substantial difference, as does the amp. The upgrade all in is around £170. I’m perfectly happy with the results and haven’t adjusted things since fitting. (I did however try 5 or 6 different tweeters before settling on these)

Regards mark.

#8 Gingersi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:31 AM

Thanks Mark,

Where did you get the extra wiring harness from? You haven't felt the need to replace any of the other speakers i.e in the door card or A pillar by the mirrors? I like the sound of this upgrade as its not costing a bomb like some of the other solutions I've seen! Some photos would be great.

Arrow - sorry to have hijacked your topic!!

Simon

#9 Moss2000

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:11 PM

Sorry for the delay - not a lot to see.

Here is photo of the amp to show how small it is & a pic of the harness.

Again with the harness there no need for any other connections or modifications (no extra power / remote etc).

Plenty of user reviews of the amp here:

https://www.crutchfi...r-GM-D1004.html

Regards Mark

Attached File(s)

#10 daniellove1512

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:14 AM

also mark

i have the B&O system in my 2011 q5 can i still use GM-D1004 instead of the B&O amp

would these be the 1's i need

https://www.amazon.c...8&condition=new

1 more thing what harness did you use have you got a link

sorry for all the questions

cheers

#11 Moss2000

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:39 AM

Hi,

The B&O setup is different.

For one thing your teeeters are in the front door sail panels, were as the none b&o cars have the tweeters in the dash. On this basis the tweeters I recommended would not fit.

I have read up a lot on the subject - for B&O cars it would seem the best reasonably priced upgrades are as follows:

1. Replace the dashboard speakers with Audison Voce AV 3.0
2. Upgrade the sub woofer.

I would try just replacing the dash speakers first and see how you go.

I would leave your B&O amp in place.

Good luck. Regards mark.

#12 daniellove1512

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:08 PM

cheers Mark thanks for coming back to me i will keep you updated on what i have done

also it says the Audison Voce AV 3.0 are mid range speakers is this correct

thanks

#13 Moss2000

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:28 PM

Yes - the B&O speakers in the dash are mid range. The Audisons are one of the few aftermarket speakers that will fit the q5 dashboard.

There is a massive thread somewhere on a guy who fits these to his a4 with excellent results (so it concludes).

Good luck 👍

#14 PLuKE-UK

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:59 PM

I have seen a whole set of B&O speakers for sale. The car I am looking at buying has the normal Audi audio, can the speakers be plug and play fitted?

Thanks

#15 Moss2000

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:40 PM

The door speakers are all plug and play.

A none [email protected] car will not have any wiring for the front door tweeters - this can easily however be run up from the door speaker. You will need B&O grills though as the ones on none B&O cars are just solid plastic.

As before regarding the dash speakers, in the none B&O car these are tweeters and the tweeter connection is smalller than that of the mid range speaker. Easy to get round, but not plug and play.

It’s not just a case of adding speakers to get better sound though as the B&O amp has more channels to run more speakers.

In my opinion, changing the door speakers for the B&O ones is worthwhile (tighter bass).

After many hours tweaking these things to my ears as per my previous post, upgrade to the pioneer amp (with a parrot sot lead) is totally plug and play and a 10 minute reversible job.

Following this either replace the dash tweeters with better ones, or replace them with the B&O mids. This raises the sound stage and takes some of the harsh treble away.

The above, to my ears gives a huge improvement, is pretty cheap (circa £120), and reversible. If you want more you can then start ripping door cards off and replacing the door speakers etc- but you may well find it’s enough.

Good luck - let me know how you go.

Mark.

I have upgraded speakers on several q5’s.

#16 PLuKE-UK

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:30 PM

View PostMoss2000, on 04 March 2019 - 09:40 PM, said:

The door speakers are all plug and play.

A none [email protected] car will not have any wiring for the front door tweeters - this can easily however be run up from the door speaker. You will need B&O grills though as the ones on none B&O cars are just solid plastic.

As before regarding the dash speakers, in the none B&O car these are tweeters and the tweeter connection is smalller than that of the mid range speaker. Easy to get round, but not plug and play.

It’s not just a case of adding speakers to get better sound though as the B&O amp has more channels to run more speakers.

In my opinion, changing the door speakers for the B&O ones is worthwhile (tighter bass).

After many hours tweaking these things to my ears as per my previous post, upgrade to the pioneer amp (with a parrot sot lead) is totally plug and play and a 10 minute reversible job.

Following this either replace the dash tweeters with better ones, or replace them with the B&O mids. This raises the sound stage and takes some of the harsh treble away.

The above, to my ears gives a huge improvement, is pretty cheap (circa £120), and reversible. If you want more you can then start ripping door cards off and replacing the door speakers etc- but you may well find it’s enough.

Good luck - let me know how you go.

Mark.

I have upgraded speakers on several q5’s.

Thanks Mark.

My current BMW has the HK audio, so I would like to keep the sound quality, but also the base, as the BMW has the subwoofers under the seats.

Does the Audi have a sub as standard, or does it rely on just speakers?

Thank you!

#17 Moss2000

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:05 PM

Not 100% sure on SE models, but s-line and above have Audi Sound. 6 channel, 10 speaker system (includes a sub in the boot).

[email protected] adds further channels and speakers.

One advantage of the Audi sound is that you can control the sub level from the head unit.

If you want to start upgrading the system think carefully.

Non MMI (none sat Nav) models send signals by copper wire, MMI units send signals by fibre optic.

I have had MMI equipped cars with both Audi Sound and B&O. To my ears there’s not much in it. I find Audi Sound pretty good and B&O better, but ultimately disappointing.

Hope that helps. Mark.

#18 mattiasboivie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 02:07 PM

Vifa XT25SC90

GM-D1004

Regards Mark.

This is great news and an upgrade im def. going to do on my Q5 -09 with the concert stereo. I noticed the Vifa tweeters are 4 ohms and the original is 8 ohms, is this a problem or upgrading the Pioneer amp takes care of that?
/mattias

#19 mattiasboivie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 02:07 PM

I accidentally double posted, please ignore this until i figure out how to delete it

#20 Moss2000

myAUDIQ5 Pro

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:47 PM

Sorry for the delay. The standard dash tweeters are 4 ohms.

In any event changing one set of tweeters is unlikely to cause problems anyway.

As far as I recalll in the Audi sound setup the speakers are

Dashboard left, right and centre - 4ohms.
Front door speakers. - 2 ohms.
Rear door speakers and tweeters - 4 ohms.
Sub. 2 ohms.

How that helps.

I’d definitely stick with the amp and tweeter upgrade initially.

Upgrading speakers without going the full hog (upgraded bigger amps etc) is unlikely to work well. The standard speakers are actually fairly good and are easily driven.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users