New Q5 on the road

14 replies to this topic

#1 Greasemonger

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

Seen my first 2017 Q5 looks ok didn't stand out to me. Actually thought it was a Q7.
SQ5 Sepang Blue,21"Wheels,3 Spoke Streering Wheel,Advanced Key,Audi Drive Select,Audi Music Interface,Audi Parking System Advanced,B&O Sound System,Black Pack With Rails,Rear Bench Seat Plus,Carbon Atlas Inlays,Electric Folding Mirrors Body Coloured,Panoramic Roof,Memory Seat,Nappa Leather,Heated Front Seats,Hill Hold Assist,Towbar,Privacy Glass,Red Brake Calipers,Remote Tailgate,Tech Pack With HDD Nav.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyAudiQ5.com

#2 Skiman

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

Oh no I knew I should have ordered a Merc GLC!

#3 Sj1000

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 808 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:14 PM

I was following a new Q7 yesterday, and was thinking how incredibly bland it looks, all the old time charisma... just... gone.
It improves by side and front views, but still nowhere near the effect the original behemoth produced...
I believe the new Q5 is a slightly better design, but again, has just lost some old time magic, somewhere along the line.
Hard to put a finger on, no doubt my old fashioned , reluctance to change, brain kicking in... but seems an end of an era.
2016 2.0l TDI 190ps, S-line Plus S-tronic, Glacier White, Black, Piano black, Alcantara leather, Heated front seats, Electric Folding Mirrors, Drive Select, Running Boards, Parking system Advanced, Hill Hold Assist, Premium Mats, Boot liner

#4 Snow Man

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:41 PM

They are in pretty much all the dealers show rooms now.
The New Q5 looks much better that in the photos and its a genuine step up or two over the MK1s.
I like them.

#5 Skiman

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:10 PM

View PostSnow Man, on 19 March 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

They are in pretty much all the dealers show rooms now.
The New Q5 looks much better that in the photos and its a genuine step up or two over the MK1s.
I like them.

I agree that the mk2 is a step up from the mk1. I just think it is a case of getting used to the differences. I had a similar problem with mk2/mk3 Audi TT which I now really like.

Unfortunately I now think the interior of the mk1 Q5 looks quite dated despite the high quality of the materials used.

#6 Greasemonger

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

Yeah don't get me wrong I like it and the interior is much better but can't see me getting just the Q5 it would have to be the SQ5 or RS depending on price as I can see it being over 60 grand.
SQ5 Sepang Blue,21"Wheels,3 Spoke Streering Wheel,Advanced Key,Audi Drive Select,Audi Music Interface,Audi Parking System Advanced,B&O Sound System,Black Pack With Rails,Rear Bench Seat Plus,Carbon Atlas Inlays,Electric Folding Mirrors Body Coloured,Panoramic Roof,Memory Seat,Nappa Leather,Heated Front Seats,Hill Hold Assist,Towbar,Privacy Glass,Red Brake Calipers,Remote Tailgate,Tech Pack With HDD Nav.

#7 rifleman

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 641 posts
  • LocationAldershot, England, UK

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:13 AM

looks like there will be one less new Q5 on the road - i was supposed to test-drive a new Q5 Sport this afternoon with Camberley Audi - i've just received an email from them apologising that the test-drive is off because the brand new Q5 they only received on Monday has been crashed and written-off!

i'll try find out what happened but probably won't.

surely this must be the first loss of an new Audi Q5 in the UK?
current car - Q5 (MY16) S-Line Plus 2.0 (190PS EU6) S-Tronic, ordered 19 Dec 15 - delivered 1 March 2016

Floret Silver, Extended Black Styling Pack (21" Black Alloys, Black Grille, Black Mirrors, Black Roof Rails, Black Inlays etc.), Panoramic Sunroof, Technical Pack Advanced (Adaptive Cruise Control / Audi Parking System Plus Audi Side Assist), Audi Phone Connect (High) - (with HTC One M9), Flat Bottom 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Fine Napa Leather Front and Rear Heated Seats, Hill Hold Assist, High Beam Assist, LED Light Pack, Storage Pack, Heated Electric Folding Door Mirrors.

Added with VAG-Com: Rear LED's as DRL's, Audi Drive Select (ADS), Fog Lights on Turn / Signal, Needle Sweep, Oil Temp / Lap Timer, Ambient Lighting Control, High-Beam Assist engage / disengage speed thresholds

previous car - Q5 (MY14) S-Line Plus 2.0 (177PS EU5) S-Tronic, ordered 15 May 2013 - delivered 19 Sept 13

Lava Grey, Off Road Alloys, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi Phone Connect (High) - (with HTC One M8), Flat Bottom 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Fine Napa Leather Front and Rear Heated Seats, Hill Hold Assist, High Beam Assist, Light Pack, Storage Pack, Folding Door Mirrors.

Added with VAG-Com: Rear LED's as DRL's, Audi Drive Select (ADS), Fog Lights on Turn / Signal, Needle Sweep, Oil Temp / Lap Timer, Ambient Lighting Control, High-Beam Assist engage / disengage speed thresholds, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

#8 Ransman

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:02 AM

View Postrifleman, on 22 March 2017 - 08:13 AM, said:

looks like there will be one less new Q5 on the road - i was supposed to test-drive a new Q5 Sport this afternoon with Camberley Audi - i've just received an email from them apologising that the test-drive is off because the brand new Q5 they only received on Monday has been crashed and written-off!

i'll try find out what happened but probably won't.

surely this must be the first loss of an new Audi Q5 in the UK?

Ouch!
I have a test drive booked tomorrow morning (from Bristol Audi) and been told I can take it away for a couple of hours. Planning an interesting route but I will not be wellying it!
Q5 S-Line Plus 190ps 2.0tdi S-tronic. Daytona Grey.

#9 HB14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSurrey

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:41 PM

Rifleman get yourself down to Southampton Audi and ask for Will Lawrence or Peter Smith. Both of them would go the extra mile to help you out and they have 2 new Q5's currently. I have to say I like the interior but not the exterior, well thats until Audi change the alloys and add a black pack.
Q5 (MY16) S-Line Plus 2.0 (190PS EU6) S-Tronic, - Suzuka Grey. Extended Black Styling Pack (21" Black Alloys, Black Grille, Black Mirrors, Black Roof Rails, Black Inlays etc.), Technical Pack Advanced, Audi Phone Connect (High) Fine Napa Leather Front Heated Seats, LED Light, Reversing Camera, Pack,Heated Electric Folding Door Mirrors, B&O Sounds system (Awesome!)

#10 Ransman

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

Well I had a test drive this morning in an undamaged one! I had it for over two hours and did around 90 miles in it, including the "bikers favourite" road from Chepstow to Usk.

It was an S-Line with 20" wheels - I have the Sport on order with 18's.

Colour was Manhattan Grey which, to be honest, I could easily live with but hopefully I will be as pleased with the Moonlight Blue.

First impresssions inside - I like the new layout (made my "old" one feel dated when I got back into it). The handling does feel better than the current one so the reviews are spot on. Door mirrors are in a much better position and do something to reduce the blind spots on the current car.

Performance wise, it didn't feel much more sprightly than my current car, but it only had 500 miles on the clock and I try to drive for economy more than anything so that wouldn't worry me. Pick up was about the same as the current 190ps but I do think in retrospect that the stop/start works on a different logic (I need to confirm this). It seems as though it activates when you come to a stop but the engine didn't seem to restart when I released the footbrake - it only restarted when I pressed the accelerator so I think that might be an improvement but I need more time on it to judge.

Drive Select seemed to be quite effective; it was in Dynamic when I picked it up and that explined why it was holding its gears more. Efficiency mode on the other hand felt quite sluggish so a bit of experimentation needed to work out the best settings. It does seem to be higher geared, with 1,400rpm at 60mph - I think the current one is around 1,500rpm at the same speed but I didn't get chance to confirm that on the way home.

Quite impressed with the Virtual Cockpit - I do like the new method of displaying average and instantaneous mpg but I am a bit nerdy like that. Google Maps overlay on the satnav was really cool.

I couldn't see a 12v socket in the boot but the salesman pointed it out to me in a new location behind the netting - I preferred the previous location but hey-ho at least there is one there to power my Audi coolbox :-)

I zeroed the fuel consumption gauge before starting and it was on 43.9mpg when I returned after a mixture of driving over the 90 mile trip. Seems like an improvement but time will tell how much better it is.

Overall, apart from the boot being higher, seems like improvements all round - but the jury is out on the door handles.

#11 Ransman

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

Oh and I do like that you can close the boot from the key fob - why on earth could you not do that before!

#12 cruiser

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:40 PM

Jury's defo left the building on the handles :-)

#13 Ransman

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:52 PM

View Postcruiser, on 24 March 2017 - 09:40 PM, said:

Jury's defo left the building on the handles :-)

But I wouldn't, personally, let them put me off the car.

#14 rifleman

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 641 posts
  • LocationAldershot, England, UK

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:37 PM

View PostRansman, on 23 March 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

I couldn't see a 12v socket in the boot but the salesman pointed it out to me in a new location behind the netting - I preferred the previous location but hey-ho at least there is one there to power my Audi coolbox :-)

i was in one today - i nearly missed it so took this pic when i found it!

Posted Image
current car - Q5 (MY16) S-Line Plus 2.0 (190PS EU6) S-Tronic, ordered 19 Dec 15 - delivered 1 March 2016

Floret Silver, Extended Black Styling Pack (21" Black Alloys, Black Grille, Black Mirrors, Black Roof Rails, Black Inlays etc.), Panoramic Sunroof, Technical Pack Advanced (Adaptive Cruise Control / Audi Parking System Plus Audi Side Assist), Audi Phone Connect (High) - (with HTC One M9), Flat Bottom 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Fine Napa Leather Front and Rear Heated Seats, Hill Hold Assist, High Beam Assist, LED Light Pack, Storage Pack, Heated Electric Folding Door Mirrors.

Added with VAG-Com: Rear LED's as DRL's, Audi Drive Select (ADS), Fog Lights on Turn / Signal, Needle Sweep, Oil Temp / Lap Timer, Ambient Lighting Control, High-Beam Assist engage / disengage speed thresholds

previous car - Q5 (MY14) S-Line Plus 2.0 (177PS EU5) S-Tronic, ordered 15 May 2013 - delivered 19 Sept 13

Lava Grey, Off Road Alloys, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi Phone Connect (High) - (with HTC One M8), Flat Bottom 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Fine Napa Leather Front and Rear Heated Seats, Hill Hold Assist, High Beam Assist, Light Pack, Storage Pack, Folding Door Mirrors.

Added with VAG-Com: Rear LED's as DRL's, Audi Drive Select (ADS), Fog Lights on Turn / Signal, Needle Sweep, Oil Temp / Lap Timer, Ambient Lighting Control, High-Beam Assist engage / disengage speed thresholds, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

#15 Ransman

myAUDIQ5 Master

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

View Postrifleman, on 25 March 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

i was in one today - i nearly missed it so took this pic when i found it!

Posted Image

Impressions?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users